Can't view folders or pictures in Gallery

browniebodrum

Can't view folders or pictures in Gallery
Since migrating folders from my previous (XP) laptop to a new one running
Vista Business, I've never got Windows Photo Gallery (WPG) to work properly
with my picture folders. All the pictures I've taken are in a folder called
Pictures, (it was the 'My Pictures folder in XP) which to get to now, in
Vista's version of Windows Explorer I navigate to like this:
[MyName]\Pictures. If I open a picture from there, it opens with WPG and I
can change its settings, name etc, move forward/back through the pictures in
that folder and so on.

But if open WPG from the Start menu and then try and add my 'Pictures'
folder (where the pictures really are) by browsing to it, I just get this
message: You can't add this location to the Gallery. This folder or one of
its parent folders is considered a system folder or marked as hidden. It's
recommended that you move your pictures to the Pictures folder or to another
folder. How can I do this when they're already IN the 'Pictures' folder?
I've tried moving some photo folders to 'Documents' but this produced the
same error message.

I can open and view a particular picture in WPG but I really want to start
cataloguing and tagging hundreds of them in tens of different folders and I
can't do that while I can't view their folders in WPG.

If I open WPG from the Start menu, there ARE photos showing there, but they
are 'public' and 'sample' pictures that came with the hardware, not ones I've
taken...

Any suggestions, please?

John Inzer

Re: Can't view folders or pictures in Gallery
browniebodrum wrote:
> Since migrating folders from my previous (XP) laptop to a new one
> running Vista Business, I've never got Windows Photo Gallery (WPG) to
> work properly with my picture folders. All the pictures I've taken
> are in a folder called Pictures, (it was the 'My Pictures folder in
> XP) which to get to now, in Vista's version of Windows Explorer I
> navigate to like this: [MyName]\Pictures. If I open a picture from
> there, it opens with WPG and I can change its settings, name etc,
> move forward/back through the pictures in that folder and so on.
>
> But if open WPG from the Start menu and then try and add my 'Pictures'
> folder (where the pictures really are) by browsing to it, I just get
> folder or one of its parent folders is considered a system folder or
> marked as hidden. It's recommended that you move your pictures to the
> Pictures folder or to another folder. How can I do this when they're
> already IN the 'Pictures' folder? I've tried moving some photo
> folders to 'Documents' but this produced the same error message.
>
> I can open and view a particular picture in WPG but I really want to
> start cataloguing and tagging hundreds of them in tens of different
> folders and I can't do that while I can't view their folders in WPG.
>
> If I open WPG from the Start menu, there ARE photos showing there,
> but they are 'public' and 'sample' pictures that came with the
> hardware, not ones I've taken...
>
> Any suggestions, please?

=============================
First suggestion would be to download
and install Windows Live Photo Gallery.
http://download.live.com/photogallery

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

browniebodrum

Re: Can't view folders or pictures in Gallery
Downloaded and installed Windows Live Photo Gallery as you suggested only to
find it returns exactly the same error as the original WPG when I try and add
my 'Pictures' folder to the Gallery: Folder can't be included in the gallery
This folder, or a folder it's in, is marked as hidden. Photo Gallery can't
index hidden folders.

browniebodrum wrote:
> Downloaded and installed Windows Live Photo Gallery as you suggested
> only to find it returns exactly the same error as the original WPG
> when I try and add my 'Pictures' folder to the Gallery: Folder can't
> be included in the gallery This folder, or a folder it's in, is
> marked as hidden. Photo Gallery can't index hidden folders.

====================================
Hmmm...this is a perplexing issue.

Is your Pictures folder Hidden?

--