Watching ripped DVD's in Vista Ultimate: How do I do it?

Elvis Ramone

Watching ripped DVD's in Vista Ultimate: How do I do it?
Hello. I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP Pro. I'm using WMC for
the first time after having my HTPC all set up using Media Portal. In Media
Portal, I accessed my ripped DVD's (.iso files) and using an Intervideo codec
I was able to watch the movie. When installing Vista it forced me to remove
Daemon Tools, which Media Portal used to mount my .iso files to make them
playable (at least that's how I understand it, either way it worked fine
whatever it was doing...). When I ran WMC for the first time it scanned my
hdd for media and when I looked under "TV-Movies" it showed zero movies. So
I'm guessing Vista does not play iso image files? I can play a dvd from the
drive fine in Vista, but how can I have Vista play the movies I have ripped
and saved onto my harddrive? Is there an online guide for how to configure
and use WMC?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Buellpilot

Re: Watching ripped DVD's in Vista Ultimate: How do I do it?
You are right it does not play ISOs....
It will recognise, list and play Video_TS folders from the DVD Library.

"Elvis Ramone" <Elvis Ramone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP Pro. I'm using WMC
> for
> the first time after having my HTPC all set up using Media Portal. In
> Media
> Portal, I accessed my ripped DVD's (.iso files) and using an Intervideo
> codec
> I was able to watch the movie. When installing Vista it forced me to
> remove
> Daemon Tools, which Media Portal used to mount my .iso files to make them
> playable (at least that's how I understand it, either way it worked fine
> whatever it was doing...). When I ran WMC for the first time it scanned
> my
> hdd for media and when I looked under "TV-Movies" it showed zero movies.
> So
> I'm guessing Vista does not play iso image files? I can play a dvd from
> the
> drive fine in Vista, but how can I have Vista play the movies I have
> ripped
> and saved onto my harddrive? Is there an online guide for how to configure
> and use WMC?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!

Rich

RE: Watching ripped DVD's in Vista Ultimate: How do I do it?
Disclaimer: Assuming you are copying one time, DVDs you purchased not rented
or borrowed from a friend...

Search for two programs "DVDFAB Decrypter" and "My DVD Settings"

My DVD Settings - put your personal DVD in the drive, run this program,
click the get dvd details button, it reads the dvd, grabs the ID off it,
place this txt file in the dvd directory for that specific dvd.

example:
d:\mydvds\mymovie\mymovie.dvdid
where mymovie.dvdid is the text file that is created from using "My Dvd
Settings".

Usage:
When MCE starts and you open the DVD library, MCE will use that text file to
go out to the internet and grab the DVD movie info. You do nothing more...

- DVDFAB - this will take your DVD and rip it to your hard drive.
Copy the files to your hard drive or networked drive MCE can see.

Disclaimer: If you are not familiar or comfortable editing your registry,
don't. Call a friend who can...

Open Regedit in admin mode. (Start Menu, accessories, command prompt -
right click and select "Open as Administrator".)

Search for the following key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Media
Center\Settings\DvdSettings\ShowGallery

change "value data" in Show Gallery from "Play" to "Gallery"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Media
Center\Settings\DvdSettings\ShowGallery\Gallery

close Regedit

- Now when you click the media center icon on your remote, to the right of
the "Recorded TV" option you will see "DVD Library". Browse into that, right
click your mouse or hit I on the remote and select Add Movies, point this to
the directory you store your ripped DvDs.

There are sites like "the green button" that have more detail on this process.

"Elvis Ramone" wrote:

> Hello. I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP Pro. I'm using WMC for
> the first time after having my HTPC all set up using Media Portal. In Media
> Portal, I accessed my ripped DVD's (.iso files) and using an Intervideo codec
> I was able to watch the movie. When installing Vista it forced me to remove
> Daemon Tools, which Media Portal used to mount my .iso files to make them
> playable (at least that's how I understand it, either way it worked fine
> whatever it was doing...). When I ran WMC for the first time it scanned my
> hdd for media and when I looked under "TV-Movies" it showed zero movies. So
> I'm guessing Vista does not play iso image files? I can play a dvd from the
> drive fine in Vista, but how can I have Vista play the movies I have ripped
> and saved onto my harddrive? Is there an online guide for how to configure
> and use WMC?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!

lavvo

RE: Watching ripped DVD's in Vista Ultimate: How do I do it?
Hi,

I'm new here, but really found the answer I was looking for when I tried
using Vista Media Center the first time and I don't get to watch those ripped
movies that I watched on my MCE 2005. Thanks for your posting.

I have one question though, where can we get the "My DVD Settings"? Is this
a name of a third partyprogram? or Is it part of Vista already?

Thanks again, I appreciate you help.