Windows media player won't start

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbA==?=

Windows media player won't start
About a month ago my windows media player on vista wouldn't start when I
click on it anywhere all I got was the loading circle for a second and
nothing. It had been working for about 3 weeks. I think it started playing up
when I had a problem with my updates. About that time a lot of my programs
wouldn't start and I thought it was because of the updates. But since I have
fixed the problem most of my programs started again but windows media player
didn't. How do I make it go again?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows media player won't start

What changed before it broke?

If you open cmd.exe with Administrator privileges and run "regsvr32.exe
wmp.dll", does WMP work then?

Some party/app out there is breaking/deregistering WMP. I don't think it's
SatelliteTVforPC here... there appears to be some other app doing something
very screwy here. I'm getting close to offering a bounty on that madness.
=P

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About a month ago my windows media player on vista wouldn't start when I
> click on it anywhere all I got was the loading circle for a second and
> nothing. It had been working for about 3 weeks. I think it started playing
> up
> when I had a problem with my updates. About that time a lot of my programs
> wouldn't start and I thought it was because of the updates. But since I
> have
> fixed the problem most of my programs started again but windows media
> player
> didn't. How do I make it go again?

Cody2156 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Windows media player won't start
This should work. It worked for me

1. Click Start, click Accessories, the right click on Command Prompt and choose "run as administrator", then type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then hit enter.

2. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit enter.

3. Now type exit and hit enter. Now try media player and it should work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody2156 For This Useful Post:

cmartin683 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows media player won't start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2156 View Post
This should work. It worked for me

1. Click Start, click Accessories, the right click on Command Prompt and choose "run as administrator", then type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then hit enter.

2. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit enter.

3. Now type exit and hit enter. Now try media player and it should work.
Cody, you're a genius. The regsvr commands did the trick. The customer had just gotten the laptop back, Vista, and all of a sudden WMPlayer wouldn't start. Thanks!!!

Cody2156 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Windows media player won't start
Your welcome but i cant really take credit for this because i got this solution from another forum. Glad I could help though.

djraz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows media player won't start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2156 View Post
This should work. It worked for me

1. Click Start, click Accessories, the right click on Command Prompt and choose "run as administrator", then type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then hit enter.

2. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit enter.

3. Now type exit and hit enter. Now try media player and it should work.
worked perfect for me thanks mate

adamemmott is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows media player won't start
Thats still not worked for me, anyone have any other ideas???

TrudyNC is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Windows media player won't start
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamemmott View Post
Thats still not worked for me, anyone have any other ideas???
I know this is a way late response, but I'm just getting over the frustration of this problem and thought I'd add this alternative solution just in case some new folks run into it.

The issue comes from your computer somehow managing to open more than one instance of the media player. The program only allows one instance at a time so when you try to access it at a later date, it won't function. Yeah, I know - for a computer, you'd think it would be a tad smarter!

Anyway - this worked for me, hope it works for you:

Get into your Task Manager either by pressing Ctrl/Shift/Esc or Ctrl/Alt/Del then click on the "processes" tab, scroll down to wmplayer.exe, highlight it and click on the "End Process" tab.

This should reset your media player.

~TrudyNC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrudyNC For This Useful Post:

vinyldog is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows media player won't start
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyNC View Post
I know this is a way late response, but I'm just getting over the frustration of this problem and thought I'd add this alternative solution just in case some new folks run into it.

The issue comes from your computer somehow managing to open more than one instance of the media player. The program only allows one instance at a time so when you try to access it at a later date, it won't function. Yeah, I know - for a computer, you'd think it would be a tad smarter!

Anyway - this worked for me, hope it works for you:

Get into your Task Manager either by pressing Ctrl/Shift/Esc or Ctrl/Alt/Del then click on the "processes" tab, scroll down to wmplayer.exe, highlight it and click on the "End Process" tab.

This should reset your media player.

~TrudyNC
Thanks Trudy your easy solution worked for me.

vanessa125 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows media player won't start