"Failure to Burn" Recorded TV

Jukie

"Failure to Burn" Recorded TV
I'm having trouble burning to DVD a particular show. I have burned this show
to DVD in the past and am still able to burn other shows. But everytime I go
to burn this show, it says "failure to burn," and there's no message on what
went wrong or what I can do to correct it. I don't believe I've changed any
settings, but I have no idea what may be causing this. I have Vista Home
Premium. Thanks.
zachd [MSFT]

Re: "Failure to Burn" Recorded TV

What file format is it? Offhand, it's going to be generally easier to burn
WMV files from DVD Maker, so a great simple step here is to use Movie Maker
to convert the content to WMV first, and *then* burn that WMV using Movie
Maker.

This is largely assuming you're using some form of AVI.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Jukie" <Jukie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble burning to DVD a particular show. I have burned this
> show
> to DVD in the past and am still able to burn other shows. But everytime I
> go
> to burn this show, it says "failure to burn," and there's no message on
> what
> went wrong or what I can do to correct it. I don't believe I've changed
> any
> settings, but I have no idea what may be causing this. I have Vista Home
> Premium. Thanks.

Jukie

Re: "Failure to Burn" Recorded TV
It's a dvr-ms file. I'm unable to burn these in Movie Maker. How do I
convert them to WMV files? And, unfortunately, I don't don't know what AVI
is, so I don't know if I"m using some form of this.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What file format is it? Offhand, it's going to be generally easier to burn
> WMV files from DVD Maker, so a great simple step here is to use Movie Maker
> to convert the content to WMV first, and *then* burn that WMV using Movie
> Maker.
>
> This is largely assuming you're using some form of AVI.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Jukie" <Jukie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having trouble burning to DVD a particular show. I have burned this
> > show
> > to DVD in the past and am still able to burn other shows. But everytime I
> > go
> > to burn this show, it says "failure to burn," and there's no message on
> > what
> > went wrong or what I can do to correct it. I don't believe I've changed
> > any
> > settings, but I have no idea what may be causing this. I have Vista Home
> > Premium. Thanks.

Adam Albright

Re: "Failure to Burn" Recorded TV
On Wed, 2 May 2007 05:31:02 -0700, Jukie
<Jukie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It's a dvr-ms file. I'm unable to burn these in Movie Maker. How do I
>convert them to WMV files? And, unfortunately, I don't don't know what AVI
>is, so I don't know if I"m using some form of this.

A AVI file (Audio Video Interleafed) is often just a container and may
contain all kinds of true file types inside. This is one of the
reasons Media Player can't play so many AVI files. It's too dumb to
know what's inside the container or AVI wrapper. First read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVR-MS

Now you know the real reason you can't burn it normally. It has
Digital rights Management embedded in it to "protect" it because
Microsoft caved into the movie industry and willingly and by design is
kissing Hollywood ass big time.

Did you know that if you read the Vista license carefully you agreed
to let Hollywood dicate to Micosoft what media it will play and even
gave them the right to disable playing certain media on YOUR computer
of similar types if Hollywood don't like it.

Read this eye opening blistering exposure of what Microsoft and
Hollywoood are really up to:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Now read this:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=900 5047

Worse from a technical standpoint a dvr-ms file is a extension of the
mpeg file type. All mpeg files are compressed to varying degrees. If
you follow the lame advice given below, then you'll first convert from
a MPEG to a WMV, compression on top of more compression, then to make
a DVD, back again to another form of MPEG that will introduce still
more file compression with each step further reducing the quality of
the video. Unless you're making a special WMV style DVD which some set
top DVD players can now understand all this extra compression is a
half-ass way to proceed.

>"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> What file format is it? Offhand, it's going to be generally easier to burn
>> WMV files from DVD Maker, so a great simple step here is to use Movie Maker
>> to convert the content to WMV first, and *then* burn that WMV using Movie
>> Maker.
>>
>> This is largely assuming you're using some form of AVI.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Jukie" <Jukie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm having trouble burning to DVD a particular show. I have burned this
>> > show
>> > to DVD in the past and am still able to burn other shows. But everytime I
>> > go
>> > to burn this show, it says "failure to burn," and there's no message on
>> > what
>> > went wrong or what I can do to correct it. I don't believe I've changed
>> > any
>> > settings, but I have no idea what may be causing this. I have Vista Home
>> > Premium. Thanks.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: "Failure to Burn" Recorded TV

That's good information, thanks.

DVR-MS is MPEG2 within the WMV file format.

You said this particular show is troublesome - is it *only* that show? No
other show? That would imply a potential file corruption unique to that
file, since the rest of the playback/burn system would be loosely validated
through your experience with the other files...

Does the troublesome file still play back correctly... ?

Do you get any further error codes or error information here?