movie info for media center in vista premium

ecusta

movie info for media center in vista premium
How come I can not download movie info for the dvd library in media center
for the movies I have saved on my hard drive. They are all DVD file (VOB,IFO)
type files. Is their something or some how I can do this. also am I doing
something wrong or do I not have something not configured right
--
Thanks For the help
ecusta
Buellpilot

Re: movie info for media center in vista premium

visit here.... http://www.dvdxml.com/

What is a dvdid.xml file?

Great question. A dvdid.xml file is a file containing disc information
(CRC64 data) about a DVD. This file is used by Windows Media Center to
download information about DVDs stored on your hard drive. Such information
is usually DVD covers, movie descriptions, actors, year made, movie rating
and more.

"ecusta" <ecusta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How come I can not download movie info for the dvd library in media center
> for the movies I have saved on my hard drive. They are all DVD file
> (VOB,IFO)
> type files. Is their something or some how I can do this. also am I doing
> something wrong or do I not have something not configured right
> --
> Thanks For the help
> ecusta

ecusta

Re: movie info for media center in vista premium
What do I do with it and how , where do I use it
--
Thanks For the help
Ecusta

"Buellpilot" wrote:

> visit here.... http://www.dvdxml.com/
>
> What is a dvdid.xml file?
>
> Great question. A dvdid.xml file is a file containing disc information
> (CRC64 data) about a DVD. This file is used by Windows Media Center to
> download information about DVDs stored on your hard drive. Such information
> is usually DVD covers, movie descriptions, actors, year made, movie rating
> and more.
>

> "ecusta" <ecusta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How come I can not download movie info for the dvd library in media center
> > for the movies I have saved on my hard drive. They are all DVD file
> > (VOB,IFO)
> > type files. Is their something or some how I can do this. also am I doing
> > something wrong or do I not have something not configured right
> > --
> > Thanks For the help
> > ecusta

Buellpilot

Re: movie info for media center in vista premium
When you put a physical DVD in a drive, media center is able to extract
a DVD id from the disc and use it to identify and then download all
of the movie details and artwork.

When you have DVDs riped to your hard drive the ID of the disc cant
be extracted as there is no disc!

Thats where http://www.dvdxml.com comes in they have a database of these
unique DVD ID files known as dvdid.xml files.
To use the site you search for the DVD that you want to have info for and
download
its corresponding id file (they are tiny files a few K) you then place the
ID file
in the folder that contains your Video_TS folder and media center will do
the
rest, as it will have the unique identifier for the DVD and will download
coverart
and movie details, including chapter titles and synopsis etc etc.

> What do I do with it and how , where do I use it
> --
> Thanks For the help
> Ecusta
>
> "Buellpilot" wrote:
>

>> visit here.... http://www.dvdxml.com/
>>
>> What is a dvdid.xml file?
>>
>> Great question. A dvdid.xml file is a file containing disc information
>> (CRC64 data) about a DVD. This file is used by Windows Media Center to
>> download information about DVDs stored on your hard drive. Such
>> information
>> is usually DVD covers, movie descriptions, actors, year made, movie
>> rating
>> and more.
>>

>> "ecusta" <ecusta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How come I can not download movie info for the dvd library in media
>> > center
>> > for the movies I have saved on my hard drive. They are all DVD file
>> > (VOB,IFO)
>> > type files. Is their something or some how I can do this. also am I
>> > doing
>> > something wrong or do I not have something not configured right
>> > --
>> > Thanks For the help
>> > ecusta

Rich

Re: movie info for media center in vista premium
Disclaimer: Assuming you are copying one time, DVDs you purchased not rented
or borrowed from a friend...

You don't need to spend time on the dvdxml.com site. The site is slow, I
mean slow and doesn't do anything you can't do on your own faster...

Search for two programs "DVDFAB Decrypter" and "My DVD Settings"

My DVD Settings - put your personal DVD in the drive, run this program,
click the get dvd details button, it reads the dvd, grabs the ID off it,
place this txt file in the dvd directory for that specific dvd. This is what
you would get going to DVDXML.com. If you could put up with the painfully
slow site, I can't!

example:
d:\mydvds\mymovie\mymovie.dvdid
where mymovie.dvdid is the text file that is created from using "My Dvd
Settings".

Usage:
When MCE starts and you open the DVD library, MCE will use that text file to
go out to the internet and grab the DVD movie info. You do nothing more...

- DVDFAB - this will take your DVD and rip it to your hard drive.
Copy the files to your hard drive or networked drive MCE can see.

Disclaimer: If you are not familiar or comfortable editing your registry,
don't. Call a friend who can...

Open Regedit in admin mode. (Start Menu, accessories, command prompt -
right click and select "Open as Administrator".)

Search for the following key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Media
Center\Settings\DvdSettings\ShowGallery

change "value data" in Show Gallery from "Play" to "Gallery"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Media
Center\Settings\DvdSettings\ShowGallery\Gallery

close Regedit

- Now when you click the media center icon on your remote, to the right of
the "Recorded TV" option you will see "DVD Library". Browse into that, right
click your mouse or hit I on the remote and select Add Movies, point this to
the directory you store your ripped DvDs.

There are sites like "the green button" that have more detail on this process.