No DVD playback with WMP in Home Basic

sntholiday

No DVD playback with WMP in Home Basic
I have done a number of searches on this subject, but the only resolution is
to download the AVS Media free DVD player. Isn't there a way to play
commerical
DVDs in WMP11 for Vista Home Basic. There must be a way. I am starting to
think I should have gone with a MAC.
zachd [MSFT]

Re: No DVD playback with WMP in Home Basic

What video card do you have?
What MPEG2/DVD codec are you using?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"sntholiday" <sntholiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have done a number of searches on this subject, but the only resolution
>is
> to download the AVS Media free DVD player. Isn't there a way to play
> commerical
> DVDs in WMP11 for Vista Home Basic. There must be a way. I am starting to
> think I should have gone with a MAC.

sntholiday

Re: No DVD playback with WMP in Home Basic
The video is integrated into the motherboard, ATI Radeon 200. The codec is
what I'm trying to get, is there one that will work with WMP11? VLC works
fine.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What video card do you have?
> What MPEG2/DVD codec are you using?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "sntholiday" <sntholiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have done a number of searches on this subject, but the only resolution
> >is
> > to download the AVS Media free DVD player. Isn't there a way to play
> > commerical
> > DVDs in WMP11 for Vista Home Basic. There must be a way. I am starting to
> > think I should have gone with a MAC.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: No DVD playback with WMP in Home Basic

http://microsoft.com/windows/windows...spx#DVDDecoder
has the list of DVD decoders that should work fine in WMP.

--
> The video is integrated into the motherboard, ATI Radeon 200. The codec is
> what I'm trying to get, is there one that will work with WMP11? VLC works
> fine.
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> What video card do you have?
>> What MPEG2/DVD codec are you using?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "sntholiday" <sntholiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have done a number of searches on this subject, but the only
>> >resolution
>> >is
>> > to download the AVS Media free DVD player. Isn't there a way to play
>> > commerical
>> > DVDs in WMP11 for Vista Home Basic. There must be a way. I am starting
>> > think I should have gone with a MAC.

Adam Albright

Re: No DVD playback with WMP in Home Basic
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:34:37 -0700, "zachd [MSFT]"
<zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>http://microsoft.com/windows/windows...spx#DVDDecoder
>has the list of DVD decoders that should work fine in WMP.
>
>--
>Speaking for myself only.
>See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.

If you are "speaking for yourself only", why do you keep dodging the
question?

WHY in your opinion, which you claim is yours, and not that of some
agent of Microsoft acting in their behalf, do you think all versions
of Vista don't come with the necessary codecs to play common file
types?

Let me help, just pick:

a. Microsoft is run by greedy *******s and they're too cheap to pay
the necessary license fees.

b. Microsoft don't give a damn, it's all about hype and profit.

c. Both.

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> If you are "speaking for yourself only", why do you keep dodging the
> question?

This is a licensing question. That involves legal. No, I'm not touching
that with a ten thousand foot pole. I've been generally advised to try to
steer clear of licensing questions as much as humanly possible.

I'm certain that you could probably investigate target markets and do
research with IT admins and MPEG-LA and answer your own question here.

If you want to ask technical questions, I can perhaps help if I'm lucky. It
ends there, sorry. =)

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.

Adam Albright

Re: No DVD playback with WMP in Home Basic
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:11:03 -0700, "zachd [MSFT]"
<zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>news:1gad331spk3980323m334pcb9ocn1j65ig@4ax.com.. .
>> If you are "speaking for yourself only", why do you keep dodging the
>> question?

>This is a licensing question. That involves legal. No, I'm not touching
>that with a ten thousand foot pole. I've been generally advised to try to
>steer clear of licensing questions as much as humanly possible.

I can understand why. Still my point stands. There's no reason other
than some mornic licensing issue that causes tens of millions of
Microsoft's customers grief, and the best answer you can come up is
you won't touch that topic with a ten foot pole.

>I'm certain that you could probably investigate target markets and do
>research with IT admins and MPEG-LA and answer your own question here.
>
>If you want to ask technical questions, I can perhaps help if I'm lucky. It
>ends there, sorry. =)
>
>-Zach

So you're basically agreeing that Microsoft is too cheap to pay the
licensing fee, yet Microsoft expects customers to come up with $200
for a Vista business upgrade licensefor. At best my guess is the
license fee for MPEG-2 would be a few bucks per copy. Pray tell, I
guess poor Microsoft can't afford it, like if they wouldn't just pass
the cost on to the customer anyway.