Why does DEP keep closing Windows Photo Gallery

waters27863

Why does DEP keep closing Windows Photo Gallery
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) keeps closing the Windows Photo Gallery that
came with my version of Vista. This normally occurs when I try to add a file
from a camera or scanner by clicking file, import from scanner or camera.
When the window pops up with the different locations for import, I
immediately get an error stating that Windows Photo Gallery has stopped
working. As soon as I close that window, a message pops up from the toolbar
stating that DEP closed the program. I have clicked on the option for
Windows to check for a solution, but there never is one. Seems strange that
a program that shipped with the OS is blocked by a safety feature in the OS.
Can't that be patched?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Why does DEP keep closing Windows Photo Gallery

Do you get any information in the Problem Reports and Solutions tool when
this happens? This should indicate that something is using memory badly.
Windows itself should be fine here - there were several million tests run -
but there are a lot of third parties that aren't DEP aware yet -- I would
strongly suspect that one of those is doing bad things. But any data you
have here may further narrow the problem down, so that's the first great
step forward. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.