Paint Shop Pro 7 and .png

Tink

Paint Shop Pro 7 and .png
I have Paint Shop Pro 7 and when looking at .png files they have a black or
white background. Before when looking at them in PSP 7 they were transparent.
How do I get them to load transparent?

For now I'm doing this...

Viewing Transparent PNGs
If you open a PNG file in PSP that has alpha transparency in it (like many
that I have on my site for previews and final results) it will appear to have
a black background.

What you have to do to keep the transparency while the file is open is to go
to Masks – Load From Alpha Channel and select the mask.
Once the mask is loaded what was before the background layer will be
promoted to Layer1, so that you get the checkers indicating the transparent
areas.

In case you would also like to view the mask over the image, which can be
quite handy if you wish to edit it, all you have to do is go to Masks – View
Mask and the mask will turn into semitransparent red.

Tools, Menus and Palettes

Tim

Re: Paint Shop Pro 7 and .png
Hello Tink,

It's been quite a while since I used that version so I don't have an answer
for you. But you might get better results in PSP's newsgroup. They have one
for older versions at corel.PaintShopPro_older_versions.

Tim

"Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news033122B-42F6-4418-8596-FE4AE6593A6A@microsoft.com...
>I have Paint Shop Pro 7 and when looking at .png files they have a black or
> white background. Before when looking at them in PSP 7 they were
> transparent.
> How do I get them to load transparent?
>
> For now I'm doing this...
>
> Viewing Transparent PNGs
> If you open a PNG file in PSP that has alpha transparency in it (like many
> that I have on my site for previews and final results) it will appear to
> have
> a black background.
>
> What you have to do to keep the transparency while the file is open is to
> go
> to Masks – Load From Alpha Channel and select the mask.
> Once the mask is loaded what was before the background layer will be
> promoted to Layer1, so that you get the checkers indicating the
> transparent
> areas.
>
> In case you would also like to view the mask over the image, which can be
> quite handy if you wish to edit it, all you have to do is go to Masks –
> View
> Mask and the mask will turn into semitransparent red.
>
> Tools, Menus and Palettes

Tink

Re: Paint Shop Pro 7 and .png
The site is not supporting it. Unless I have the wrong site. It says no
current listing.
Hello Tim and thanks for replying.

"Tim" wrote:

> Hello Tink,
>
> It's been quite a while since I used that version so I don't have an answer
> for you. But you might get better results in PSP's newsgroup. They have one
> for older versions at corel.PaintShopPro_older_versions.
>
> Tim
>
> "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news033122B-42F6-4418-8596-FE4AE6593A6A@microsoft.com...
> >I have Paint Shop Pro 7 and when looking at .png files they have a black or
> > white background. Before when looking at them in PSP 7 they were
> > transparent.
> > How do I get them to load transparent?
> >
> > For now I'm doing this...
> >
> > Viewing Transparent PNGs
> > If you open a PNG file in PSP that has alpha transparency in it (like many
> > that I have on my site for previews and final results) it will appear to
> > have
> > a black background.
> >
> > What you have to do to keep the transparency while the file is open is to
> > go
> > to Masks – Load From Alpha Channel and select the mask.
> > Once the mask is loaded what was before the background layer will be
> > promoted to Layer1, so that you get the checkers indicating the
> > transparent
> > areas.
> >
> > In case you would also like to view the mask over the image, which can be
> > quite handy if you wish to edit it, all you have to do is go to Masks –
> > View
> > Mask and the mask will turn into semitransparent red.
> >
> > Tools, Menus and Palettes

Tim

Re: Paint Shop Pro 7 and .png
You must be looking in the wrong place. I just went to the newsgroup
"corel.PaintShopPro_older_versions" again and saw several posts (with
answers) for PSP7.