mms:// protocol not working

Jukka Lehtinen

mms:// protocol not working
Hello,

recently I have noticed that media streams from the internet have not been
working on my Vista Home Premium edition. They work fine if I copy/paste the
link into Windows Media Player 11 (or any other program), but if I click on
the link using Firefox (or IE7), I get an error message that the browser
does not know how to open the file as the protocol is not linked to any
program (don't know what the exact message in English is as I have
translated that myself).

I do not find the mms:// protocol if I open Start-->"Standard Programs" -->
"File type / Protocol" (or something similar - in any case it has a list of
all file extensions and protocols and the respective programs that open
them.

I know the mms: protocol itself does not exist in Vista anymore, however I
believe most streaming videos on the web use mms: as the link (protocol
rollover or something). The problem exists only since a few weeks or so.
Maybe a Vista update that caused the problem?

I don't know if I had installed or uninstalled a specific program that
caused this problem - I would really appreciate it if one of you has had the
same problem (and found a solution) ;-)

Cheers
Jukka

zachd [MSFT]

Re: mms:// protocol not working

As noted in the other newsgroup, direct links to MMS URLs have never been
supported (since that would have a big problem in non-IE browsers). So:
they should be linking to an ASX that would point you to the appropriate MMS
URL.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Jukka Lehtinen" <jukkalehtinen@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> recently I have noticed that media streams from the internet have not been
> working on my Vista Home Premium edition. They work fine if I copy/paste
> the
> link into Windows Media Player 11 (or any other program), but if I click
> on
> the link using Firefox (or IE7), I get an error message that the browser
> does not know how to open the file as the protocol is not linked to any
> program (don't know what the exact message in English is as I have
> translated that myself).
>
> I do not find the mms:// protocol if I open Start-->"Standard
> Programs" -->
> "File type / Protocol" (or something similar - in any case it has a list
> of
> all file extensions and protocols and the respective programs that open
> them.
>
> I know the mms: protocol itself does not exist in Vista anymore, however I
> believe most streaming videos on the web use mms: as the link (protocol
> rollover or something). The problem exists only since a few weeks or so.
> Maybe a Vista update that caused the problem?
>
> I don't know if I had installed or uninstalled a specific program that
> caused this problem - I would really appreciate it if one of you has had
> the
> same problem (and found a solution) ;-)
>
> Cheers
> Jukka

Jukka

Re: mms:// protocol not working
zachd,

thanks for your reply... nevertheless this "linking to an asx" (or wmv, or
anything that starts with mms://) is not working on my Vista. Only since a
few weeks or so, before (with the same Vista computer) it was working! So I
assume that this problem is caused by a software that I have installed or
uninstalled. As I do not view that many video streams, it is difficult for
me to determine when exactly the problem started (so I could try to recall
which program could have caused this).

For example, take the following URL:
mms://atkon-atkbtvolive-wmv-high.wm.llnwd.net/atkon_atkbtvolive_wmv_high
if copy/paste that into IE7, I get the error message that the page cannot be
displayed. If I click on the link (on that error page) to search online for
a program that can open this web content, I get the message:
Protocol Type: mms
Windows does not recognize this Protocol
Is this really "normal"? Copying the same URL directly into Windows Media
Player 11 works fine!

I really appreciate your help. I would like to overcome this issue without
reinstalling Vista...

Jukka

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> As noted in the other newsgroup, direct links to MMS URLs have never been
> supported (since that would have a big problem in non-IE browsers). So:
> they should be linking to an ASX that would point you to the appropriate
> MMS URL.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Jukka Lehtinen" <jukkalehtinen@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> recently I have noticed that media streams from the internet have not
>> been
>> working on my Vista Home Premium edition. They work fine if I copy/paste
>> the
>> link into Windows Media Player 11 (or any other program), but if I click
>> on
>> the link using Firefox (or IE7), I get an error message that the browser
>> does not know how to open the file as the protocol is not linked to any
>> program (don't know what the exact message in English is as I have
>> translated that myself).
>>
>> I do not find the mms:// protocol if I open Start-->"Standard
>> Programs" -->
>> "File type / Protocol" (or something similar - in any case it has a list
>> of
>> all file extensions and protocols and the respective programs that open
>> them.
>>
>> I know the mms: protocol itself does not exist in Vista anymore, however
>> I believe most streaming videos on the web use mms: as the link (protocol
>> rollover or something). The problem exists only since a few weeks or so.
>> Maybe a Vista update that caused the problem?
>>
>> I don't know if I had installed or uninstalled a specific program that
>> caused this problem - I would really appreciate it if one of you has had
>> the
>> same problem (and found a solution) ;-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jukka

Jukka

Re: mms:// protocol not working
I also have to add that I am using the German language version of Vista Home
Premium. I mention this since specifically there are apparently others with
exactly the same problem with the same German Vista in other forums -
unfortunately with no solution yet, however! If I find out a solution, I
will let you know, if you like.

"Jukka" <jukkalehtinen@onlinehome.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]
>>> program (don't know what the exact message in English is as I have
>>> translated that myself).
>>>
>>> I do not find the mms:// protocol if I open Start-->"Standard
>>> Programs" -->
>>> "File type / Protocol" (or something similar - in any case it has a list
>>> of
>>> all file extensions and protocols and the respective programs that open
>>> them.
>>>
>>> I know the mms: protocol itself does not exist in Vista anymore, however
>>> I believe most streaming videos on the web use mms: as the link
>>> (protocol rollover or something). The problem exists only since a few
>>> weeks or so. Maybe a Vista update that caused the problem?
>>>
>>> I don't know if I had installed or uninstalled a specific program that
>>> caused this problem - I would really appreciate it if one of you has had

>>> Jukka

zachd [MSFT]

Re: mms:// protocol not working

What you are saying you are doing is exactly what I am saying you are not
supposed to do. It *worked* in the past accidentally but has never been
supported. If you or anyone else are attempting to use MMS:// URLs within
IE (or any other browser) directly, that's a bad thing and you would need to
stop/change that behavior.

I was part of this decision over eight years ago: this is not new. What you
are attempting to do is not something anyone should be doing.

So: what real-world scenario are you running across where this is an issue?
Any affected content provider should have been wrapping their MMS URLs in
ASX files a long time ago. =\

Sorry - as mentioned, this is an ancient decision, and it's just not
supported in the way you're trying to use it.

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.
"Jukka" <jukkalehtinen@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> program (don't know what the exact message in English is as I have
>>> translated that myself).
>>>
>>> I do not find the mms:// protocol if I open Start-->"Standard
>>> Programs" -->
>>> "File type / Protocol" (or something similar - in any case it has a list
>>> of
>>> all file extensions and protocols and the respective programs that open
>>> them.
>>>
>>> I know the mms: protocol itself does not exist in Vista anymore, however
>>> I believe most streaming videos on the web use mms: as the link
>>> (protocol rollover or something). The problem exists only since a few
>>> weeks or so. Maybe a Vista update that caused the problem?
>>>
>>> I don't know if I had installed or uninstalled a specific program that
>>> caused this problem - I would really appreciate it if one of you has had

>>> Jukka

Jukka

Re: mms:// protocol not working
Thank you for the answer.

The mms: url I sent you before was just the next best link I found on
google, by the way. The main site where it would be very convenient to be
able to launch the video with just one click is www.fcb.tv, but one needs to
pay for the service in order to get access, and therefore not a very good
"example mms:// url" to post here.

I now understand that the WEBSITE needs to change their URLs to be fully
compatible with Vista. I do think that it is very strange, considering that
this site only started streaming videos about 4-5 years ago... why would
they choose a protocol at that time, that is not supported?

Well anyway, I'm more relieved to know that there is nothing wrong with my
computer. Thanks a lot for clarifying this.

Regards

> What you are saying you are doing is exactly what I am saying you are not
> supposed to do. It *worked* in the past accidentally but has never been
> supported. If you or anyone else are attempting to use MMS:// URLs within
> IE (or any other browser) directly, that's a bad thing and you would need
> to stop/change that behavior.
>
> I was part of this decision over eight years ago: this is not new. What
> you are attempting to do is not something anyone should be doing.
>
> So: what real-world scenario are you running across where this is an
> issue? Any affected content provider should have been wrapping their MMS
> URLs in ASX files a long time ago. =\
>
> Sorry - as mentioned, this is an ancient decision, and it's just not
> supported in the way you're trying to use it.
>
> -Zach
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Jukka" <jukkalehtinen@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
>> zachd,
>>
>> thanks for your reply... nevertheless this "linking to an asx" (or wmv,
>> or anything that starts with mms://) is not working on my Vista. Only
>> since a few weeks or so, before (with the same Vista computer) it was
>> working! So I assume that this problem is caused by a software that I
>> have installed or uninstalled. As I do not view that many video streams,
>> it is difficult for me to determine when exactly the problem started (so
>> I could try to recall which program could have caused this).
>>
>> For example, take the following URL:
>> mms://atkon-atkbtvolive-wmv-high.wm.llnwd.net/atkon_atkbtvolive_wmv_high
>> if copy/paste that into IE7, I get the error message that the page cannot
>> be displayed. If I click on the link (on that error page) to search
>> online for a program that can open this web content, I get the message:
>> Protocol Type: mms
>> Windows does not recognize this Protocol
>> Is this really "normal"? Copying the same URL directly into Windows Media
>> Player 11 works fine!
>>
>> I really appreciate your help. I would like to overcome this issue
>> without reinstalling Vista...
>>
>> Jukka
>>

>> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> schrieb im
>> Newsbeitrag news:euzhCTplHHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> As noted in the other newsgroup, direct links to MMS URLs have never
>>> been supported (since that would have a big problem in non-IE browsers).
>>> So: they should be linking to an ASX that would point you to the
>>> appropriate MMS URL.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Speaking for myself only.
>>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>>> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: mms:// protocol not working

Gotcha - yeah, if they're using "mms://", that's always been broken and
unsupported. You/they could provide one click access to the content through
an ASX link pointing to the MMS URL if desired, but it's all done on the
server side. =\

"mms://" worked in the past in Explorer as a testing tool only - no
documentation from Microsoft should have ever suggested its usage in a
browser since that would have failed in Netscape/Opera/Firefox/etc and made
those users sad. So if they are using it, they were probably merely lightly
confused. It's an understandable mistake, but one that if cleaned up would
provide their users with better service. =)

--
> [...]
>>> working! So I assume that this problem is caused by a software that I
>>> have installed or uninstalled. As I do not view that many video streams,
>>> it is difficult for me to determine when exactly the problem started (so
>>> I could try to recall which program could have caused this).
>>>
>>> For example, take the following URL:
>>> mms://atkon-atkbtvolive-wmv-high.wm.llnwd.net/atkon_atkbtvolive_wmv_high
>>> if copy/paste that into IE7, I get the error message that the page
>>> cannot be displayed. If I click on the link (on that error page) to
>>> search online for a program that can open this web content, I get the
>>> message:
>>> Protocol Type: mms
>>> Windows does not recognize this Protocol
>>> Is this really "normal"? Copying the same URL directly into Windows
>>> Media Player 11 works fine!
>>>
>>> I really appreciate your help. I would like to overcome this issue

decisa

Re: mms:// protocol not working

I have the same problem with mms.
I have 3 computers, two of them have XP, one Vista Home Premium.
Everything's ok with XPs, both IE and FireFox launch mms content.
Everything was Ok with Vista too for couple weeks, but then it started
saying this:
"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
protocol(mms) is not associated with any program"
when you copy the address to clipboard and open it directly from WMP
everything's fine

Have no idea what to do

--
decisa
zachd [MSFT]

Re: mms:// protocol not working

*Why* are you trying to do this? I cannot think of any situation where this
would be supported. Since it is not supported, if it fails that is OK
because you should never have been doing that, as the reason it is and was
unsupported is that it is a bad and unfriendly practice.

Please do not do this.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"decisa" <decisa.2qwr5d@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have the same problem with mms.
> I have 3 computers, two of them have XP, one Vista Home Premium.
> Everything's ok with XPs, both IE and FireFox launch mms content.
> Everything was Ok with Vista too for couple weeks, but then it started
> saying this:
> "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
> protocol(mms) is not associated with any program"
> when you copy the address to clipboard and open it directly from WMP
> everything's fine
>
> Have no idea what to do
>

> --
> decisa

Jay B

Re: mms:// protocol not working
I have a feeling that this person is having the exact same problem that I am
having. When I try to open links from the internet on my Vista Business
machine (ex. http://whatever/somefile.asx ), Windows Media Player 11
complains with the following message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is
not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a
different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:").

Changing the http to rtsp doesn't do anything, same message. When I
download the .asx and extract the mms:// URL I get the same message yet again.

Something is simply broken.

I've already verified on the XP machine next to me that the .asx I'm using
does in fact exist, and does play correctly.

Perhaps we can take a look at that problem than concentrating on the misuse
of mms URL's. What is likely to cause the protocol to fail to work?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=C00D2EE0

As suggested in the above article, I've checked my WMP11 Network settings
and RTSP/UDP, RTSP/TCP and HTTP are all checked, along with "Allow the player
to receive multicast streams".

Thanks,

Jay B