Saturation problems when publishing

ISW

Saturation problems when publishing

I originally posted this on another message board, but have not received
any responses, so I'm posting here in hopes that someone can help me.

When I publish my movie (to a DVD or my computer), the red tones
(specifically skin tones) tend to be over saturated. The people in the
pictures look like they're sunburned.

I originally created the movie on my old computer using version 2.1
(XP) and never had this problem. When I got my new computer over the
weekend and opened up the movie in version 6.0 (Vista) the pictures also
looked fine. However, when I publish it only the red tones look over
saturated. Any ideas what would cause this problem?

Please help!

--
ISW
whs

Re: Saturation problems when publishing

I assume you use WMM and you probably used the default bitrate. I
suggest you try the 5.9 Mbps rate. Makes the file bigger but may cure
your problem.

--
whs
ISW

whs;1122011 Wrote:
> I assume you use WMM and you probably used the default bitrate. I
> suggest you try the 5.9 Mbps rate. Makes the file bigger but may cure
> your problem.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using WMM. Sorry, I forgot to mention
that. As for bitrate, I use the default when publishing to a DVD (there
are no options to change it). When publishing to my computer, I used the
HD 1080p (7.8 Mbps) setting.

--
ISW
whs

Re: Saturation problems when publishing

For a test, publish it to your computer rather than to DVD. BTW: 7.8Mbps
is the highest possible setting in WMM.

--
whs
ISW

whs;1122557 Wrote:
> For a test, publish it to your computer rather than to DVD. BTW: 7.8Mbps
> is the highest possible setting in WMM.

I've already tried publishing it to my computer and it did the same
thing. I also tried messing with the pictures themselves and it didn't
make any difference, so the problem is definitely occurring during the
publishing process.

--
ISW
whs

Re: Saturation problems when publishing

I assume you are right. I have used WMM a few times (with ,wmv files)
and did not encounter that problem. But because of the poor quality
output of WMM, I use Machete ( 'Machete: Quick and Lean Video Editor'
(http://www.machetesoft.com/) ) now. It is a far superior tool although
it costs $20 (lifetime) and has a few restrictions (that can be overcome
with proper planning). They have a trial version which I believe runs
for 2 weeks. Maybe you want to give it a try.

--
whs
John Inzer

ISW wrote:
> I originally posted this on another message board, but have not
> received any responses, so I'm posting here in hopes that someone can
> help me.
>
> When I publish my movie (to a DVD or my computer), the red tones
> (specifically skin tones) tend to be over saturated. The people in the
> pictures look like they're sunburned.
>
> I originally created the movie on my old computer using version 2.1
> (XP) and never had this problem. When I got my new computer over the
> weekend and opened up the movie in version 6.0 (Vista) the pictures
> also looked fine. However, when I publish it only the red tones look
> over saturated. Any ideas what would cause this problem?
>
> Please help!

======================
Just a thought....

Photo Gallery has a similar issue and
I wonder if they may be related? And...
yes...even though the following articles
mention Yellow...in some cases...the pix
appear Red also.

(939395) When you view an image in Windows
Photo Gallery on a Windows Vista-based computer,
the image is yellow
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939395/en-us

Microsoft PhotoBlog Frequently Asked Questions:
http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/pages/faq.aspx#q6
Read: "Q: Why do my photos have an odd color
cast in the Photo Gallery (but look fine in the XP
Picture and Fax Viewer and IE)?"

Yellow pictures in Windows Photo Gallery
http://tinyurl.com/33gxum
or...
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...o-gallery.html

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

ISW

John Inzer;1124512 Wrote:

> Just a thought....
>
> Photo Gallery has a similar issue and
> I wonder if they may be related? And...
> yes...even though the following articles
> mention Yellow...in some cases...the pix
> appear Red also.
>
> (939395) When you view an image in Windows
> Photo Gallery on a Windows Vista-based computer,
> the image is yellow
> 'When you view an image in Windows Photo Gallery on a Windows
> Vista-based computer, the image is yellow'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939395/en-us)
>
> Microsoft PhotoBlog Frequently Asked Questions:
> 'Windows Live Photo & Video Blog : Frequently Asked Questions'
> (http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/pages/faq.aspx#q6)
> Read: "Q: Why do my photos have an odd color
> cast in the Photo Gallery (but look fine in the XP
> Picture and Fax Viewer and IE)?"
>
> Yellow pictures in Windows Photo Gallery
> 'Yellow pictures in Windows Photo Gallery - Vista Forums'
> (http://tinyurl.com/33gxum)
> or...
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...o-gallery.html

I think you may have something there. I did try playing around with the
color management settings the other day and when I switched from the
default to the ColorMatch RGB setting it did fix the red tint a little,
but not totally, so I'm thinking I just need to figure out which setting
works best. I'll keep trying and see if that works. Thanks everyone for
your help.

--
ISW