DVD Maker Shuts Down Computer

=?Utf-8?B?YmFybDB3?=

DVD Maker Shuts Down Computer
Using Windows Ultimate, I have added an .avi from Windows Movie Maker to
Windows DVD Maker. I start the burn process, and approximately 50% through
the encoding phase, my laptop shuts down.

It was done this twice. It's a full power-off, not just sleeping.

If there are any suggestions, please reply.

Regards -

barl0w
Graham Hughes

Re: DVD Maker Shuts Down Computer
Heat issue? Encoding is quite a power intensive item.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"barl0w" <barl0w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows Ultimate, I have added an .avi from Windows Movie Maker to
> Windows DVD Maker. I start the burn process, and approximately 50% through
> the encoding phase, my laptop shuts down.
>
> It was done this twice. It's a full power-off, not just sleeping.
>
> If there are any suggestions, please reply.
>
> Regards -
>
> barl0w

=?Utf-8?B?YmFybDB3?=

Re: DVD Maker Shuts Down Computer
I wish that was the answer. I used Nero instead as a workaround, since I
experienced a complete shutdown 3 times in a row now.

Regards,

Scott

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Heat issue? Encoding is quite a power intensive item.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "barl0w" <barl0w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using Windows Ultimate, I have added an .avi from Windows Movie Maker to
> > Windows DVD Maker. I start the burn process, and approximately 50% through
> > the encoding phase, my laptop shuts down.
> >
> > It was done this twice. It's a full power-off, not just sleeping.
> >
> > If there are any suggestions, please reply.
> >
> > Regards -
> >
> > barl0w

=?Utf-8?B?SmFub3NjaCBVbG1lcg==?=

Re: DVD Maker Shuts Down Computer
Quite interesting problem, never heard of it - Does the PC really initiate a
shut down or does it switch off immediately?
To troubleshoot this, my further question would be: Does the event log offer
any information what happened when the system was shut down? Any Problems
listed in Problem Report?
Nero does actually cause much trouble on Vista Systems, the first Vista
Ready version as the recent one - it's not causing problems within Nero, but
for Movie Maker & DVD Maker, so it would be interesting what happens if Nero
is removed from the system.
I had to disabled alle Codecs & Filters installed by Nero since they caused
DVD Maker to work anymore.
Not an easy-to-fix problem - if you think it's a bug you can call MS support
for free :-)
Good luck

... and good night (In europe however)

"barl0w" wrote:

> I wish that was the answer. I used Nero instead as a workaround, since I
> experienced a complete shutdown 3 times in a row now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Heat issue? Encoding is quite a power intensive item.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.myvideoproblems.com
> >

> > "barl0w" <barl0w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Using Windows Ultimate, I have added an .avi from Windows Movie Maker to
> > > Windows DVD Maker. I start the burn process, and approximately 50% through
> > > the encoding phase, my laptop shuts down.
> > >
> > > It was done this twice. It's a full power-off, not just sleeping.
> > >
> > > If there are any suggestions, please reply.
> > >
> > > Regards -
> > >
> > > barl0w

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=

Re: DVD Maker Shuts Down Computer
dvd maker is a flawed and broken program. it works fine on a clean windows
install (which i have had to do about 5 times with vista), but the second you
install almost any other program, driver or codec the errors come in swarms.

"Janosch Ulmer" wrote:

> Quite interesting problem, never heard of it - Does the PC really initiate a
> shut down or does it switch off immediately?
> To troubleshoot this, my further question would be: Does the event log offer
> any information what happened when the system was shut down? Any Problems
> listed in Problem Report?
> Nero does actually cause much trouble on Vista Systems, the first Vista
> Ready version as the recent one - it's not causing problems within Nero, but
> for Movie Maker & DVD Maker, so it would be interesting what happens if Nero
> is removed from the system.
> I had to disabled alle Codecs & Filters installed by Nero since they caused
> DVD Maker to work anymore.
> Not an easy-to-fix problem - if you think it's a bug you can call MS support
> for free :-)
> Good luck
>
> .. and good night (In europe however)
>

> "barl0w" wrote:
>
> > I wish that was the answer. I used Nero instead as a workaround, since I
> > experienced a complete shutdown 3 times in a row now.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> > > Heat issue? Encoding is quite a power intensive item.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > www.myvideoproblems.com

zachd [MSFT]

Re: DVD Maker Shuts Down Computer

Could you be really specific? Exact details are usually the only great
forward path. Knowing exact details can be helpful to problem diagnosis and
resolution. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.