No (.AVI) Video in Windows Media Player 11

Fritz

No (.AVI) Video in Windows Media Player 11
Hi
My OS is Vista Business.When i load a Windows Movie (.AVI) into my WMPlayer
it plays the audio but not the video [no picture].On my previous XP Window it
played with no problem.Since I'm very new to Win Vista I wonder if anybody
can help me out and tell me how I could fix this problem.Looking forward to
any suggestions.Thank you for your help Regards Fritz

Buellpilot

Re: No (.AVI) Video in Windows Media Player 11

The AVI format is just a container for the audio and video which can be
encoded in a number of different ways. To playback you need to have
a CODEC installed that matches the encoding method used in the AVI
file.

To find out what codec has been used you can use a utility called gspot
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ which will identify the video and audio
encoders used.

The most common type of AVI video encoding being used today is DivX or
Xvid, and you can downlaod these codecs for free.

http://www.divx.com/
http://www.xvid.org/

"Fritz" <Fritz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> My OS is Vista Business.When i load a Windows Movie (.AVI) into my
> WMPlayer
> it plays the audio but not the video [no picture].On my previous XP Window
> it
> played with no problem.Since I'm very new to Win Vista I wonder if
> anybody
> can help me out and tell me how I could fix this problem.Looking forward
> any suggestions.Thank you for your help Regards Fritz

Cal Bear '66

Re: No (.AVI) Video in Windows Media Player 11
I had the same problem. The AVI file was encoded with divx.

NOTE: If you go to divx.com and download the software. ONLY install the codec.
The rest of the package is not fully VISTA compatible.

"Fritz" <Fritz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> My OS is Vista Business.When i load a Windows Movie (.AVI) into my WMPlayer
> it plays the audio but not the video [no picture].On my previous XP Window it
> played with no problem.Since I'm very new to Win Vista I wonder if anybody
> can help me out and tell me how I could fix this problem.Looking forward to
> any suggestions.Thank you for your help Regards Fritz

Fritz

Re: No (.AVI) Video in Windows Media Player 11
Thank you very much for your help in directing me in the right
direction.After spending a lot of money I'm very disappointed that
"MICROSOFT" didn't include these codec's into the vista business installation
disk.Regards Fritz