Vista may get me fired

Keith

Vista may get me fired
I got my company to spring for the computer of my dreams but Vista has turned
it into a nightmare. I cannot organize my thousands of photos as there is no
way to easily move pictures to another file. You can drag and copy which is
useless as that leaves the pictures in both places. Gateway refused to send
me XP so I could get rid of this virus they call an operating system which
has cost me an extra thousand dollars in finding compatible software. There
really should be a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for introducing
this disgrace and all computer companies who recommend it for their
computers. Is Microsoft going to offer fixes for all the shortcomings and
glitches? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Was always a loyal PC person but thanks to Vista, now I understand that the
commercials aren't just good comedy. Next time, MAC!
Adam Albright

Re: Vista may get me fired
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:40:01 -0700, Keith
<Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I got my company to spring for the computer of my dreams but Vista has turned
>it into a nightmare. I cannot organize my thousands of photos as there is no
>way to easily move pictures to another file. You can drag and copy which is
>useless as that leaves the pictures in both places. Gateway refused to send
>me XP so I could get rid of this virus they call an operating system which
>has cost me an extra thousand dollars in finding compatible software. There
>really should be a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for introducing
>this disgrace and all computer companies who recommend it for their
>computers. Is Microsoft going to offer fixes for all the shortcomings and
>glitches? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
>
>Was always a loyal PC person but thanks to Vista, now I understand that the
>commercials aren't just good comedy. Next time, MAC!

You don't drag and copy, you drag and move. This literally MOVES files
from one folder to another or several. Don't say it isn't easy, I have
over one million files on my system spread over many thousands of
folders.

Vista has nice new features that make these tasks WAY easier and
better then in XP. First order of business, set up EMPTY folders as
you wish them to sort your photos.

Now select the files either alone or in groups and while holding down
your RIGHT mouse button drag and DROP them on any of the new folder
you just created. If you're afraid you going to drop them in the wrong
folder just select them, then click on the EDIT button on the men bar,
then click on the folder you want them moved to and select paste.

I'll assume you know how to select a range of images at once. Vista
unlike XP will show you if you try to move duplicate files names to a
folder where they already exist and give you the option to replace or
ignore.

Now the real fun begins. You can add almost 200 different tags to your
photos to describe them anyway you want. To see how, right click on
any folder that has photos in the blank space to the far right. Now
click on Sort, then more and select all the options you want. You many
need to move some items up the list so they show when you sort. Now
you can sort each folder any way you like by just clicking on the
column header. Fired? You may get a promotion. ;-)

Paul Smith

Re: Vista may get me fired
"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got my company to spring for the computer of my dreams but Vista has
>turned
> it into a nightmare. I cannot organize my thousands of photos as there is
> no
> way to easily move pictures to another file. You can drag and copy which
> is
> useless as that leaves the pictures in both places. Gateway refused to
> send
> me XP so I could get rid of this virus they call an operating system which
> has cost me an extra thousand dollars in finding compatible software.
> There
> really should be a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for introducing
> this disgrace and all computer companies who recommend it for their
> computers.

Moving and copying files around is the *same as Windows XP*. By default
dragging a file to the same drive will move it, dragging it to a different
drive will copy it. You can override that by cutting or copying and then
pasting.

> Is Microsoft going to offer fixes for all the shortcomings and
> glitches? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Microsoft won't be fixing that, as it is the proper behavior.

> Was always a loyal PC person but thanks to Vista, now I understand that
> the
> commercials aren't just good comedy. Next time, MAC!

I'll assume you mean "Mac" not "MAC" (you've already got at least one MAC)
An Apple Macintosh is a PC.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Michael A. Covington

Re: Vista may get me fired

"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got my company to spring for the computer of my dreams but Vista has
>turned
> it into a nightmare. I cannot organize my thousands of photos as there is
> no
> way to easily move pictures to another file. You can drag and copy which
> is
> useless as that leaves the pictures in both places.

When you drag something and it ends up in both places, that's because the
two places are on different disk drives. This has been normal behavior
since Windows 95. To move them, Select, Cut (Ctrl-X), and Paste (Ctrl-V).

If that's not it, check whether you have delete permissions on the files
you're trying to delete. This has been a factor since (I think) DOS 3.

> Gateway refused to send
> me XP so I could get rid of this virus they call an operating system which
> has cost me an extra thousand dollars in finding compatible software.
> There
> really should be a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for introducing
> this disgrace and all computer companies who recommend it for their
> computers. Is Microsoft going to offer fixes for all the shortcomings and
> glitches? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You have not pointed out any problem with Vista.

Michael A. Covington

Re: Vista may get me fired
> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I got my company to spring for the computer of my dreams but Vista has
>>turned
>> it into a nightmare. I cannot organize my thousands of photos as there
>> is no
>> way to easily move pictures to another file. You can drag and copy which
>> is
>> useless as that leaves the pictures in both places.

> When you drag something and it ends up in both places, that's because the
> two places are on different disk drives. This has been normal behavior
> since Windows 95. To move them, Select, Cut (Ctrl-X), and Paste (Ctrl-V).

.... etc. ...

>> Gateway refused to send
>> me XP so I could get rid of this virus they call an operating system
>> which
>> has cost me an extra thousand dollars in finding compatible software.

Didn't you buy Vista voluntarily? You can buy XP too. Many dealers still
have it.

And can you tell me what software you found incompatible with Vista? I do a
lot of graphics myself and have not had any trouble with Adobe products, nor
various other things, and I even got my antiquated Nikon scanner working.

Software doesn't have to say "Vista" in the name in order to work under
Vista. Even device drivers to not have to be "for Vista" to work; most XP
device drivers work just fine.

>> There
>> really should be a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for introducing
>> this disgrace and all computer companies who recommend it for their
>> computers. Is Microsoft going to offer fixes for all the shortcomings
>> and
>> glitches? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

> You have not pointed out any problem with Vista.

Also, do you sue McDonald's when you order a hamburger with ketchup, get a
hamburger with ketchup, and then decide you would rather not have had
ketchup?