Burned music CD has no sound.

Eric the Grey

Burned music CD has no sound.
Today I tried to burn my first music CD using Vista and Media Player. I
used the MP3's that I've ripped from my personal CD collection to my computer
using my old XP machine. All of which play fine on media player.

When I popped the newly created CD into my trucks player, it only read one
track, and had no sound. Once I got to work, I tried it on my laptop, an XP
machine, which also has MP 11. Here it not only plays, but it also somehow
knows the titles of the songs on the CD, even though there is no internet
connection available to it.

My question is, does WMP 11 do something to prevent regular players from
being able to play burned CDs, or is there something else. My thought is
that the format of the newly burned CD is not standard, which is why XP knows
the titles of the songs.

This is my first attempt, as I said, and I've not yet purchased new burning
software for the Vista box, but will do so if I have to. Unfortunately, my
older software was tied to my XP box and won't transfer, or just won't work
(Older versions of Nero).

Eric the Grey
John Shaw [MSFT]

Re: Burned music CD has no sound.
Did you create a data CD or an audio CD?

More info at:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3a7131033.mspx

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...81033.mspx#ETB

If you created a data CD, it would make sense that your laptop could
identify the titles of the songs because that info is stored in the MP3
file.

Also, if you did create a data CD, does your truck player support playing
data CDs? Many older CD players do not. If your truck does support data CDs,
you might try using a different brand of blank CD-R media (some players can
be finicky).

--
John Shaw
Windows User Assistance team

"Eric the Grey" <ErictheGrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Today I tried to burn my first music CD using Vista and Media Player. I
> used the MP3's that I've ripped from my personal CD collection to my
> computer
> using my old XP machine. All of which play fine on media player.
>
> When I popped the newly created CD into my trucks player, it only read one
> track, and had no sound. Once I got to work, I tried it on my laptop, an
> XP
> machine, which also has MP 11. Here it not only plays, but it also
> somehow
> knows the titles of the songs on the CD, even though there is no internet
> connection available to it.
>
> My question is, does WMP 11 do something to prevent regular players from
> being able to play burned CDs, or is there something else. My thought is
> that the format of the newly burned CD is not standard, which is why XP
> knows
> the titles of the songs.
>
> This is my first attempt, as I said, and I've not yet purchased new
> burning
> software for the Vista box, but will do so if I have to. Unfortunately,
> my
> older software was tied to my XP box and won't transfer, or just won't
> work
> (Older versions of Nero).
>

> Eric the Grey

Eric the Grey

Re: Burned music CD has no sound.
Well, you hit the nail on the head. I didn't even check that because when I
put the blank CD in the drive, I told Vista to create a music CD.

And no, I know that my truck's cd player will not play MP3's, much the pity.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try again tomorrow...

Eric the Grey