Save Old DVDs to Computer

C and A Bredt

Save Old DVDs to Computer
I had some of my old family movie reels put onto DVDs.
I read that they need to be re-burned every few years to keep them from
deteriorating.
True?

When I look at them with Windows Explorer, there is a folder = VIDEO_TS,
that contains files with extensions = BUP, IFO, VOB.

Can I save them on my computer then later re-burn them to DVDs for storage?

Thanks, CB
--
C and A Bredt

whs

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer

C and A Bredt;1190694 Wrote:
> I had some of my old family movie reels put onto DVDs.
> I read that they need to be re-burned every few years to keep them from
> deteriorating.
> True?
>
> When I look at them with Windows Explorer, there is a folder =
> VIDEO_TS,
> that contains files with extensions = BUP, IFO, VOB.
>
> Can I save them on my computer then later re-burn them to DVDs for
> storage?
>
> Thanks, CB
> --
> C and A Bredt

Try this, it`s free. 'How To Rip DVDs with VLC :: the How-To Geek'
(http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2696/...dvds-with-vlc/)

--
whs
John Inzer

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer
C and A Bredt wrote:
> I had some of my old family movie reels put onto DVDs.
> I read that they need to be re-burned every few years to keep them
> from deteriorating.
> True?
>
> When I look at them with Windows Explorer, there is a folder =
> VIDEO_TS, that contains files with extensions = BUP, IFO, VOB.
>
> Can I save them on my computer then later re-burn them to DVDs for
> storage?
> Thanks, CB

===================================
Yes you can copy the DVD Files to your hard
drive but they take up lots of space. (no need
to RIP personal DVDs.because there is no
copy protection...just copy the files to a folder
on your hard drive)

The following freeware can make an ISO Image
of the DVD, then you can burn the ISO image on
as many copies as you want.

ImgBurn Download:
http://tinyurl.com/bbppnd
or...
http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...0&ssid=0&did=1

How to create an image file from a disc with ImgBurn
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379

How to write an image file to a disc with ImgBurn
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Graham Hughes

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer
If it were me I'd use a programme like nero or roxio and just do a straight
copy disc to disc of the dvds you wish to keep.
Buy high quality discs, Taiyo Yuden are very good, burn slowly, this gives
best burn. Keep discs in a cool dark place.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.zyx> wrote in message
>C and A Bredt wrote:
>> I had some of my old family movie reels put onto DVDs.
>> I read that they need to be re-burned every few years to keep them
>> from deteriorating.
>> True?
>>
>> When I look at them with Windows Explorer, there is a folder =
>> VIDEO_TS, that contains files with extensions = BUP, IFO, VOB.
>>
>> Can I save them on my computer then later re-burn them to DVDs for
>> storage?
>> Thanks, CB

> ===================================
> Yes you can copy the DVD Files to your hard
> drive but they take up lots of space. (no need
> to RIP personal DVDs.because there is no
> copy protection...just copy the files to a folder
> on your hard drive)
>
> The following freeware can make an ISO Image
> of the DVD, then you can burn the ISO image on
> as many copies as you want.
>
> ImgBurn Download:
> http://tinyurl.com/bbppnd
> or...
> http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...0&ssid=0&did=1
>
> How to create an image file from a disc with ImgBurn
> http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379
>
> How to write an image file to a disc with ImgBurn
> http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer
Graham Hughes wrote:
> If it were me I'd use a programme like nero or roxio and just do a
> straight copy disc to disc of the dvds you wish to keep.
> Buy high quality discs, Taiyo Yuden are very good, burn slowly, this
> gives best burn. Keep discs in a cool dark place.

===============================
OK...but you should try ImgBurn...it's
fast and once you have the ISO you
can make as many copies as you want.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

C and A Bredt

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer

> Graham Hughes wrote:
>> If it were me I'd use a programme like nero or roxio and just do a
>> straight copy disc to disc of the dvds you wish to keep.
>> Buy high quality discs, Taiyo Yuden are very good, burn slowly, this
>> gives best burn. Keep discs in a cool dark place.

> ===============================
> OK...but you should try ImgBurn...it's
> fast and once you have the ISO you
> can make as many copies as you want.
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

I am concerned that if it is stored on the computer in an ISO format
there may come a time when that format is no longer supported
by the computer's OS and programs. Then I would be unable to make the DVD.

If I use Windows Explorer and just copy the files to a folder on
my computer, how would I make a DVD that will play on a
DVD player?

I did copy one to a disk using Windows Explorer.
It plays on the computer, but not on the DVD player. The original
does play on it.

Thanks, CB

--
C and A Bredt

John Inzer

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer
C and A Bredt wrote:
> I am concerned that if it is stored on the computer in an ISO format
> there may come a time when that format is no longer supported
> by the computer's OS and programs. Then I would be unable to make the
> DVD.
> If I use Windows Explorer and just copy the files to a folder on
> my computer, how would I make a DVD that will play on a
> DVD player?
>
> I did copy one to a disk using Windows Explorer.
> It plays on the computer, but not on the DVD player. The original
> does play on it.
>
> Thanks, CB

================================
For that matter DVDs might be obsolete
in the not too distant future...but I still think
I would go with ImgBurn to create and burn
ISO files.

I think Graham Hughes offered you good
advice on copying DVDs.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

C and A Bredt

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer
>C and A Bredt wrote:
>> I am concerned that if it is stored on the computer in an ISO format
>> there may come a time when that format is no longer supported
>> by the computer's OS and programs. Then I would be unable to make the
>> DVD.
>> If I use Windows Explorer and just copy the files to a folder on
>> my computer, how would I make a DVD that will play on a
>> DVD player?
>>
>> I did copy one to a disk using Windows Explorer.
>> It plays on the computer, but not on the DVD player. The original
>> does play on it.
>>
>> Thanks, CB

> ================================
> For that matter DVDs might be obsolete
> in the not too distant future...but I still think
> I would go with ImgBurn to create and burn
> ISO files.
>
> I think Graham Hughes offered you good
> advice on copying DVDs.
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Good point - I remember the 5 1/4 inch disks.

Is using a Roxio/Nero type program better than copying it by playing it
from a DVD player to a DVD recorder?

Thanks, CB
--
C and A Bredt

John Inzer

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer
C and A Bredt wrote:
> Good point - I remember the 5 1/4 inch disks.
>
> Is using a Roxio/Nero type program better than copying it by playing
> it from a DVD player to a DVD recorder?
>
> Thanks, CB

====================================
Hard to say what's better...if you can copy the
DVDs with your DVD Recorder...that's probably
just as good and easier (no computer required).

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

C and A Bredt

Re: Save Old DVDs to Computer
>C and A Bredt wrote:
>> Good point - I remember the 5 1/4 inch disks.
>>
>> Is using a Roxio/Nero type program better than copying it by playing
>> it from a DVD player to a DVD recorder?
>>
>> Thanks, CB

> ====================================
> Hard to say what's better...if you can copy the
> DVDs with your DVD Recorder...that's probably
> just as good and easier (no computer required).
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice