Use Vista Ultimate PC as a dual-tuner HDTV DVR

Gregg Hill

Use Vista Ultimate PC as a dual-tuner HDTV DVR
Hello!

I have been Googling for the past few days trying to find information about
how to use a Vista Ultimate PC as a DVR. Specifically, I want to make it a
dual-tuner over-the-air ATSC (DTV) DVR my ancient VCR.

So far, the only TV tuner card I have found that mentions the ability to
play back to a TV set is the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card, but it appears to
be a single-tuner NTSC card. I need a dual-tuner ATSC so that I can record
two DTV broadcasts over the air at the same time.

Either an internal card or USB device is fine.

Is anyone out there doing this with a dual-tuner card or USB that can play
back the recorded show to an HDTV?

Thank you!

Gregg

--

Apostrophes: when in doubt, leave them out! You will be correct more often
than not.

Its = Belonging to it. For example, "Look at the sky. Its color is blue."
It's = It is. For example, "It's hot today."
It's = It has. For example, "It's been nice talking to you."
Its' = completely incorrect usage. Stop it!

Curious

Re: Use Vista Ultimate PC as a dual-tuner HDTV DVR
Get the following 2250 card:

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html

The tuner card does not card where you play the programs that is controlled
by your graphics card.

"Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote in
message news:ej7IKKZiJHA.5124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hello!
>
> I have been Googling for the past few days trying to find information
> about
> how to use a Vista Ultimate PC as a DVR. Specifically, I want to make it a
> dual-tuner over-the-air ATSC (DTV) DVR my ancient VCR.
>
> So far, the only TV tuner card I have found that mentions the ability to
> play back to a TV set is the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card, but it appears
> be a single-tuner NTSC card. I need a dual-tuner ATSC so that I can record
> two DTV broadcasts over the air at the same time.
>
> Either an internal card or USB device is fine.
>
> Is anyone out there doing this with a dual-tuner card or USB that can play
> back the recorded show to an HDTV?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gregg
>

> --
>
> Apostrophes: when in doubt, leave them out! You will be correct more often
> than not.
>
> Its = Belonging to it. For example, "Look at the sky. Its color is blue."
> It's = It is. For example, "It's hot today."
> It's = It has. For example, "It's been nice talking to you."
> Its' = completely incorrect usage. Stop it!

Gregg Hill

Re: Use Vista Ultimate PC as a dual-tuner HDTV DVR
Late last night, I just about settled on that card plus their MediaMVP to
play back the recorded shows to an HDTV in another room via the network.

Thank you for the additional vote!

Gregg Hill

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Get the following 2250 card:
>
> http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html
>
> The tuner card does not card where you play the programs that is
> controlled by your graphics card.
>
> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
> in message news:ej7IKKZiJHA.5124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have been Googling for the past few days trying to find information
>> about
>> how to use a Vista Ultimate PC as a DVR. Specifically, I want to make it
>> dual-tuner over-the-air ATSC (DTV) DVR my ancient VCR.
>>
>> So far, the only TV tuner card I have found that mentions the ability to
>> play back to a TV set is the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card, but it appears
>> be a single-tuner NTSC card. I need a dual-tuner ATSC so that I can
>> record
>> two DTV broadcasts over the air at the same time.
>>
>> Either an internal card or USB device is fine.
>>
>> Is anyone out there doing this with a dual-tuner card or USB that can
>> play back the recorded show to an HDTV?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Gregg
>>

>> --
>>
>> Apostrophes: when in doubt, leave them out! You will be correct more
>> often
>> than not.
>>
>> Its = Belonging to it. For example, "Look at the sky. Its color is blue."
>> It's = It is. For example, "It's hot today."
>> It's = It has. For example, "It's been nice talking to you."
>> Its' = completely incorrect usage. Stop it!

Gregg Hill

Re: Use Vista Ultimate PC as a dual-tuner HDTV DVR
Do you have any recommendations for an "Extender for Windows Media Center"?
I am reviewing the products here
http://www.extenderforwindowsmediace.../products.html right now.

Gregg

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Get the following 2250 card:
>
> http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html
>
> The tuner card does not card where you play the programs that is
> controlled by your graphics card.
>
> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
> in message news:ej7IKKZiJHA.5124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have been Googling for the past few days trying to find information
>> about
>> how to use a Vista Ultimate PC as a DVR. Specifically, I want to make it
>> dual-tuner over-the-air ATSC (DTV) DVR my ancient VCR.
>>
>> So far, the only TV tuner card I have found that mentions the ability to
>> play back to a TV set is the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card, but it appears
>> be a single-tuner NTSC card. I need a dual-tuner ATSC so that I can
>> record
>> two DTV broadcasts over the air at the same time.
>>
>> Either an internal card or USB device is fine.
>>
>> Is anyone out there doing this with a dual-tuner card or USB that can
>> play back the recorded show to an HDTV?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Gregg
>>

>> --
>>
>> Apostrophes: when in doubt, leave them out! You will be correct more
>> often
>> than not.
>>
>> Its = Belonging to it. For example, "Look at the sky. Its color is blue."
>> It's = It is. For example, "It's hot today."
>> It's = It has. For example, "It's been nice talking to you."
>> Its' = completely incorrect usage. Stop it!

Curious

Re: Use Vista Ultimate PC as a dual-tuner HDTV DVR
Sorry I have never used an extender and have only limited knowledge about
them.

"Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote in
message news:erD1OJ2iJHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Do you have any recommendations for an "Extender for Windows Media
> Center"? I am reviewing the products here
> http://www.extenderforwindowsmediace.../products.html right now.
>
> Gregg
>

> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Get the following 2250 card:
>>
>> http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html
>>
>> The tuner card does not card where you play the programs that is
>> controlled by your graphics card.
>>
>> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
>> in message news:ej7IKKZiJHA.5124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I have been Googling for the past few days trying to find information
>>> about
>>> how to use a Vista Ultimate PC as a DVR. Specifically, I want to make it
>>> dual-tuner over-the-air ATSC (DTV) DVR my ancient VCR.
>>>
>>> So far, the only TV tuner card I have found that mentions the ability to
>>> play back to a TV set is the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card, but it
>>> appears to
>>> be a single-tuner NTSC card. I need a dual-tuner ATSC so that I can
>>> record
>>> two DTV broadcasts over the air at the same time.
>>>
>>> Either an internal card or USB device is fine.
>>>
>>> Is anyone out there doing this with a dual-tuner card or USB that can
>>> play back the recorded show to an HDTV?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Gregg
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Apostrophes: when in doubt, leave them out! You will be correct more
>>> often
>>> than not.
>>>
>>> Its = Belonging to it. For example, "Look at the sky. Its color is
>>> blue."
>>> It's = It is. For example, "It's hot today."
>>> It's = It has. For example, "It's been nice talking to you."
>>> Its' = completely incorrect usage. Stop it!

Gregg Hill

Re: Use Vista Ultimate PC as a dual-tuner HDTV DVR
No problem. Maybe someone else will jump in with their experience.

Gregg