Windows DVD Maker Question

brink

Windows DVD Maker Question

Hi,

Before I waste a DVD. When you use DVD Maker to make a slide show of
Photos on a DVD, will you be able to add more photos to the DVD after
you burn the project later on or is it once you burn that's it?

Thank you,
Shawn

--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
Vista 64 Home Premium
1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM
Matt Lichtenberg [MSFT]

Re: Windows DVD Maker Question
Hi. If you are burning to a recordable DVD, such as DVD-R or DVD+R disc, you
can only record to the DVD one time.

If you are using a rewriteable DVD, such as a DVD+RW or DVD-RW, you can
record to the DVD multiple times. However, when you burn to a rewriteable
DVD, all the files on the disc are deleted before burning begins. Therefore,
if you used a DVD+RW or -RW, all the photos that you burned to the DVD the
first time would be deleted. To get all the photos that you wanted on the
DVD, you would need to re-add the photos that you originally added to the
DVD the first time, and then add the additional photos that you wanted to
include on the DVD.

If it helps, this is discussed in the following question = "What is the
difference between DVD+RW/-RW and DVD-R/+R recordable DVDs?" in this Windows
Vista Help topic:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...362251033.mspx

I hope this helps...

Sincerely,
Matt Lichtenberg
Windows User Assistance team
Microsoft Corporation

"brink" <brink.2qrnt5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Before I waste a DVD. When you use DVD Maker to make a slide show of
> Photos on a DVD, will you be able to add more photos to the DVD after
> you burn the project later on or is it once you burn that's it?
>
> Thank you,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink
>
> "Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
> Vista 64 Home Premium
> 1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM

Graham Hughes

Re: Windows DVD Maker Question
I didn't quite follow Matt's explanation, so hope this makes it clearer

If you make a dvd video disc - this is one which will play in a dvd player -
then you can only add one project to the disc, regardless of whether it is a
dvd an R or an RW. This is the way dvd video specs are.
If you want to add more photos to the dvd then you'd need to totally redo
the project, as Matt says and reburn it to the RW or to a new R

If you write the photos to the dvd as data, so it won't play in a dvd
player, then you can add more info to the RW disc at a later date without
losing any of the original photos.

Reading that back sounds just as confusing Maybe a combination of the two
replies will sort you out!!!!

Graham

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Matt Lichtenberg [MSFT]" <mattlich@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. If you are burning to a recordable DVD, such as DVD-R or DVD+R disc,
> you can only record to the DVD one time.
>
> If you are using a rewriteable DVD, such as a DVD+RW or DVD-RW, you can
> record to the DVD multiple times. However, when you burn to a rewriteable
> DVD, all the files on the disc are deleted before burning begins.
> Therefore, if you used a DVD+RW or -RW, all the photos that you burned to
> the DVD the first time would be deleted. To get all the photos that you
> wanted on the DVD, you would need to re-add the photos that you originally
> added to the DVD the first time, and then add the additional photos that
> you wanted to include on the DVD.
>
> If it helps, this is discussed in the following question = "What is the
> difference between DVD+RW/-RW and DVD-R/+R recordable DVDs?" in this
> Windows Vista Help topic:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...362251033.mspx
>
> I hope this helps...
>
> Sincerely,
> Matt Lichtenberg
> Windows User Assistance team
> Microsoft Corporation
>

> "brink" <brink.2qrnt5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Before I waste a DVD. When you use DVD Maker to make a slide show of
>> Photos on a DVD, will you be able to add more photos to the DVD after
>> you burn the project later on or is it once you burn that's it?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> "Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
>> Vista 64 Home Premium
>> 1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM

Adam Albright

Re: Windows DVD Maker Question
On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:44:00 -0500, brink
<brink.2qrnt5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Before I waste a DVD. When you use DVD Maker to make a slide show of
>Photos on a DVD, will you be able to add more photos to the DVD after
>you burn the project later on or is it once you burn that's it?
>
>Thank you,
>Shawn

Regardless what application you use once you make a slideshow you're
really making a movie. Typically a MPEG file. No, you can not add to
it, meaning add more content once it is burned to a DVD or CD and
simply expand the size of the created file to what's already burned to
the disc.

Of course you can reopen the project and add to it that way and then
repeat the burn process. But no, you can't start out with a 30 image
slide show then decide a week later you want to add another 40 images
to the same slideshow without making a new project.

brink

Re: Windows DVD Maker Question

I was afraid of that. I'll just wait until I have enough to fill the 4
Gig DVD.

Thank You,
Shawn