Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows DVD Maker only recognizes 8 sec of a 15 min file

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2007
curtishandful
 

Posts: n/a
Windows DVD Maker only recognizes 8 sec of a 15 min file
I am trying to make a DVD of my daughter's Kindergarten play. I can add the
..vob file to the menu, but when it shows up it only recognizes the first 8
seconds of the file.

How do I get the program to recognize the entire file so I can burn this disk?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows DVD Maker only recognizes 8 sec of a 15 min file
On Wed, 23 May 2007 07:39:01 -0700, curtishandful
<curtishandful@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to make a DVD of my daughter's Kindergarten play. I can add the
>.vob file to the menu, but when it shows up it only recognizes the first 8
>seconds of the file.


You sure about it being a VOB file? A VOB file (Versioned Object Base)
is a finished, not raw file and is actually a container similar to AVI
files. Most video editors/DVD Makers will have trouble understanding
the various streams inside and often will only see the video and dump
the audio portion or play it out of sync if at all. To burn a VOB file
to a DVD▒R type disc, other standard DVD-Video files are needed, like
IFO and BUP files.
>
>How do I get the program to recognize the entire file so I can burn this disk?


What is your source of this VOB file? Normally a VOB is a end
product, ie the result of burning something to a DVD, not a source of
some video from say a video camera. So in effect you are trying to put
the horse behind the cart.

If a VOB file is all you have generally you will need to break it
apart into it's component parts if you want to do more that just play
it. Even playing VOB files especially on the Windows platform is at
best hit or miss with many applications having all kinds of troubles
playing them without stuttering if they play at all.

In summary the probable reason you're having trouble is some or all
the necessary support files are missing and need to be recreated
during the burn process, so you need a seperated video and audio
stream.

Another issue you are likely to run into is getting some applications
to properly read the contained audio track assuming they can work on a
VOB file at all, many won't.

One possible solution is here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/108963




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
curtishandful
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows DVD Maker only recognizes 8 sec of a 15 min file
Thank you for your help. I did what you suggested and it converted the video
just great. However, there was no sound.

How do I get it to convert the sound as well?

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2007 07:39:01 -0700, curtishandful
> <curtishandful@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to make a DVD of my daughter's Kindergarten play. I can add the
> >.vob file to the menu, but when it shows up it only recognizes the first 8
> >seconds of the file.

>
> You sure about it being a VOB file? A VOB file (Versioned Object Base)
> is a finished, not raw file and is actually a container similar to AVI
> files. Most video editors/DVD Makers will have trouble understanding
> the various streams inside and often will only see the video and dump
> the audio portion or play it out of sync if at all. To burn a VOB file
> to a DVD┬▒R type disc, other standard DVD-Video files are needed, like
> IFO and BUP files.
> >
> >How do I get the program to recognize the entire file so I can burn this disk?

>
> What is your source of this VOB file? Normally a VOB is a end
> product, ie the result of burning something to a DVD, not a source of
> some video from say a video camera. So in effect you are trying to put
> the horse behind the cart.
>
> If a VOB file is all you have generally you will need to break it
> apart into it's component parts if you want to do more that just play
> it. Even playing VOB files especially on the Windows platform is at
> best hit or miss with many applications having all kinds of troubles
> playing them without stuttering if they play at all.
>
> In summary the probable reason you're having trouble is some or all
> the necessary support files are missing and need to be recreated
> during the burn process, so you need a seperated video and audio
> stream.
>
> Another issue you are likely to run into is getting some applications
> to properly read the contained audio track assuming they can work on a
> VOB file at all, many won't.
>
> One possible solution is here:
>
> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/108963
>
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows DVD Maker only recognizes 8 sec of a 15 min file
On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:16:02 -0700, curtishandful
<curtishandful@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your help. I did what you suggested and it converted the video
>just great. However, there was no sound.
>
>How do I get it to convert the sound as well?


Something I've rarely done in extract anything from a VOB, but looking
around I found the following:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...Converter.html

Part of the problem is probably the audio track is in a format
whatever tool you're using is having trouble extracting. Typically VOB
files carry a AC3 audio track. The above free application should pull
it out then with luck you may be able to add the extracted sound track
to your project.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows DVD maker says there is no DVD burner installed =?Utf-8?B?TXJCYWl0?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 12-09-2007 11:04
Unregistering the ax file re DVD maker problems HELP PLEASE jamiebanjo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 05-25-2007 21:02
Movie Maker only recognizes camera? =?Utf-8?B?c25lZWRsZXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 2 04-23-2007 13:28
Move Maker file to DVD Maker isnt holding scenes =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 4 03-01-2007 16:23
Vista domain PC auth failures 529 and 680 on w2k3 file server every2 min Justin microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 02:40




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:26.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120