Scanning with Vista Premium

Tom

Scanning with Vista Premium
I have a Notebook that came loaded with Vista, bought a HP Photo Smart All in
One. The scanner works fine in Photo smart, but in Windows Photo Gallery or
MS Paint it does not see the scanner. This is on a wireless network. HP has
no answer to this problem. In the control panels the printer/scanner is there
and it works, just for some reason the scanner is not available in all
applications.
Adam Albright

Re: Scanning with Vista Premium
On Thu, 3 May 2007 06:54:00 -0700, Tom <Tom
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Notebook that came loaded with Vista, bought a HP Photo Smart All in
>One. The scanner works fine in Photo smart, but in Windows Photo Gallery or
>MS Paint it does not see the scanner. This is on a wireless network. HP has
>no answer to this problem. In the control panels the printer/scanner is there
>and it works, just for some reason the scanner is not available in all
>applications.

That's interesting. Since I just bought a Cannon all-in-one (MP600) I
was interested too. Now this is funny... I normally would scan from
Photoshop or one of my other graphic programs since most have a import
feature on their File menu choices list. Like you, I tired to scan
from Vista's Photo Gallery and didn't see any option to do that.

But wait...

I went the Vista's help, looked up 'scan' and sure enough it says you
can scan for Photo Gallery.

This is the funny part. From the help page there is a link to Photo
Gallery. If you click on it it opens Photo Gallery in a totally
different view that I never saw before and guess what... doing it this
way there is a option to scan from it's file menu titled 'import from
camera or scanner'. Go figure.

Still curious, I next found a entry in Vista's help that took me to a
FAQ for Photo Galley. Now, we're getting somewhere I thought. Wrong!
It says to click on File, then options in Photo Gallery. Well in my
business version there is no such option on Photo Gallery's file menu
and till today I've never seen the Photo Galley page that opens only
from the help system and only then does it present the scan option.

Typical Microsoft bungling.

Mary

Re: Scanning with Vista Premium
The scanner might have to be connected & on and the File menu--not
options--has Import from camera or scanner.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2007 06:54:00 -0700, Tom <Tom
> @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Notebook that came loaded with Vista, bought a HP Photo Smart All in
> >One. The scanner works fine in Photo smart, but in Windows Photo Gallery or
> >MS Paint it does not see the scanner. This is on a wireless network. HP has
> >no answer to this problem. In the control panels the printer/scanner is there
> >and it works, just for some reason the scanner is not available in all
> >applications.

> That's interesting. Since I just bought a Cannon all-in-one (MP600) I
> was interested too. Now this is funny... I normally would scan from
> Photoshop or one of my other graphic programs since most have a import
> feature on their File menu choices list. Like you, I tired to scan
> from Vista's Photo Gallery and didn't see any option to do that.
>
> But wait...
>
> I went the Vista's help, looked up 'scan' and sure enough it says you
> can scan for Photo Gallery.
>
> This is the funny part. From the help page there is a link to Photo
> Gallery. If you click on it it opens Photo Gallery in a totally
> different view that I never saw before and guess what... doing it this
> way there is a option to scan from it's file menu titled 'import from
> camera or scanner'. Go figure.
>
> Still curious, I next found a entry in Vista's help that took me to a
> FAQ for Photo Galley. Now, we're getting somewhere I thought. Wrong!
> It says to click on File, then options in Photo Gallery. Well in my
> business version there is no such option on Photo Gallery's file menu
> and till today I've never seen the Photo Galley page that opens only
> from the help system and only then does it present the scan option.
>
> Typical Microsoft bungling.

Adam Albright

Re: Scanning with Vista Premium
On Thu, 3 May 2007 13:51:01 -0700, Mary
<Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The scanner might have to be connected & on and the File menu--not
>options--has Import from camera or scanner.

Doesn't show up anywhere on my install of Vista under Photo Gallery.
Strange. Regardless if the printer/scanner is off or on (it's one of
those multifunciton models) no scan option appears on Photo Galley's
File Menu anywhere or anywhere else and I've tried every menu item,
even looked under print.

Yet there is nothing wrong with the printer/scanner, the option to
scan is automatically added on SMART applications like Photoshop
regardless if the printer/scanner is online or off. It doesn't really
matter for me since I would always scan from Photoshop anyway. It just
seems odd that it doesn't show up where Vista Help says it is suppose
to be. I wonder if the Microsoft disabled this feature from the Vista
Business version too like they disabled the ability to burn DVD's.
Anybody know for sure?