PVR software for Vista

Michael Ray Brown

PVR software for Vista
I'm running Vista Business, and have a Leadtek WinFast TV2000 tuner card
installed, complete with Vista drivers. Unfortunately, Leadtek has yet to
update their Personal Video Recorder software to work in Vista, so I need
some program to watch and record shows on my PC.

I realize I can upgrade to Vista Ultimate and get the Media Center, but $140
seems a lot to spend just for this feature. Besides, I could probably buy a
new tuner card with Vista-compatible software for less. What's more, I'd
like to record to DVD-ready MPEG2 files, and I understand that Media Center
uses a different format.

I believe that Cyberlink makes a Vista-ready PVR, and Beyond TV is supposed
to be Vista-ready soon. Are there any other (hopefully cheaper than $100)
programs out there that will let me watch TV and record to MPEG2 files on my
Vista Business machine?

--
Michael

Dave

Re: PVR software for Vista
Nero 7 Ultra includes a PVR... but I haven't used it, as I prefer Win MC.
http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Nero_Home.html

I used Beyond TV on my old XP box, and I liked it, except for how long it
took to startup at boot.
Their site says it is compatible with Vista 32, but not 64 bit.

"Michael Ray Brown" <velcrofaceNoSpam@yahooNoSpam.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Business, and have a Leadtek WinFast TV2000 tuner card
> installed, complete with Vista drivers. Unfortunately, Leadtek has yet to
> update their Personal Video Recorder software to work in Vista, so I need
> some program to watch and record shows on my PC.
>
> I realize I can upgrade to Vista Ultimate and get the Media Center, but
> $140 seems a lot to spend just for this feature. Besides, I could
> probably buy a new tuner card with Vista-compatible software for less.
> What's more, I'd like to record to DVD-ready MPEG2 files, and I understand
> that Media Center uses a different format.
>
> I believe that Cyberlink makes a Vista-ready PVR, and Beyond TV is
> supposed to be Vista-ready soon. Are there any other (hopefully cheaper
> than $100) programs out there that will let me watch TV and record to
> MPEG2 files on my Vista Business machine?
>
> --
> Michael

Michael D

Re: PVR software for Vista
GBPVR has been updated for Vista it's freeware http://www.gbpvr.com/ .

"Michael Ray Brown" <velcrofaceNoSpam@yahooNoSpam.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Business, and have a Leadtek WinFast TV2000 tuner card
> installed, complete with Vista drivers. Unfortunately, Leadtek has yet to
> update their Personal Video Recorder software to work in Vista, so I need
> some program to watch and record shows on my PC.
>
> I realize I can upgrade to Vista Ultimate and get the Media Center, but
> $140 seems a lot to spend just for this feature. Besides, I could
> probably buy a new tuner card with Vista-compatible software for less.
> What's more, I'd like to record to DVD-ready MPEG2 files, and I understand
> that Media Center uses a different format.
>
> I believe that Cyberlink makes a Vista-ready PVR, and Beyond TV is
> supposed to be Vista-ready soon. Are there any other (hopefully cheaper
> than $100) programs out there that will let me watch TV and record to
> MPEG2 files on my Vista Business machine?
>
> --
> Michael

Michael Ray Brown

Re: PVR software for Vista
I downloaded the trial version of Beyond TV, which produced awfully
distorted audio and bad sync. Lots of dropped frames. I immediately
uninstalled it.

Nero packs a lot into the package, but I'm hesitant to buy it. After
testing four different PVR recorders with miserable results under Vista as
compared to XP, I'm beginning to lose hope.

--
Michael

"Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Nero 7 Ultra includes a PVR... but I haven't used it, as I prefer Win MC.
> http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Nero_Home.html
>
> I used Beyond TV on my old XP box, and I liked it, except for how long it
> took to startup at boot.
> Their site says it is compatible with Vista 32, but not 64 bit.
>

> "Michael Ray Brown" <velcrofaceNoSpam@yahooNoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Vista Business, and have a Leadtek WinFast TV2000 tuner card
>> installed, complete with Vista drivers. Unfortunately, Leadtek has yet
>> to update their Personal Video Recorder software to work in Vista, so I
>> need some program to watch and record shows on my PC.
>>
>> I realize I can upgrade to Vista Ultimate and get the Media Center, but
>> $140 seems a lot to spend just for this feature. Besides, I could
>> probably buy a new tuner card with Vista-compatible software for less.
>> What's more, I'd like to record to DVD-ready MPEG2 files, and I
>> understand that Media Center uses a different format.
>>
>> I believe that Cyberlink makes a Vista-ready PVR, and Beyond TV is
>> supposed to be Vista-ready soon. Are there any other (hopefully cheaper
>> than $100) programs out there that will let me watch TV and record to
>> MPEG2 files on my Vista Business machine?
>>
>> --
>> Michael

Michael Ray Brown

Re: PVR software for Vista
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and installed GBPVR, but it refuses
to recognize my tuner card, even though it's listed as one of those
supported.

--
Michael