How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link

Richard B

How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
Can anyone out there advise - under XP, if you click a direct link to an mp3
file on a website, the audio streams and plays directly from the web page in
windows media player. In Vista, the mp3 file starts downloading. In fact,
initially I had to set WMP as the default program for MP3's, then clicking a
direct link starts the download.

Can anyone advise how to get an MP3 file to stream properly from a web link
under Vista?? It was all so easy in XP ...
Richard B

RE: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
The issue seems to be that if its an http:// link to the mp3, under XP the
file streams, or you can right-click the link to download. In Vista, the
same link behaves differently - the mp3 just downloads. If it's an mms://
link, it streams under Vista - but you can't download. So the question is
how do you specify a link to an mp3 file which allows the user to choose
whether to play or download? Am I missing something obvious? (don't say a
brain)

"Richard B" wrote:

> Can anyone out there advise - under XP, if you click a direct link to an mp3
> file on a website, the audio streams and plays directly from the web page in
> windows media player. In Vista, the mp3 file starts downloading. In fact,
> initially I had to set WMP as the default program for MP3's, then clicking a
> direct link starts the download.
>
> Can anyone advise how to get an MP3 file to stream properly from a web link
> under Vista?? It was all so easy in XP ...

retroman

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
On Mon, 21 May 2007 15:51:02 -0700, Richard B
<RichardB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The issue seems to be that if its an http:// link to the mp3, under XP the
>file streams, or you can right-click the link to download. In Vista, the
>same link behaves differently - the mp3 just downloads. If it's an mms://
>link, it streams under Vista - but you can't download. So the question is
>how do you specify a link to an mp3 file which allows the user to choose
>whether to play or download? Am I missing something obvious? (don't say a
>brain)
>
>"Richard B" wrote:
>
>> Can anyone out there advise - under XP, if you click a direct link to an mp3
>> file on a website, the audio streams and plays directly from the web page in
>> windows media player. In Vista, the mp3 file starts downloading. In fact,
>> initially I had to set WMP as the default program for MP3's, then clicking a
>> direct link starts the download.
>>
>> Can anyone advise how to get an MP3 file to stream properly from a web link
>> under Vista?? It was all so easy in XP ...

Richard,

I see no difference in mp3 behavior on Vista. It sounds like your
browser settings are different on the two machines.

To play a music file (as opposed to a stream), the file must be
downloaded, either into your browser cache or elsewhere. This
download happens when you right-click on the link and choose Open.

Many sites use javascript or an activeX control to start a player
directly on double-click, but that won't work if scripts and/or
activeX are disabled. So compare your browser settings. If you are
using IE, check the security options for each zone because each zone
can have a different setting.

FYI, you cannot "force an MP3 to stream" if the site is not set up to
stream, and you will never see an option to download a stream as a
file. That requires a 3rd-party stream recorder.

Doug M. in NJ
Richard B

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
Doug, appreciate the response, though bemused. All I know is that a site
which I have created provides simple direct html http:// hyperlinks to MP3
files. The page has no activeX controls or javascript, the page is plain
vanilla html, and is in no way specifically set up to stream. From every
machine with XP installed I have tried, on left click, WMP plays the MP3
immediately from the site. From a right click, there's the option to 'save
target as' which allows the user to save to disk. If I amend the link,
replacing http: with mms:, the plays immediately from Vista, streaming from
the site as it does on a direct http: link under XP.

From my new notebook with vista installed, clicking the self same link
immediately initiates a file download. Security settings are set to
medium-high on both machines.

"retroman" wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2007 15:51:02 -0700, Richard B
> <RichardB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The issue seems to be that if its an http:// link to the mp3, under XP the
> >file streams, or you can right-click the link to download. In Vista, the
> >same link behaves differently - the mp3 just downloads. If it's an mms://
> >link, it streams under Vista - but you can't download. So the question is
> >how do you specify a link to an mp3 file which allows the user to choose
> >whether to play or download? Am I missing something obvious? (don't say a
> >brain)
> >
> >"Richard B" wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone out there advise - under XP, if you click a direct link to an mp3
> >> file on a website, the audio streams and plays directly from the web page in
> >> windows media player. In Vista, the mp3 file starts downloading. In fact,
> >> initially I had to set WMP as the default program for MP3's, then clicking a
> >> direct link starts the download.
> >>
> >> Can anyone advise how to get an MP3 file to stream properly from a web link
> >> under Vista?? It was all so easy in XP ...

> Richard,
>
> I see no difference in mp3 behavior on Vista. It sounds like your
> browser settings are different on the two machines.
>
> To play a music file (as opposed to a stream), the file must be
> downloaded, either into your browser cache or elsewhere. This
> download happens when you right-click on the link and choose Open.
>
> Many sites use javascript or an activeX control to start a player
> directly on double-click, but that won't work if scripts and/or
> activeX are disabled. So compare your browser settings. If you are
> using IE, check the security options for each zone because each zone
> can have a different setting.
>
> FYI, you cannot "force an MP3 to stream" if the site is not set up to
> stream, and you will never see an option to download a stream as a
> file. That requires a 3rd-party stream recorder.
>
> Doug M. in NJ

retroman

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:53:00 -0700, Richard B
<RichardB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Doug, appreciate the response, though bemused. All I know is that a site
>which I have created provides simple direct html http:// hyperlinks to MP3
>files. The page has no activeX controls or javascript, the page is plain
>vanilla html, and is in no way specifically set up to stream. From every
>machine with XP installed I have tried, on left click, WMP plays the MP3
>immediately from the site. From a right click, there's the option to 'save
>target as' which allows the user to save to disk. If I amend the link,
>replacing http: with mms:, the plays immediately from Vista, streaming from
>the site as it does on a direct http: link under XP.
>
>From my new notebook with vista installed, clicking the self same link
>immediately initiates a file download. Security settings are set to
>medium-high on both machines.

Richard,

Unfortunately, I don't have an XP machine handy for comparison. My
point was that browser settings should be checked. In the case of IE,
security zones can be customized, so even though the zones may be the
same, the actual settings may differ. You might also look at your WMP
Options dialog settings.

Whether or not a player opens immediately, a simple http:// file link
does not stream content directly to it. Some of the file content must
be downloaded and cached locally before playing begins, and the rest
is downloaded afterwards. The initial download happens so quickly on
PC's with a broadband connection that it may resemble true streaming
audio (buffered in memory), but it isn't.

Something else to consider is that how links behave for visitors to
your site depends in part on their settings, over which you have no
control.

Even so, it would be useful to find out why the behavior you see
varies between PC's. At this point, I don't have a specific
explanation. Perhaps someone else here will chime in.

Doug M. in NJ
Richard B

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
Sure and thanks for your kind interest and thoughts. I've been playing
around with security settings - which vista moans about profusely - and WMP
settings. Main thing I would like to achieve is a single direct link which
gives the option of playing direct or downloading. any other comments
welcome ...

"retroman" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:53:00 -0700, Richard B
> <RichardB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Doug, appreciate the response, though bemused. All I know is that a site
> >which I have created provides simple direct html http:// hyperlinks to MP3
> >files. The page has no activeX controls or javascript, the page is plain
> >vanilla html, and is in no way specifically set up to stream. From every
> >machine with XP installed I have tried, on left click, WMP plays the MP3
> >immediately from the site. From a right click, there's the option to 'save
> >target as' which allows the user to save to disk. If I amend the link,
> >replacing http: with mms:, the plays immediately from Vista, streaming from
> >the site as it does on a direct http: link under XP.
> >
> >From my new notebook with vista installed, clicking the self same link
> >immediately initiates a file download. Security settings are set to
> >medium-high on both machines.
> >

> Richard,
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have an XP machine handy for comparison. My
> point was that browser settings should be checked. In the case of IE,
> security zones can be customized, so even though the zones may be the
> same, the actual settings may differ. You might also look at your WMP
> Options dialog settings.
>
> Whether or not a player opens immediately, a simple http:// file link
> does not stream content directly to it. Some of the file content must
> be downloaded and cached locally before playing begins, and the rest
> is downloaded afterwards. The initial download happens so quickly on
> PC's with a broadband connection that it may resemble true streaming
> audio (buffered in memory), but it isn't.
>
> Something else to consider is that how links behave for visitors to
> your site depends in part on their settings, over which you have no
> control.
>
> Even so, it would be useful to find out why the behavior you see
> varies between PC's. At this point, I don't have a specific
> explanation. Perhaps someone else here will chime in.
>
> Doug M. in NJ

zachd [MSFT]

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link

Please stop posting this in all sorts of threads - it makes it really hard
to track the facts of your issue. =)

What changed between when it worked and when it didn't? The presumption
would be that either you reregistered wmp.dll or that you installed a third
party application which partially took over the association.

If you go to the Default Programs tool and use the Set Program Access and
Defaults tool to set WMP as the default player, that would reregister WMP's
associations here in full. Presuming that you did not reregister WMP, that
would fix this up.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Richard B" <RichardB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone out there advise - under XP, if you click a direct link to an
> mp3
> file on a website, the audio streams and plays directly from the web page
> in
> windows media player. In Vista, the mp3 file starts downloading. In
> fact,
> initially I had to set WMP as the default program for MP3's, then clicking
> direct link starts the download.
>
> Can anyone advise how to get an MP3 file to stream properly from a web
> link
> under Vista?? It was all so easy in XP ...

Richard B

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
I installed Nero, then MP3's download instead of playing buffered. Nero did
take over default for MP3, but the first thing I tried was setting WMP back
as the default. MP3's still download instead of playing.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Please stop posting this in all sorts of threads - it makes it really hard
> to track the facts of your issue. =)
>
> What changed between when it worked and when it didn't? The presumption
> would be that either you reregistered wmp.dll or that you installed a third
> party application which partially took over the association.
>
> If you go to the Default Programs tool and use the Set Program Access and
> Defaults tool to set WMP as the default player, that would reregister WMP's
> associations here in full. Presuming that you did not reregister WMP, that
> would fix this up.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "Richard B" <RichardB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone out there advise - under XP, if you click a direct link to an
> > mp3
> > file on a website, the audio streams and plays directly from the web page
> > in
> > windows media player. In Vista, the mp3 file starts downloading. In
> > fact,
> > initially I had to set WMP as the default program for MP3's, then clicking
> > direct link starts the download.
> >
> > Can anyone advise how to get an MP3 file to stream properly from a web
> > link
> > under Vista?? It was all so easy in XP ...

retroman

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:41:04 -0700, Richard B
<RichardB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> > Can anyone advise how to get an MP3 file to stream properly from a web
>> > link under Vista?? It was all so easy in XP ...

Richard,

One last thought on this. Go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound >
AutoPlay. Check the setting for "audio files", and, if necessary,
select "Windows Media Player". On my system, this allows WMP to load
and play Mp3 links on a single click, without further user
intervention. This works for me even though I do have Nero 7
Essentials installed.

Regards,

Doug M. in NJ
Richard B

Re: How to stream mp3 audio files from direct web link
Hi Doug,

Thanks, I did try this before, but it is already set to WMP. I'm convinced
there's nothing in Control Panel which will fix the problem. I don't
understand it but looks like I'm stuck with having to download the entire MP3
every time. I've also created the same problem on someone else's machine.
oops.