Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Thumbnails in Vista x64

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
Thumbnails in Vista x64
I just bought a new computer with Vista x64 pre-installed.

Windows Explorer displays proper thumbnails for .wmv and .mpg videos files;
however, only a generic thumbnail is displayed for all .AVI files.

I installed the CCCP codec pack, but it did not solve the problem.

I went to the Divx web site, and it says that their download is for x86
only.

How can I get Windows Explorer to display proper thumbnails for AVI files
with Vista x64?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnails in Vista x64
Cal Bear '66 wrote:
> I just bought a new computer with Vista x64 pre-installed.
>
> Windows Explorer displays proper thumbnails for .wmv and .mpg videos
> files; however, only a generic thumbnail is displayed for all .AVI
> files.
> I installed the CCCP codec pack, but it did not solve the problem.
>
> I went to the Divx web site, and it says that their download is for
> x86 only.
>
> How can I get Windows Explorer to display proper thumbnails for AVI
> files with Vista x64?

==============================================
No guarantees...but running the followng command may help...

Open the Run Box by holding your Windows Logo key and press R...
(Picture of Windows Logo Key
http://easytechtalk.com/wp-content/u...indows-key.jpg

In the Run Box...type or copy/paste...

regsvr32 shmedia.dll

(yes...there is a space between 2 and s)
Press...Enter...

You should see a dialog that states:
"DllRegisterServer in shmedia.dll succeeded"

Or...maybe the following article would be worth a look:

FIX: Missing Thumbnails for Videos
(WMV, AVI, MPG) in Windows Explorer
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/FIXMis...xp lorer.aspx

Good luck...

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnails in Vista x64
Thank you Mr. Inzer for your reply.

The regsvr32 command (run from an elevated command prompt) did not work
(module not found).

I did an advanced search on my C: drive (including system and hidden files),
and I do not have shmedia.dll. Could this be because I am running Vista
x64?

I ran the reg fix from the site that you suggested. SOME avi files are now
showing a proper thumbnail. I deleted the thumbnail cache; however, still
only some avi's are displaying properly.

Thank you again for your help.

DCR



"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.zyx> wrote in message
news:upKkXPoVKHA.1792@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Cal Bear '66 wrote:
>> I just bought a new computer with Vista x64 pre-installed.
>>
>> Windows Explorer displays proper thumbnails for .wmv and .mpg videos
>> files; however, only a generic thumbnail is displayed for all .AVI
>> files.
>> I installed the CCCP codec pack, but it did not solve the problem.
>>
>> I went to the Divx web site, and it says that their download is for
>> x86 only.
>>
>> How can I get Windows Explorer to display proper thumbnails for AVI
>> files with Vista x64?

> ==============================================
> No guarantees...but running the followng command may help...
>
> Open the Run Box by holding your Windows Logo key and press R...
> (Picture of Windows Logo Key
> http://easytechtalk.com/wp-content/u...indows-key.jpg
>
> In the Run Box...type or copy/paste...
>
> regsvr32 shmedia.dll
>
> (yes...there is a space between 2 and s)
> Press...Enter...
>
> You should see a dialog that states:
> "DllRegisterServer in shmedia.dll succeeded"
>
> Or...maybe the following article would be worth a look:
>
> FIX: Missing Thumbnails for Videos
> (WMV, AVI, MPG) in Windows Explorer
> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/FIXMis...xp lorer.aspx
>
> Good luck...
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Thumbnails in Vista x64
Cal Bear '66 wrote:
> Thank you Mr. Inzer for your reply.
>
> The regsvr32 command (run from an elevated command prompt) did not
> work (module not found).
>
> I did an advanced search on my C: drive (including system and hidden
> files), and I do not have shmedia.dll. Could this be because I am
> running Vista x64?
>
> I ran the reg fix from the site that you suggested. SOME avi files
> are now showing a proper thumbnail. I deleted the thumbnail cache;
> however, still only some avi's are displaying properly.
>
> Thank you again for your help.
>
> DCR

=======================================
Sorry....I thought it was worth a try.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2009
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re:'One More' Thumbnails in Vista x64
I wonder if the following link would be worth a look:

Nero/Vista-thumbnail fix
http://tinyurl.com/yhn8mm7
or.....
http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.p...-registry-fix/

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

=============================

> Cal Bear '66 wrote:
>> Thank you Mr. Inzer for your reply.
>>
>> The regsvr32 command (run from an elevated command prompt) did not
>> work (module not found).
>>
>> I did an advanced search on my C: drive (including system and hidden
>> files), and I do not have shmedia.dll. Could this be because I am
>> running Vista x64?
>>
>> I ran the reg fix from the site that you suggested. SOME avi files
>> are now showing a proper thumbnail. I deleted the thumbnail cache;
>> however, still only some avi's are displaying properly.
>>
>> Thank you again for your help.
>>
>> DCR

> =======================================
> Sorry....I thought it was worth a try.





Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't I view thumbnails in Vista? Roberto Carruso microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 7 08-08-2009 14:36
Thumbnails Photoshop on Vista x64 bit kkm microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 3 03-24-2009 22:18
Caching PNG thumbnails in Vista Jules Winfield microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 01-22-2008 18:16
RAW thumbnails for Vista? DrDaveK microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 3 07-30-2007 16:51
Help and support thumbnails vista crabbyden microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 06-15-2007 20:07




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:15.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120