I deleted "My Pictures" "My Music"

Chris

I deleted "My Pictures" "My Music"
Hi I did a reinstall and was moving all the "My Documents" related stuff. I
accidently deleted "My Picutres" and "My Music" permantly. These folders
were empty. I'm not wondering how to get back my data.

I am wondering how to get the special folders "My Pictures" and "My Music"
back? I can make folders with these names in the correct place but I don't
know how to assoicate, or tell windows that these are my special "My" folders?

Thank you,
Chris
Dave

Re: I deleted "My Pictures" "My Music"
In Vista, the "My " folders are not folders. They are junctions that point
to other directories, for older software that still looks for them. Don't
mess with them.

The new Vista folders dropped the "My" part from the name.
Now they are Pictures, Documents, etc.

> Hi I did a reinstall and was moving all the "My Documents" related stuff.
> accidently deleted "My Picutres" and "My Music" permantly. These folders
> were empty. I'm not wondering how to get back my data.
>
> I am wondering how to get the special folders "My Pictures" and "My Music"
> back? I can make folders with these names in the correct place but I don't
> know how to assoicate, or tell windows that these are my special "My"
> folders?
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

dean-dean

Re: I deleted "My Pictures" "My Music"
Vista will restore your special folders automatically, if they are not
there, but you might have to give it a nudge. In the Start Search box on
the Start Menu, type:

shell:my pictures

and click on the result. Then type:

shell:my music

and click on the result. Note that the default locations for the special
folders are under the main special folder C:\Users\(Your User Name). The
old "My Documents" folder is now called "(Your User Name)". The old "My
Music" folder is "Music", "My Pictures is "Pictures", etc. The new folder
for general personal files that you read is "Documents".

> Hi I did a reinstall and was moving all the "My Documents" related stuff.
> accidently deleted "My Picutres" and "My Music" permantly. These folders
> were empty. I'm not wondering how to get back my data.
>
> I am wondering how to get the special folders "My Pictures" and "My Music"
> back? I can make folders with these names in the correct place but I don't
> know how to assoicate, or tell windows that these are my special "My"
> folders?
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

dean-dean

Re: I deleted "My Pictures" "My Music"
I should add that if you like the "My" prefix to your special folder's
names, you can rename them. But you have to let Vista create them first.
As you found out, creating a new folder under C:\Users\(Your User Name), and
calling it "My Pictures", for example, won't work. It won't have the
special icon, and Vista won't recognize the folder using the folder's Start
Menu button, etc.