I need to reduce the size of a video file

Flyrod

I need to reduce the size of a video file
I have a 4 gig video that i need to reduce to 300 mb or less. I'm running
vista with office 2007. Someone told me that i could do it in Movie Maker
but can't find the option. Suggerstions?

Thanks -
whs

Re: I need to reduce the size of a video file

Well, a 4 gig video file is not going to become a 300 mb file unless you
cut something out. You can try to convert it to another format with e.g.
Format Factory ( 'Format Factory - Free media file format converter'
(http://www.formatoz.com/) ), but I doubt that you will make such a big
gain.
If you need help to edit it and cut things out, post back. That can be
done with WMM.
If you want to do this operation in order to send it via the net. I
could recommend you register with e.g. Vimeo ('Vimeo, Video Sharing For
You' (http://www.vimeo.com/) ) and upload the file there. Then it can be
watched on-line or downloaded.

--
whs
John Inzer

Flyrod wrote:
> I have a 4 gig video that i need to reduce to 300 mb or less. I'm
> running vista with office 2007. Someone told me that i could do it
> in Movie Maker but can't find the option. Suggerstions?
>
> Thanks -

===================================
Is this a single 4 GB file? Or is it the complete
contents of a Video DVD?

What is the format of the 4 GB video file?

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

pg123

"Flyrod" <Flyrod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 4 gig video that i need to reduce to 300 mb or less. I'm running
> vista with office 2007. Someone told me that i could do it in Movie Maker
> but can't find the option. Suggerstions?

Yes, it can be done, but you might not be able to get it as small as you
want.

First import it into Movie Maker (it depends on the format whether you can
do that) using the "Import Media" button, and then drag it to the storyboard
or timeline. You might just like to preview it to check everything is OK.
Then click "Publish Movie". On the third set of options choose "Compress to"
and use the arrows to make the figure as small as possible. Click "Publish"
and wait. I've managed to compress a video by a factor of over 5 using this
method, of course quality will be reduced. If you want to make the video any
smaller you'll have to cut bits out.

Good luck.

Paul