Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery

R3i

Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
I have downloaded and installed the latest Raw Codec from Nikon
(NcRawCodec101v) when prompted to do so by Vista when I ran Photo Gallery.

However when trying to view a raw file (NEF) in Photo Gallery I a still
getting the "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video".

Anyone have any ideas?
Barb Bowman

Re: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
it won't work on x64 versions of Vista.
if you are running 32 bit, did you reboot and try again?
what other editing software is installed on your computer? which
Nikon camera do you have?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
R3i

Re: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
Hi Barb, Thanks for the prompt reply.

To answer your questions:
1. I am running the 32 bit version
2. Yes I rebooted and also tried uninstall and re-install
3. It is a Nikon D80 - the site states that the codec is compatible with
this camera
4. Adobe CS2 & Elements 4 are installed. CS2 can open the NEF files OK.
5. Some further background information:
- We did have the codec running OK up until the middle of this week. But
then it just stopped working. When the Photo Gallery was launched, a message
then prompted us to download and install the codec. But this didn't resolve
the problem.
- We have not installed any other software in between the codec working and
not working. However a number of Windows Updates were installed. I tried
un-installing them but again this did not succeed.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> it won't work on x64 versions of Vista.
> if you are running 32 bit, did you reboot and try again?
> what other editing software is installed on your computer? which
> Nikon camera do you have?
>
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 02:42:00 -0700, R3i
> <R3i@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have downloaded and installed the latest Raw Codec from Nikon
> >(NcRawCodec101v) when prompted to do so by Vista when I ran Photo Gallery.
> >
> >However when trying to view a raw file (NEF) in Photo Gallery I a still
> >getting the "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video".
> >
> >Anyone have any ideas?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
the Adobe stuff uses the Adobe updater. I wonder if something there
caused this. Do you have a system restore point from before things
stopped working that you can try?

On Sun, 13 May 2007 10:23:01 -0700, R3i
<R3i@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Barb, Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
>To answer your questions:
>1. I am running the 32 bit version
>2. Yes I rebooted and also tried uninstall and re-install
>3. It is a Nikon D80 - the site states that the codec is compatible with
>this camera
>4. Adobe CS2 & Elements 4 are installed. CS2 can open the NEF files OK.
>5. Some further background information:
>- We did have the codec running OK up until the middle of this week. But
>then it just stopped working. When the Photo Gallery was launched, a message
>then prompted us to download and install the codec. But this didn't resolve
>the problem.
>- We have not installed any other software in between the codec working and
>not working. However a number of Windows Updates were installed. I tried
>un-installing them but again this did not succeed.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> it won't work on x64 versions of Vista.
>> if you are running 32 bit, did you reboot and try again?
>> what other editing software is installed on your computer? which
>> Nikon camera do you have?
>>
>> On Sun, 13 May 2007 02:42:00 -0700, R3i
>> <R3i@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have downloaded and installed the latest Raw Codec from Nikon
>> >(NcRawCodec101v) when prompted to do so by Vista when I ran Photo Gallery.
>> >
>> >However when trying to view a raw file (NEF) in Photo Gallery I a still
>> >getting the "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video".
>> >
>> >Anyone have any ideas?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
AL

RE: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
Barb,

I shoot with the D2X and run Adobe Photoshop CS3. The problem I think is
that the Public Key Certificare has expired and windows is blocking the Nikon
Raw Codec 101 file. I tried various work arounds including unistall
reinstall etc, still will not work. I cannot get Microsoft or Nikon to answer
yet any help will be appreciated.

"R3i" wrote:

> I have downloaded and installed the latest Raw Codec from Nikon
> (NcRawCodec101v) when prompted to do so by Vista when I ran Photo Gallery.
>
> However when trying to view a raw file (NEF) in Photo Gallery I a still
> getting the "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video".
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

PapaJohn

Re: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
I'm running into the same or a similar issue....

the JPG and NEF (RAW) pictures from my Nikon D40x open in Nikon's Picture
Perfect, but only the JPG images show up in Photo Gallery. If I try to open
an NEF image in Photo Gallery, I get an error message about

"Photo Gallery can't open theis picture... the file format is not supported,
or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery"

I'm also no getting a message each time I startup Photo Gallery, about an
update to Photo Gallery being available.... if I say to download, it takes
me to the Nikon RAW codec download page.... and if I keep going there, it
says I already have the latest codec and do I really want to replace it.
Letting it replace it a couple times doesn't satisfy it. So I'm in some sort
of loop that I can't get out of.

Adding the same folder to the gallery, with the JPG and NEF images in it,
doesn't result in the NEF images showing up...

PapaJohn

"R3i" <R3i@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have downloaded and installed the latest Raw Codec from Nikon
> (NcRawCodec101v) when prompted to do so by Vista when I ran Photo Gallery.
>
> However when trying to view a raw file (NEF) in Photo Gallery I a still
> getting the "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video".
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

R3i

Re: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
I have exactly the same situation here in that Photo Gallery keeps telling me
to update my Codec from the Nikon site.

I even tried installing the previous verson of the codec (NcRawCodec100v)
but not surprisingly this was no better.

AL's proposition about an expired Public Key Certificate seems very
plausible to me. But which of Nikon or Microsoft can provide the solution?

"PapaJohn" wrote:

> I'm running into the same or a similar issue....
>
> the JPG and NEF (RAW) pictures from my Nikon D40x open in Nikon's Picture
> Perfect, but only the JPG images show up in Photo Gallery. If I try to open
> an NEF image in Photo Gallery, I get an error message about
>
> "Photo Gallery can't open theis picture... the file format is not supported,
> or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery"
>
> I'm also no getting a message each time I startup Photo Gallery, about an
> update to Photo Gallery being available.... if I say to download, it takes
> me to the Nikon RAW codec download page.... and if I keep going there, it
> says I already have the latest codec and do I really want to replace it.
> Letting it replace it a couple times doesn't satisfy it. So I'm in some sort
> of loop that I can't get out of.
>
> Adding the same folder to the gallery, with the JPG and NEF images in it,
> doesn't result in the NEF images showing up...
>

> PapaJohn
>

> "R3i" <R3i@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have downloaded and installed the latest Raw Codec from Nikon
> > (NcRawCodec101v) when prompted to do so by Vista when I ran Photo Gallery.
> >
> > However when trying to view a raw file (NEF) in Photo Gallery I a still
> > getting the "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video".
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?

Barb Bowman

Re: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
try sending an email asking for an explanation and a fix to the PIX
team through their blog
http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/contact.aspx

On Sun, 13 May 2007 11:55:00 -0700, R3i

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
ed

Re: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
Hi All...

My original post went out on the 12th regarding this... I suppose it will
be Tues or later to see a fix posted...

Interesting... Windows Explorer will not show nef thumbnails and Photo
Gallery is the same... BUT ALL other programs see and show the nef files
just fine to include MS Digital Image Suite...

Ed

"R3i" <R3i@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have downloaded and installed the latest Raw Codec from Nikon
> (NcRawCodec101v) when prompted to do so by Vista when I ran Photo Gallery.
>
> However when trying to view a raw file (NEF) in Photo Gallery I a still
> getting the "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video".
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Ben

RE: Nikon Raw Codec not working in Photo Gallery
Same problem . . .