What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?

Dima

What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
Hello!
explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU for a minute when I open a folder with movies
or scroll the list of the files. The view mode is the list. The thumbnails
are not shown.
How to know what codec makes explorer.exe use 90% of CPU? I uninstalled Divx
Pro 7, this did not help. How to uninstall VP6 VFW Codec? I cannot fild a
uninstaller for it. I do not see any other codecs. VLC Player is installed.
Regards,
Dima
Robert Miles

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
"Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
> explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU for a minute when I open a folder with movies
> or scroll the list of the files. The view mode is the list. The thumbnails
> are not shown.
> How to know what codec makes explorer.exe use 90% of CPU? I uninstalled
> Divx
> Pro 7, this did not help. How to uninstall VP6 VFW Codec? I cannot fild a
> uninstaller for it. I do not see any other codecs. VLC Player is
> installed.
> Regards,
> Dima

..
How do you know that a codec is causing the problem? I'm also seeing heavy
use of explorer.exe at times when I open any directory with a large number
of
files, even when none of them are videos.

Robert Miles

Dima

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
Thanks Robert for replying!
People in groups and in forums write that this is because a codec tries to
decode a media in the folder.
Why does explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU Intel E6750 (RAM 6 gb) for a minute
after opening a folder with many files or scrolling the file list or
selecting a file in the folder?
Regards,
Dima
"Robert Miles" wrote:

> "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> > explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU for a minute when I open a folder with movies
> > or scroll the list of the files. The view mode is the list. The thumbnails
> > are not shown.
> > How to know what codec makes explorer.exe use 90% of CPU? I uninstalled
> > Divx
> > Pro 7, this did not help. How to uninstall VP6 VFW Codec? I cannot fild a
> > uninstaller for it. I do not see any other codecs. VLC Player is
> > installed.
> > Regards,
> > Dima

> ..
> How do you know that a codec is causing the problem? I'm also seeing heavy
> use of explorer.exe at times when I open any directory with a large number
> of
> files, even when none of them are videos.
>
> Robert Miles

Robert Miles

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
I wish I knew - it might help me solve some of the problems
I've had recently.

Robert Miles

> Thanks Robert for replying!
> People in groups and in forums write that this is because a codec tries to
> decode a media in the folder.
> Why does explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU Intel E6750 (RAM 6 gb) for a minute
> after opening a folder with many files or scrolling the file list or
> selecting a file in the folder?
> Regards,
> Dima
> "Robert Miles" wrote:
>
>> "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello!
>> > explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU for a minute when I open a folder with
>> > movies
>> > or scroll the list of the files. The view mode is the list. The
>> > thumbnails
>> > are not shown.
>> > How to know what codec makes explorer.exe use 90% of CPU? I uninstalled
>> > Divx
>> > Pro 7, this did not help. How to uninstall VP6 VFW Codec? I cannot fild
>> > uninstaller for it. I do not see any other codecs. VLC Player is
>> > installed.
>> > Regards,
>> > Dima

>> ..
>> How do you know that a codec is causing the problem? I'm also seeing
>> heavy
>> use of explorer.exe at times when I open any directory with a large
>> number
>> of
>> files, even when none of them are videos.
>>
>> Robert Miles

Dima

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
Hello!
I stopped Windows Search service and in 6 hours explorer.exe stopped using
90% of CPU after opening an HDD in a Windows explorer window. Other account
in my Windows do not have this problem at all. How to prevent explorer.exe
from using 90% of CPU?
Regards,
Dima

"Robert Miles" wrote:

> I wish I knew - it might help me solve some of the problems
> I've had recently.
>
> Robert Miles
>
> "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Robert for replying!
> > People in groups and in forums write that this is because a codec tries to
> > decode a media in the folder.
> > Why does explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU Intel E6750 (RAM 6 gb) for a minute
> > after opening a folder with many files or scrolling the file list or
> > selecting a file in the folder?
> > Regards,
> > Dima
> > "Robert Miles" wrote:
> >
> >> "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> ..
> >> How do you know that a codec is causing the problem? I'm also seeing
> >> heavy
> >> use of explorer.exe at times when I open any directory with a large
> >> number
> >> of
> >> files, even when none of them are videos.
> >>
> >> Robert Miles

Daniel Martín [MVP]

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
Hi, Dima:

I personally use Process Explorer's Thread tab
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx) to identify
which thread in Explorer.exe is consuming 90-100% of CPU. If you
double-click Explorer.exe, go to the Thread tab and double-click the thread
that is consuming the most CPU, you'll see its stack, and probably one of
the functions in that stack will be located in a codec file (.ax file).

In some cases, after disabling the codec the problem will reproduce again
with another codec involved. In that case, the probably culprit is a damaged
video file.

Of course, it's possible that the problem is NOT caused by a codec or a
damaged video file.

--
Regards/Saludos,
Daniel MartÃ*n

"Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
> explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU for a minute when I open a folder with movies
> or scroll the list of the files. The view mode is the list. The thumbnails
> are not shown.
> How to know what codec makes explorer.exe use 90% of CPU? I uninstalled
> Divx
> Pro 7, this did not help. How to uninstall VP6 VFW Codec? I cannot fild a
> uninstaller for it. I do not see any other codecs. VLC Player is
> installed.
> Regards,
> Dima

Dima

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
Thanks Daniel for your reply!
Stack for thread 3528
46% CPU
ntoskrnl.exe!IoAcquireRemoveLockEx+0xe7
USER32.dll!ScrollDC+0x6e
USER32.dll!IsWindow+0xdb
USER32.dll!MsgWaitForMultipleObjectsEx+0x2e
USER32.dll!MsgWaitForMultipleObjects+0x20
BROWSEUI.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x339c
BROWSEUI.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x3321
BROWSEUI.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x3246
BROWSEUI.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x3417
SHLWAPI.dll!StrCmpIW+0x37
ntdll.dll!RtlDeleteElementGenericTableAvl+0x282
ntdll.dll!RtlRealSuccessor+0x4c0
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

Stack for thread 3980
47% CPU
ntoskrnl.exe!IoAcquireRemoveLockEx+0xe7
USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0xca
USER32.dll!GetPropW+0x39
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0xec
USER32.dll!GetWindowLongPtrW+0x176
USER32.dll!GetWindowThreadProcessId+0x275
USER32.dll!SendMessageW+0x5d
SHDOCVW.dll!Ordinal198+0x175
SHDOCVW.dll!Ordinal153+0x1e11
SHDOCVW.dll!Ordinal174+0x410
SHDOCVW.dll!Ordinal174+0x3b6
SHDOCVW.dll!Ordinal153+0x1c7b
SHDOCVW.dll!Ordinal153+0x1c1e
SHDOCVW.dll!Ordinal153+0x13dc
SHELL32.dll!Ordinal258+0x3b4c2
SHELL32.dll!Ordinal184+0x871c
DUser.dll!DetachWndProc+0x323
USER32.dll!GetWindowLongPtrW+0x176
USER32.dll!GetWindowThreadProcessId+0x275
USER32.dll!SendMessageW+0x5d
comctl32.dll!Ordinal342+0x129f
comctl32.dll!InitCommonControls+0x3ecd1
comctl32.dll!InitCommonControls+0x3f1c6
comctl32.dll!InitCommonControls+0x40791
comctl32.dll!InitCommonControls+0x40a85
comctl32.dll!TaskDialog+0x295c4
USER32.dll!GetWindowLongPtrW+0x176
USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0xa0
USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0x18
comctl32.dll!CreateUpDownControl+0x250d
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x2e5
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x7c
SHDOCVW.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x5a2
SHDOCVW.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x642
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x2e5
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x7c
SHDOCVW.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x5a2
SHDOCVW.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x80d
SHDOCVW.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x72a
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x2e5
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x185
USER32.dll!GetWindowLongPtrW+0x176
USER32.dll!ReleaseDC+0x93
USER32.dll!CharPrevW+0xa5
ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcher+0x1f
USER32.dll!EndPaint+0x1a
USER32.dll!EndPaint+0x2c
BROWSEUI.dll!Ordinal126+0x262e
BROWSEUI.dll!Ordinal126+0x6308
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21
I do not see .ax.
What functions in the stacks use the CPU?
Regards,
Dima

"Daniel MartÃ*n [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi, Dima:
>
> I personally use Process Explorer's Thread tab
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx) to identify
> which thread in Explorer.exe is consuming 90-100% of CPU. If you
> double-click Explorer.exe, go to the Thread tab and double-click the thread
> that is consuming the most CPU, you'll see its stack, and probably one of
> the functions in that stack will be located in a codec file (.ax file).
>
> In some cases, after disabling the codec the problem will reproduce again
> with another codec involved. In that case, the probably culprit is a damaged
> video file.
>
> Of course, it's possible that the problem is NOT caused by a codec or a
> damaged video file.
>
> --
> Regards/Saludos,
> Daniel MartÃ*n
> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> > explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU for a minute when I open a folder with movies
> > or scroll the list of the files. The view mode is the list. The thumbnails
> > are not shown.
> > How to know what codec makes explorer.exe use 90% of CPU? I uninstalled
> > Divx
> > Pro 7, this did not help. How to uninstall VP6 VFW Codec? I cannot fild a
> > uninstaller for it. I do not see any other codecs. VLC Player is
> > installed.
> > Regards,
> > Dima

Daniel Martín [MVP]

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
[Follow-up set to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general]

It doesn't seem that a codec is causing your problem.

To see the real function names, you need to configure Process Explorer to
point to the Microsoft Symbol Server.

Basically, what you need to do is install Debugging Tools for Windows from
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...g/default.mspx and then open
Process Explorer, Options, Configure Symbols. Fill in that dialog box using
this screenshot as a template:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/conten...bolprocexp.png

When the problem reproduces again, repeat the steps I mentioned in my
stacks.

How is the system behaving when you start your computer in Safe Mode? To
boot in Safe Mode, press F8 before the Vista loading logo appears and select
"Safe Mode" from the menu.

--

> [...]
>> video file.
>>
>> Of course, it's possible that the problem is NOT caused by a codec or a
>> damaged video file.
>>
>> --
>> Regards/Saludos,
>> Daniel MartÃ*n
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
>>

>> "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello!
>> > explorer.exe uses 90% of CPU for a minute when I open a folder with
>> > movies
>> > or scroll the list of the files. The view mode is the list. The
>> > thumbnails
>> > are not shown.
>> > How to know what codec makes explorer.exe use 90% of CPU? I uninstalled
>> > Divx
>> > Pro 7, this did not help. How to uninstall VP6 VFW Codec? I cannot fild
>> > uninstaller for it. I do not see any other codecs. VLC Player is

Dima

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
Thanks Daniel for your instructions!
There is no the problem when I start my computer in Safe Mode.
The problem reappears when I start my computer in Diagnostic startup mode
and in Selective startup with "Load system services" and "Load startup items"
unchecked. The "Group Policy Client" service starts in the Diagnostic startup
and in Selective startup modes with "Load system services" and "Load startup
items" unchecked. Its imposible to stop the "Group Policy Client" service or
disable it.
I installed Debugging Tools for Windows x64 from
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...g/default.mspx and then opened
Process Explorer, Options, Configure Symbols. Filled
C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)\dbghelp.dll
srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
in that dialog box.

Stack for thread 3132:
48% CPU usage
ntoskrnl.exe!KiSwapContext+0x7f
ntoskrnl.exe!KiInitialPCR+0x7f0
ntdll.dll!ZwClose+0xa
kernel32.dll!CloseHandle+0x3e
SHLWAPI.dll!CFileStream::Release+0x66
SHELL32.dll!CShellLink::_LoadFromFile+0x175
SHELL32.dll!CShellLink::Load+0x2d
SHELL32.dll!_AndLoadFromFile+0x48
SHELL32.dll!SHCoCreateInstanceAndLoadFromFile+0x52
SHELL32.dll!CFolderShortcut::_GetTargetPath+0x7c
SHELL32.dll!CFolderShortcut::_LoadShortcut+0x3d
SHELL32.dll!InitializeFileHandlerWithFile+0x7e
SHELL32.dll!CFileSysItemString::HandlerCreateInsta nce+0x1cf
SHELL32.dll!CFileSysItemString::LoadHandler+0xcb
SHELL32.dll!CFSFolder::_BindHandler+0x1c4
SHELL32.dll!CFSFolder::GetUIObjectOf+0x2a
SHELL32.dll!CRegFolder::GetUIObjectOf+0xe7
SHDOCVW.dll!SHGetNavigateTarget+0x83
SHDOCVW.dll!GetLinkInfoHelper+0x98
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscIconTask::_Extract+0xfa
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscOverlayTask::InternalResumeRT+0x3b
SHDOCVW.dll!CRunnableTask::Run+0xd0
BROWSEUI.dll!CShellTaskThread::ThreadProc+0x2c7
BROWSEUI.dll!CShellTaskThread::s_ThreadProc+0x33
SHLWAPI.dll!ExecuteWorkItemThreadProc+0xf
ntdll.dll!RtlpTpWorkCallback+0xf2
ntdll.dll!TppWorkerThread+0x3d6
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d

Stack for thread 2160:
45% CPU usage
ntoskrnl.exe!KiSwapContext+0x7f
USER32.dll!ZwUserGetProp+0xa
USER32.dll!GetPropW+0x46
comctl32.dll!MasterSubclassProc+0x48
USER32.dll!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x1ad
USER32.dll!SendMessageWorker+0x64a
USER32.dll!SendMessageW+0x5b
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscTree::_CacheParentShellFolder+0x45
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscTree::_ShellItemForTreeItem+0x24
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscTree::_OnCDNotify+0xc9
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscTree::_OnNotify+0x556
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscTree::OnWinEvent+0x75
SHELL32.dll!CProperTreeHost::OnMessage+0xc4
SHELL32.dll!DirectUI::HWNDHost::_CtrlWndProc+0xa1
DUser.dll!WndBridge::RawWndProc+0x9a
USER32.dll!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x1ad
USER32.dll!SendMessageWorker+0x64a
USER32.dll!SendMessageW+0x5b
comctl32.dll!CCSendNotify+0xf93
comctl32.dll!TV_DrawItem+0x396
comctl32.dll!TV_DrawTree+0x1fd
comctl32.dll!TV_Paint+0x1d9
comctl32.dll!TV_WndProc+0x98c
USER32.dll!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x1ad
USER32.dll!CallWindowProcAorW+0xdb
USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0x18
comctl32.dll!CallOriginalWndProc+0x1d
comctl32.dll!CallNextSubclassProc+0x8d
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x7c
SHDOCVW.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x56
SHDOCVW.dll!CNotifySubclassWndProc::s_SubclassWndP roc+0xeb
comctl32.dll!CallNextSubclassProc+0x8d
comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x7c
SHDOCVW.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x56
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscTree::_SubClassTreeWndProc+0x3e9
SHDOCVW.dll!CNscTree::s_SubClassTreeWndProc+0x5a
comctl32.dll!CallNextSubclassProc+0x8d
comctl32.dll!MasterSubclassProc+0xe1
USER32.dll!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x1ad
USER32.dll!DispatchClientMessage+0xc3
USER32.dll!_fnDWORD+0x2d
ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcherContinue
USER32.dll!ZwUserDispatchMessage+0xa
USER32.dll!DispatchMessageWorker+0x52d
BROWSEUI.dll!CBrowserFrame::FrameMessagePump+0x26d
BROWSEUI.dll!BrowserNewThreadProc+0xb4
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d

Previously, Stack for thread 3424:
50% CPU usage
ntoskrnl.exe!KiSwapContext+0x7f
ntoskrnl.exe!KiSwapThread+0x13a
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x2cb
ntoskrnl.exe!KiSuspendThread+0x29
ntoskrnl.exe!KiDeliverApc+0x2d7
ntoskrnl.exe!KiCheckForKernelApcDelivery+0x25
ntoskrnl.exe!CmpParseKey+0xb3e
ntoskrnl.exe!ObpLookupObjectName+0x593
ntoskrnl.exe!ObOpenObjectByName+0x2f2
ntoskrnl.exe!CmOpenKey+0x25d
ntoskrnl.exe!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
ntdll.dll!ZwOpenKey+0xa
ADVAPI32.dll!BaseRegOpenClassKeyFromLocation+0x1cc
ADVAPI32.dll!BaseRegOpenClassKey+0xc1
ADVAPI32.dll!LocalBaseRegOpenKey+0x17a
ADVAPI32.dll!RegOpenKeyExInternalW+0x1f2
ADVAPI32.dll!RegOpenKeyExW+0x19
SHLWAPI.dll!SHRegGetCLSIDKey+0x103
SHELL32.dll!SHOpenShellFolderKey+0x38
SHELL32.dll!CFSFolder::GetAttributesOf+0x479
SHELL32.dll!CRegFolder::_AttributesOf+0x74
SHELL32.dll!CRegFolder::GetAttributesOf+0xe6
SHDOCVW.dll!SHGetNavigateTarget+0x4d
"Daniel MartÃ*n [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> identify
> >> which thread in Explorer.exe is consuming 90-100% of CPU. If you
> >> double-click Explorer.exe, go to the Thread tab and double-click the
> >> thread
> >> that is consuming the most CPU, you'll see its stack, and probably one of
> >> the functions in that stack will be located in a codec file (.ax file).
> >>
> >> In some cases, after disabling the codec the problem will reproduce again
> >> with another codec involved. In that case, the probably culprit is a
> >> damaged
> >> video file.
> >>
> >> Of course, it's possible that the problem is NOT caused by a codec or a
> >> damaged video file.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards/Saludos,
> >> Daniel MartÃ*n
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience

Dima

Re: What codec makes explorer.exe load CPU?
Dear Daniel,
Checking "Safe boot" (with any of its sub-options) on "Boot" tab with
"Normal startup" on "General" tab in msconfig prevents explorer.exe CPU usage!
There is no the left pannel (folder tree) in Window explorer in this mode.
Minimizing the Window explorer window stops the explorer.exe CPU usage in
the "Normal startup" mode too.
What is causing the problem then?
Regards,
Dima