Vista DVD maker:Publish to DVD works, but additional copy always f

Iain L

Vista DVD maker:Publish to DVD works, but additional copy always f
I use Movie Maker 6 in Vista Ultimate and love it. I then Publish to DVD
with no problems. My problem is, when it's done with the first DVD, it asks
me if I would like to make another copy. If I choose yes, it starts for
about 30 seconds into it, then gives me the general error that my drive,
media, or burn speed might have caused it to fail. I burn at Medium speed,
and it never fails during the first write or copy. If I want another copy,
and I then have to start from MM and publish again, and wait forever for it
to encode again. Where is the log stored for DVD Maker, I'm sure that might
give me some clue to what is exactly causing it? Also it damages my disc, so
I know it started the write process since my disc are not reusable after the
error.

Seems like a very strange problem, anyone have any ideas? Note that this
question was posed by someone else in Nov 2008 on Technet but I cannot find
any reference to an answer, so I am trying here as suggested,

--
Iain
John Inzer

Re: Vista DVD maker:Publish to DVD works, but additional copy always f
Iain L wrote:
> I use Movie Maker 6 in Vista Ultimate and love it. I then Publish to
> DVD with no problems. My problem is, when it's done with the first
> DVD, it asks me if I would like to make another copy. If I choose
> yes, it starts for about 30 seconds into it, then gives me the
> general error that my drive, media, or burn speed might have caused
> it to fail. I burn at Medium speed, and it never fails during the
> first write or copy. If I want another copy, and I then have to
> start from MM and publish again, and wait forever for it to encode
> again. Where is the log stored for DVD Maker, I'm sure that might
> give me some clue to what is exactly causing it? Also it damages my
> disc, so I know it started the write process since my disc are not
> reusable after the error.
>
> Seems like a very strange problem, anyone have any ideas? Note that
> this question was posed by someone else in Nov 2008 on Technet but I
> cannot find any reference to an answer, so I am trying here as
> suggested,

FWIW...slower burn speeds are best.

I understand that you want to know the cause
and how to correct it but sometimes that can
be quite illusive. I do however suspect the issue
is somehow related to system resources.

Anyway...here's a possible alternative that may
be worth a try.

First...burn your DVD...then download and install
the freeware ImgBurn. Then create an ISO Image
of the DVD and then you can burn as many copies
as you wish.

ImgBurn Download:
http://tinyurl.com/bbppnd
or...
http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...0&ssid=0&did=1

How to create an image file from a disc with ImgBurn
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379

How to write an image file to a disc with ImgBurn
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Iain L

Re: Vista DVD maker:Publish to DVD works, but additional copy alwa
John,

You are right that I'd like to have known what the original issue was, but
I'm less interested now as this solution is just excellent, worked first
time, thanks very much for the advice,

Iain
--
Iain

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Iain L wrote:
> > I use Movie Maker 6 in Vista Ultimate and love it. I then Publish to
> > DVD with no problems. My problem is, when it's done with the first
> > DVD, it asks me if I would like to make another copy. If I choose
> > yes, it starts for about 30 seconds into it, then gives me the
> > general error that my drive, media, or burn speed might have caused
> > it to fail. I burn at Medium speed, and it never fails during the
> > first write or copy. If I want another copy, and I then have to
> > start from MM and publish again, and wait forever for it to encode
> > again. Where is the log stored for DVD Maker, I'm sure that might
> > give me some clue to what is exactly causing it? Also it damages my
> > disc, so I know it started the write process since my disc are not
> > reusable after the error.
> >
> > Seems like a very strange problem, anyone have any ideas? Note that
> > this question was posed by someone else in Nov 2008 on Technet but I
> > cannot find any reference to an answer, so I am trying here as
> > suggested,

> FWIW...slower burn speeds are best.
>
> I understand that you want to know the cause
> and how to correct it but sometimes that can
> be quite illusive. I do however suspect the issue
> is somehow related to system resources.
>
> Anyway...here's a possible alternative that may
> be worth a try.
>
> First...burn your DVD...then download and install
> the freeware ImgBurn. Then create an ISO Image
> of the DVD and then you can burn as many copies
> as you wish.
>
> ImgBurn Download:
> http://tinyurl.com/bbppnd
> or...
> http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...0&ssid=0&did=1
>
> How to create an image file from a disc with ImgBurn
> http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379
>
> How to write an image file to a disc with ImgBurn
> http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

lemur

Re: Vista DVD maker:Publish to DVD works, but additional copy always f

What is the make and model of your computer, as well as the make and
model of your dvd drive?

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::

Iain L wrote:
> John,
>
> You are right that I'd like to have known what the original issue
> was, but I'm less interested now as this solution is just excellent,
> worked first time, thanks very much for the advice,
>
> Iain

===========================
You're welcome.

Thanks for the update.