Help needed with Audio Service

Mab_Faerie

Help needed with Audio Service

Hey guys, i've had a recurring problem with the sound on my system for a
while now. I've managed to fix it a few times on my own, but i need a
little help this time around.

I have windows vista home premium, i don't use any hooked up speakers,
i just use the sound the system came with.
I'm not exactly sure when or how the sound stopped working but i've
been trying to fix it for a week or so. I just cleaned my computer after
a virus scare, so i'm wondering if there's a possibility that some
important files for the sound to work were deleted or altered somehow.

I'm using Realtek high definition audio service and when i updated the
drivers the sound came back on, but when i restarted the system, the
sound shut off again.
The message i see next to the sound icon says "The audio service is not
running" and when i try to enable windows audio service, nothing
happens.
I can't open the volume mixer since it's grayed out.
I just ran Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services and it says
that "One or more audio service isn't running. Both the windows audio
and windows audio end point builder services must be running for audio
to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't running".
So when i tried to start the audio endpoint builder, it said "error
ox8007003 the system cannot find the path specified"

I'm stumped here, i have no idea what to do. Can anybody please help
me? And i'm not very computer literate, so step by step instructions
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Mab_Faerie
Mab_Faerie's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/126988.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Clevo

Re: Help needed with Audio Service

My understanding with the Realtek drivers is that if you install the
driver over an old one is that the first round of re-booting PC
uninstalls the old driver. You then need to install the driver again
after the first re-boot.

You can confirm if the driver is installed by going to Start/Control
Panel/Device Manager/Sound, video & game controllers. You should see
Realtek drivers listed there. If not then re-install the driver.

I recommend you buy a set of speakers or headphone(for laptop), you can
get decent ones quite cheaply and it makes a huge difference.

--
Clevo

Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB