wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden

=?Utf-8?B?RGV0bGV2?=

wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
Hi,
I've read, that WMM hast some difficulties with imprting some special video
file types - bu that is not *my* problem.
I have the problem, that at a sudden WMM on Vista Home Premium on a Dell
Inspiron 6400 does no longer imprt MPG-videos, even those which are included
in WMM as demo material. Media player though accepts them.
The error message is "FILENNAME could not be imported. Unknown error".
Once again: this happened at a sudden; I was able to import recorded TV
material or the included demo files before, but I have no idea what might
have caused the change in the meantime.
Any hint, help or suggestions welcome and mostly appreciated.
Regards from Germany
Detlev
=?Utf-8?B?RGV0bGV2?=

RE: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've installed some other software for video
cutting purposes in between, but uninstalled it again.
Regards
Detlev
Cal Bear '66

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
Sometimes uninstalling software does not work.

Try a System Restore to the point just before you installed
the software.

"Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F13A5D5-D549-4CBA-B3CA-84039F835D9A@microsoft.com...

> Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've installed some other software for video
> cutting purposes in between, but uninstalled it again.
> Regards
> Detlev

=?Utf-8?B?RGV0bGV2?=

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
Hi Cal,
thanks for your reply.
I'im not quite shure if I should make a sytem restore, as I deleted some of
the files in the recovery partition due to a space overrun there.
(
Is there a way to re-install WMM ?
Could there be a codec damage and how could I mend that?

WMP accepts the MPG-files and plays them............. (guess I've wrote
that before).

Regards
Detlev

Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Sometimes uninstalling software does not work.
>
> Try a System Restore to the point just before you installed
> the software.
>

> "Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've installed some other software for

> video
> > cutting purposes in between, but uninstalled it again.
> > Regards
> > Detlev

Graham Hughes

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
System restore is a god send to problems like this. Always, but always make
a restore point before installing or un-installing anything at all.
Make sure you have plenty of space for system restore to keep a good number
of restore points.
WMM is part of windows, so to reinstall WMM is to reinstall windows.
WMP will use the codes differently to MM, so it's not much help if it works
I'm afraid.

I would use system restore.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Hi Cal,
> thanks for your reply.
> I'im not quite shure if I should make a sytem restore, as I deleted some
> of
> the files in the recovery partition due to a space overrun there.
> (
> Is there a way to re-install WMM ?
> Could there be a codec damage and how could I mend that?
>
> WMP accepts the MPG-files and plays them............. (guess I've wrote
> that before).
>
> Regards
> Detlev
>

> Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Sometimes uninstalling software does not work.
>>
>> Try a System Restore to the point just before you installed
>> the software.
>>

>> "Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've installed some other software for

>> video
>> > cutting purposes in between, but uninstalled it again.
>> > Regards
>> > Detlev

Cal Bear '66

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
I'm sorry, but I must totally agree with Graham, I've had similar problems
(Media center receiver service has stopped working...), and the ONLY way
to resolve the issue was to do a system restore, uninstalling the programs
did not work.

I believe your only other option is to do a complete Vista reinstall (to
my knowledge). It would be nice if it were possible to just reinstall
various components of Vista when problems like this occur, or if some
clean-up utility were provided to return a damaged component to a
pristine, functional state (maybe next version of Windows?).

"Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message news:uvzccEegHHA.2332@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> System restore is a god send to problems like this. Always, but always make
> a restore point before installing or un-installing anything at all.
> Make sure you have plenty of space for system restore to keep a good number
> of restore points.
> WMM is part of windows, so to reinstall WMM is to reinstall windows.
> WMP will use the codes differently to MM, so it's not much help if it works
> I'm afraid.
>
> I would use system restore.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Cal,
>> thanks for your reply.
>> I'im not quite shure if I should make a sytem restore, as I deleted some
>> of
>> the files in the recovery partition due to a space overrun there.
>> (
>> Is there a way to re-install WMM ?
>> Could there be a codec damage and how could I mend that?
>>
>> WMP accepts the MPG-files and plays them............. (guess I've wrote
>> that before).
>>
>> Regards
>> Detlev
>>

>> Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>>
>>> Sometimes uninstalling software does not work.
>>>
>>> Try a System Restore to the point just before you installed
>>> the software.
>>>

>>> "Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> video

=?Utf-8?B?RGV0bGV2?=

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
Hello Graham,
as the newest point for a restore is long after the time I've installed and
uninstalled that MAGIX software, there doesn't seem to be a chance to make a
proper repair of my operating system just from the recovery partition?
Should I use the Vista DVD (came with the DELL notebook) instead to
re-install Vista?
I'm new to this Vista stuff, just familiar with NT and W2K - those operating
sytems
seem to have been much easier to handle.

Would be great if replies from this discussion group would help me to find
the adequate decision......

Thanks in advance.
Detlev

Graham Hughes" wrote:

> System restore is a god send to problems like this. Always, but always make
> a restore point before installing or un-installing anything at all.
> Make sure you have plenty of space for system restore to keep a good number
> of restore points.
> WMM is part of windows, so to reinstall WMM is to reinstall windows.
> WMP will use the codes differently to MM, so it's not much help if it works
> I'm afraid.
>
> I would use system restore.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Cal,
> > thanks for your reply.
> > I'im not quite shure if I should make a sytem restore, as I deleted some
> > of
> > the files in the recovery partition due to a space overrun there.
> > (
> > Is there a way to re-install WMM ?
> > Could there be a codec damage and how could I mend that?
> >
> > WMP accepts the MPG-files and plays them............. (guess I've wrote
> > that before).
> >
> > Regards
> > Detlev
> >

> > Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Sometimes uninstalling software does not work.
> >>
> >> Try a System Restore to the point just before you installed
> >> the software.
> >>

> >> "Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> video

Cal Bear '66

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
Recovery partitions are usually partitions created by the manufacturer
to enable you to recover your system to a factory install condition:
the operating system and all pre-installed applications.

What and how did you delete items from it, usually it looks like
just one big file?

"Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsE520279-0660-44AF-8596-DF904F8E80E5@microsoft.com...
> Hello Graham,
> as the newest point for a restore is long after the time I've installed and
> uninstalled that MAGIX software, there doesn't seem to be a chance to make a
> proper repair of my operating system just from the recovery partition?
> Should I use the Vista DVD (came with the DELL notebook) instead to
> re-install Vista?
> I'm new to this Vista stuff, just familiar with NT and W2K - those operating
> sytems
> seem to have been much easier to handle.
>
> Would be great if replies from this discussion group would help me to find
> the adequate decision......
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Detlev
>

> Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> System restore is a god send to problems like this. Always, but always make
>> a restore point before installing or un-installing anything at all.
>> Make sure you have plenty of space for system restore to keep a good number
>> of restore points.
>> WMM is part of windows, so to reinstall WMM is to reinstall windows.
>> WMP will use the codes differently to MM, so it's not much help if it works
>> I'm afraid.
>>
>> I would use system restore.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Detlev" <Detlev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Cal,
>> > thanks for your reply.
>> > I'im not quite shure if I should make a sytem restore, as I deleted some
>> > of
>> > the files in the recovery partition due to a space overrun there.
>> > (
>> > Is there a way to re-install WMM ?
>> > Could there be a codec damage and how could I mend that?
>> >
>> > WMP accepts the MPG-files and plays them............. (guess I've wrote
>> > that before).
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Detlev

=?Utf-8?B?RGV0bGV2?=

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
Hi Cal,
there were several directories, including subdirectories with some large
zip-files.
I've deleted some subdirectories and some zip-files, so I re-gained some 4
GB out of nearly 10 (the recovery partion has a size of 10 GB, there was just
500 MB left and the system became slower and slower; therefore I thought....)
In the meantime I guess that I made a mistake.........
(
The remainder question is: how to repair the mistake and the operating
system (well, it' just the unability of WMM to import MPG files that annoyes
me - besides that everything runs just fine)
Regards
Detlev

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Recovery partitions are usually partitions created by the manufacturer
> to enable you to recover your system to a factory install condition:
> the operating system and all pre-installed applications.
>
> What and how did you delete items from it, usually it looks like
> just one big file?

Cal Bear '66

Re: wmm rejects to import mpg videos at a sudden
Did you create these files on that partition using Vista's File Backup?
Chances are, if you did not and if they came with the computer pre-installed
then they are for a complete factory reinstall.

Did you make, or receive, recovery CDs or DVDs?

You say you got the Vista disk as an upgrade from the manufacturer, right?
I'm not even sure you could do a Vista reinstall without first reinstalling from
the recovery partition and then using the Vista disk.

I think you should contact the manufacturer about this.

I, personally, get very antsy if everything isn't working properly, and would
start over. You just might want to go back to the latest System Restore
point that you do have.