Media Player and MP3

lforbes

Media Player and MP3
I am pulling my hair out with Media Player on Vista and its annoying "wma"
format. I have two MP3 players and neither will recognize wma songs. I am
trying to get my CD's ripped so I can put them on my players.

If I rip my CD's it rips in WMA even though MP3 is set as the default
setting. I can get it to do mp3 but I have to stop it, select MP3 from the
list again and then it will work.

Also when I sync to my Motorolla phone mp3 or my regular mp3 it sync's in
WMA??? I have no idea why? The files in my library are ALL mp3's. I have
quite a few that I ripped at a higher bit rate and my mp3 phone will only
accept 192. I have set to convert to the 192 bit and it does but in WMA
format which my phone won't read.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any other free software that will do
this? I could go with iTunes but I am not sure if that will work with
non-iPod players.

We have iTunes with my husband's iPod on XP and it works GREAT and sync's
and Rips All in MP3 format.
lforbes

RE: Media Player and MP3
Downloaded iTunes. It does the conversion down to 192 which Media Player
won't do. Like the interface as well. Too bad it won't sync with my phone.
Guess I have to buy an iPod too.

"lforbes" wrote:

> I am pulling my hair out with Media Player on Vista and its annoying "wma"
> format. I have two MP3 players and neither will recognize wma songs. I am
> trying to get my CD's ripped so I can put them on my players.
>
> If I rip my CD's it rips in WMA even though MP3 is set as the default
> setting. I can get it to do mp3 but I have to stop it, select MP3 from the
> list again and then it will work.
>
> Also when I sync to my Motorolla phone mp3 or my regular mp3 it sync's in
> WMA??? I have no idea why? The files in my library are ALL mp3's. I have
> quite a few that I ripped at a higher bit rate and my mp3 phone will only
> accept 192. I have set to convert to the 192 bit and it does but in WMA
> format which my phone won't read.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or any other free software that will do
> this? I could go with iTunes but I am not sure if that will work with
> non-iPod players.
>
> We have iTunes with my husband's iPod on XP and it works GREAT and sync's
> and Rips All in MP3 format.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media Player and MP3

If you set it to MP3, exit WMP, and restart - is it then set to MP3 still?
If it isn't, either your registry is corrupt or ... your registry is
corrupt. If that's the case, you should still be able to hardwire it to rip
to MP3. I believe you would need to edit--
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\P references
if things are really corrupt.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"lforbes" <lforbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am pulling my hair out with Media Player on Vista and its annoying "wma"
> format. I have two MP3 players and neither will recognize wma songs. I am
> trying to get my CD's ripped so I can put them on my players.
>
> If I rip my CD's it rips in WMA even though MP3 is set as the default
> setting. I can get it to do mp3 but I have to stop it, select MP3 from the
> list again and then it will work.
>
> Also when I sync to my Motorolla phone mp3 or my regular mp3 it sync's in
> WMA??? I have no idea why? The files in my library are ALL mp3's. I have
> quite a few that I ripped at a higher bit rate and my mp3 phone will only
> accept 192. I have set to convert to the 192 bit and it does but in WMA
> format which my phone won't read.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or any other free software that will do
> this? I could go with iTunes but I am not sure if that will work with
> non-iPod players.
>
> We have iTunes with my husband's iPod on XP and it works GREAT and sync's
> and Rips All in MP3 format.

lforbes

Re: Media Player and MP3
My settings are set to MP3 and the setting is there. However, the first rip
is still in Wma format and the I have to go back and reset it to mp3.

I am just using iTunes instead.

cheers,
Lara