Windows Vista Photo Gallery.

Rhocor

Windows Vista Photo Gallery.
Can anyone help me change the way Vista Photo Gallery saves photos to the
Pictures location, as well as recently imported location, as well as a
catagory I set by naming a Tag, or creating a folder which I name? I've
tried working with the program, but it keeps putting photos I import in all
three locations. Is there anyway I can stop it putting photos in the
recently imported section and pictures section and only save photos in a
location I designate? I've used the command settings in the options list to
try to do that but the photos still are put in 3 locations. Also if I delete
a photo from any one of the three locations. it disappears from all three.
If I put 10,000 photos into Picture Gallery off backup CD's or DVD's I will
have 10,000 photos shown in the Pictures location, then the Recently Imported
location as well as Folders I set up and name. Is there any way to work
around the default settings in Photo Gallery. The help menu in Photo Gallery
or Microsoft help online has not helped me.
--
Rhocor
Dave Johnson [MSFT]

Re: Windows Vista Photo Gallery.
Rhocor,

Windows Photo Gallery is not making additional copies of your photos. There
is only one copy--in the Pictures folder, or wherever the picture was stored
originally. Every other instance is just a different way to view, or "pivot"
the information. The Recently Imported link, for example, just shows you
pictures you've recently added to the computer. It isn't a a folder called
Recently Imported. Likewise, the tags are a way to filter your photos
according to a custom keyword to find and organize your photos more easily.

Note that if you delete a photo in Photo Gallery, it's GONE--there isn't
another copy somewhere on your PC. This help topic:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a2ef41033.mspx

says this about that subject:

Photo Gallery is another way to view and organize your pictures and videos.
It displays pictures and videos that you've stored in Pictures and in other
folders on your computer. It is not a replacement for folders on your
computer. As a result, you should not delete the pictures in Photo Gallery
or the Pictures folder unless you actually intend to delete the pictures
from your computer. If you do, they will deleted from your computer and no
longer appear in either the Pictures folder or in Photo Gallery.

I hope that helps.

--
Dave Johnson
Windows User Assistance team