PLEASE HELP! WMM to DVD problem

Captain Tatonka is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP! WMM to DVD problem
Hi All,
First let me apologize for not having the time to make a formal introduction post but I have been pulling my hair out here trying to take what is a nice and clear 30 minute video in WMM and transfer it to DVD with custom menu and such. I am using Winodws Vista on a Sony Vaio laptop.

Now the film as I see it in WMM is nice and clear and the sound is nice and stereo-sounding. It is an .avi in the timeline and is only one large file that is already edited. As I said, it looks clear and sounds clear in the preview pane.

Now I have ripped through an entire 50 pack of blank Memorex DV-R DVDs trying to get this right but I just can't. Everytime I make a DVD the playback on my TV is HORRIBLE! The video looks "choppy" and grainy, especially choppy when there is a camera pan or other movement. The audio also sounds "muffled". It just comes out rotten and looks nothing like it does on my PC. I am at wits end with this and just flung yet another failed DVD across the room in rage. This should not be this hard to do on a consumer PC.

Anyway, I have tried everything. I have tried taking this .avi (which is essentially a collection if individual scenes that were made in WMM separately and then all combined into one big .avi.) It is my understanding that WMM works better in terms of fades and transitions when there are fewer files in the timeline. So I made one big one that runs about a half hour. All of the raw footage this 30 minute film is made up of; came from an unedited DVD of camcorder footage. So the raw footage was, at one time, burned from the camcorder to a DVD without a PC, just using stand-alone. Then the DVD is inserted into the PC and copied. These are the raw mpegs I began editing with. As I finalized and published these individual segments, I did so as avi to preserve the highest quality, in spite of the ram they hog. These avis were all eventually combined and published as one large .avi, the one in question here that I am trying to get onto a DVD.

Now as I said, the quality of the .avi on my PC is GREAT! It looks just how I want it to. It's something that's going on when that file is put onto a DVD that is screwing it up terribly. It just plays grainy and jumpy on the TV and looks "old" whereas the quality on the PC is crystal clear and in stereo.

So, what I need to know is a step-by-step procedure to take this beautiful 30 minutes of video and get it onto a Memorex DVD-R while maintaining it's beautiful quality. I really am ready to pull my hair out here as I was working on a timetable and have now wasted two weeks just trying to get this on a DVD. I'm amazed at how much of a pain this is given all the modern technology we have. I'm sure I have everything I need on my PC...perhaps I am just doing the wrong thing.

Anyone out there that knows how to help me, PLEASE do. You have no idea how much it would mean to me to see this video play as nice on my TV as it does on the PC.

Thanks in advance and once again thanks for having me here guys. Sorry my intro post has to be so boring but right now I am rushed and desparate.

Thanks!

Last edited by Captain Tatonka : 01-20-2010 at 23:30.