Media Player won't open?

Ace

Media Player won't open?
I have a new HP laptop with Vista Home Premium on it. For about a month after
I bought it, all was working fine. Then Media Player stopped opening. I don't
know what happened -- I can still open if I right-click and open as an
administrator, but I still can't play any music or video files that I click
on. The computer just sits there, I get that blue "thinking" ring for a
fraction of a second, and that's it. I tried the regsvr32 spiel to no avail.
I don't have VLC Player, Nero or SatelliteTVforPC installed. Any ideas? This
is pretty frustrating, as simple media playback was a big reason why I
dropped $1,500 on a new computer.
Goddessxx

RE: Media Player won't open?
Oh my goodness! I have the exact same problem, started about two days ago.
It won't let me uninstall to download the new one either. Driving me
absolutely insane. HELP!!
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media Player won't open?

The first question is:
What is the value for:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, CLSID\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}\
InprocServer32
on this system?

Does wmplayer.exe show up in Task Manager in the Processes tab?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Ace" <Ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new HP laptop with Vista Home Premium on it. For about a month
>after
> I bought it, all was working fine. Then Media Player stopped opening. I
> don't
> know what happened -- I can still open if I right-click and open as an
> administrator, but I still can't play any music or video files that I
> click
> on. The computer just sits there, I get that blue "thinking" ring for a
> fraction of a second, and that's it. I tried the regsvr32 spiel to no
> avail.
> I don't have VLC Player, Nero or SatelliteTVforPC installed. Any ideas?
> This
> is pretty frustrating, as simple media playback was a big reason why I
> dropped $1,500 on a new computer.

Goddessxx

RE: Media Player won't open?
Way to go being bizarre computer... it's working for me now. Glitch I suppose?

"Goddessxx" wrote:

> Oh my goodness! I have the exact same problem, started about two days ago.
> It won't let me uninstall to download the new one either. Driving me
> absolutely insane. HELP!!

Goddessxx

RE: Media Player won't open?
I did what zachd suggested. The wmplayer.exe showed up in the Task Manager
even though it didn't show in the desktop.

End the process in Task Manager
Restart Player.