Mastering the Audio tracks of DV files in MM6

JTinTX

Mastering the Audio tracks of DV files in MM6
I have noticed that MM6 does not let you increase the volume of an audio
track of a DV file in the timeline, while the previous versions would.

So if I am trying to mix the volume of the video audio, with the volume of a
music track playing at the same time, the only option I have is to lower the
relative volume of the music track.

This limitation can be seen when I adjust the volume of the audio track on a
DV timeline object, and by default the volume is already at the MAX setting.

My DV files have audio levels that vary greatly. The content is often
interviews and such. I have found that using Sony Soundforge to master the
audio tracks of the DV files is a decent workaround but it takes a lot
longer, and has cost associated.

However by using some processing I was able to compress the peaks and bring
up the quitest parts of my DV and now the whole video file is at a much more
constant relative volume. It was a lot of work to figure that out.

Are there any other solutions out there? Any way to work around the MM6
limit on increasing DV audio levels?
PapaJohn

Re: Mastering the Audio tracks of DV files in MM6
I'm seeing the volume of all my audio clips defaulting to the maximum volume
setting, not just the audio track of DV-AVI files.... with the only
adjustment being to lower it.

While the default in XP is the mid-point....

I don't see a way around it without doing what you are... using another app.

PapaJohn