Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Thumbnail views are wrong

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2007
DBYurtoy
 

Posts: n/a
Thumbnail views are wrong
After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the file using
other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no option to
refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.

How do I solve this?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2007
Buellpilot
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnail views are wrong


Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer

You will find a thumbnail cache there.

Set explore to show hidden files and protected OS files


"DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:30CBB7C0-E616-4285-9B2D-9D5F14566CAE@microsoft.com...
> After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the file using
> other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no option to
> refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.
>
> How do I solve this?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2007
DBYurtoy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnail views are wrong
I found the cache, but it is apparently not the latest data since the file
date on all of the is one week to one month old. Is there another place these
thumbnails are stored?

"Buellpilot" wrote:

>
>
> Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer
>
> You will find a thumbnail cache there.
>
> Set explore to show hidden files and protected OS files
>
>
> "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:30CBB7C0-E616-4285-9B2D-9D5F14566CAE@microsoft.com...
> > After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the file using
> > other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no option to
> > refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.
> >
> > How do I solve this?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2007
dean-dean
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnail views are wrong
In Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools, you can use Disk Cleanup to
remove the Thumbnails cache. It will start over from there.



"DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FDA96E53-6654-4D63-BEC9-648B9548BF49@microsoft.com...
>I found the cache, but it is apparently not the latest data since the file
> date on all of the is one week to one month old. Is there another place
> these
> thumbnails are stored?
>
> "Buellpilot" wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer
>>
>> You will find a thumbnail cache there.
>>
>> Set explore to show hidden files and protected OS files
>>
>>
>> "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:30CBB7C0-E616-4285-9B2D-9D5F14566CAE@microsoft.com...
>> > After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the file
>> > using
>> > other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no option
>> > to
>> > refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.
>> >
>> > How do I solve this?

>>
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2007
DBYurtoy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnail views are wrong
That seems like an awful lot of work to accomplish what the old thumbnail
refresh did in XP. I thought Vista was supposed to be more advanced

Thanks

"dean-dean" wrote:

> In Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools, you can use Disk Cleanup to
> remove the Thumbnails cache. It will start over from there.
>
>
>
> "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FDA96E53-6654-4D63-BEC9-648B9548BF49@microsoft.com...
> >I found the cache, but it is apparently not the latest data since the file
> > date on all of the is one week to one month old. Is there another place
> > these
> > thumbnails are stored?
> >
> > "Buellpilot" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>
> >> Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer
> >>
> >> You will find a thumbnail cache there.
> >>
> >> Set explore to show hidden files and protected OS files
> >>
> >>
> >> "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:30CBB7C0-E616-4285-9B2D-9D5F14566CAE@microsoft.com...
> >> > After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the file
> >> > using
> >> > other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no option
> >> > to
> >> > refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.
> >> >
> >> > How do I solve this?
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2007
DBYurtoy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnail views are wrong
FYI, the files dated last month were the current thumbnails (cache). Why
Vista does not reflect the latest change to certain files is beyond my
reasoning.

"DBYurtoy" wrote:

> That seems like an awful lot of work to accomplish what the old thumbnail
> refresh did in XP. I thought Vista was supposed to be more advanced
>
> Thanks
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
> > In Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools, you can use Disk Cleanup to
> > remove the Thumbnails cache. It will start over from there.
> >
> >
> >
> > "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:FDA96E53-6654-4D63-BEC9-648B9548BF49@microsoft.com...
> > >I found the cache, but it is apparently not the latest data since the file
> > > date on all of the is one week to one month old. Is there another place
> > > these
> > > thumbnails are stored?
> > >
> > > "Buellpilot" wrote:
> > >
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer
> > >>
> > >> You will find a thumbnail cache there.
> > >>
> > >> Set explore to show hidden files and protected OS files
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> news:30CBB7C0-E616-4285-9B2D-9D5F14566CAE@microsoft.com...
> > >> > After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the file
> > >> > using
> > >> > other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no option
> > >> > to
> > >> > refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.
> > >> >
> > >> > How do I solve this?
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>

> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2007
dean-dean
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnail views are wrong
Frankly, I don't know how the whole thumbnail thing works in Vista. I don't
do much image manipulation, errr, any, so I haven't noticed whether a
thumbnail updates or not. I did try this. I downloaded a folder with lots
of images, and, while keeping an eye on
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer, I opened the
folder of images. They went from showing generic icons to showing the
images. But the thumbcache*.db files didn't change, neither by size nor
date modified. It's magic. Does refreshing the folder that holds your
image
do anything? There's another file
(C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\IconCache.db) that might be relevant,
too. It seems to update more frequently.

"DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7BF2CE61-66C7-4F00-99CA-AC4402991E5F@microsoft.com...
> FYI, the files dated last month were the current thumbnails (cache). Why
> Vista does not reflect the latest change to certain files is beyond my
> reasoning.
>
> "DBYurtoy" wrote:
>
>> That seems like an awful lot of work to accomplish what the old thumbnail
>> refresh did in XP. I thought Vista was supposed to be more advanced
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "dean-dean" wrote:
>>
>> > In Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools, you can use Disk
>> > Cleanup to
>> > remove the Thumbnails cache. It will start over from there.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:FDA96E53-6654-4D63-BEC9-648B9548BF49@microsoft.com...
>> > >I found the cache, but it is apparently not the latest data since the
>> > >file
>> > > date on all of the is one week to one month old. Is there another
>> > > place
>> > > these
>> > > thumbnails are stored?
>> > >
>> > > "Buellpilot" wrote:
>> > >
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> > >> Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer
>> > >>
>> > >> You will find a thumbnail cache there.
>> > >>
>> > >> Set explore to show hidden files and protected OS files
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> > >> "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > >> news:30CBB7C0-E616-4285-9B2D-9D5F14566CAE@microsoft.com...
>> > >> > After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the
>> > >> > file
>> > >> > using
>> > >> > other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no
>> > >> > option
>> > >> > to
>> > >> > refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.
>> > >> >
>> > >> > How do I solve this?
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> >
>> >


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2007
CobaltBlue67
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnail views are wrong
I love you buellpilot :-)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was getting so frustrated not
being able to view thumbnails of my image instead of the stupid ocean scene
and this simple post of yours made me look at "tools/folder options/view"
where I saw that the box was checked next to "Always show icons, never
thumbnails". I unchecked it and, voila, I see my darn images in the folder
now!!!

Now I just want to know why this box was checked as the default on this new
laptop of mine - UGH!!!!!! What brainiac decided that should be the setting?!

:-)

~Barb

"Buellpilot" wrote:

>
>
> Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Explorer
>
> You will find a thumbnail cache there.
>
> Set explore to show hidden files and protected OS files
>
>
> "DBYurtoy" <DBYurtoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:30CBB7C0-E616-4285-9B2D-9D5F14566CAE@microsoft.com...
> > After viewing a folder and Vista makes thumbnails, changing the file using
> > other programs does not update the thumbnail image. There is no option to
> > refresh the image. There is no thumbs.db file to delete.
> >
> > How do I solve this?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thumbnail View =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNGb28=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-13-2007 18:52
Public folder has wrong name in some views Synapse Syndrome microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 04-09-2007 15:38
Vista- Thumbnail Window Views Ambulance Attendant microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-18-2007 06:18
Public folder has wrong name in some views Synapse Syndrome microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 3 03-08-2007 01:46
Public folder has wrong name in some views Synapse Syndrome microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 03-08-2007 01:46




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:43.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120