My photo`s are pixelating

Pauline

My photo`s are pixelating
I hope I can find an answer to my problem

can anyone tell me why my photos pixelate when I zoom into them, they are
okay for a few zoom clicks, but then they begin to pixelate, the problem
seems to be the same on Photo shop, Picaso and my other programs, but its a
little bit better on Office Picture Manager (which I still have on a trial
basis) the same pictures were perfectly okay on my old computer and I could
zoom right into them without pixelation, my old computer is a far lower spec
than my Sony vio so I expected the photo facilities to be as good or better
on the Sony. The odd thing is that the photos look perfect when the screen
saver slide show enlarges them, no pixelation at all!

I`d really appreciate it if somone can help me withthis problem, I`m not
very computery so I don`t know where to start looking, I need to use the
photos for my artwork and its getting urgent Thank you so much X

Pauline X

TruthSquad@hope.com

Re: My photo`s are pixelating
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:54:08 -0800, Pauline
<Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I hope I can find an answer to my problem
>
>can anyone tell me why my photos pixelate when I zoom into them, they are
>okay for a few zoom clicks, but then they begin to pixelate, the problem
>seems to be the same on Photo shop, Picaso and my other programs, but its a
>little bit better on Office Picture Manager (which I still have on a trial
>basis) the same pictures were perfectly okay on my old computer and I could
>zoom right into them without pixelation, my old computer is a far lower spec
>than my Sony vio so I expected the photo facilities to be as good or better
>on the Sony. The odd thing is that the photos look perfect when the screen
>saver slide show enlarges them, no pixelation at all!
>
>I`d really appreciate it if somone can help me withthis problem, I`m not
>very computery so I don`t know where to start looking, I need to use the
>photos for my artwork and its getting urgent Thank you so much X
>
>Pauline X

Several things effect how much or if images show pixelation.

Is there a difference between your old computer and the current one's
graphic card resolution? If you're using a flat screen monitor it
should be set to it's native resolution. The higher the resolution the
sharper images will appear but they get smaller, meaning they take up
less space on the monitor screen. I suspect you're simply over
zooming. If the image is raster based, not vector based it will show
some pixelation if you zoom in far enough.

What happens when you print the image?

Just how much are you zooming in? The normal limit is to increase the
image no more than 150% max. Anything beyond that it is going to start
to breakup to the extend it's not acceptable.

Why are you zooming in? If just to work on the image and you return it
to it's actual size before you save it, not an issue. However if you
are attempting to increase the overall size of the image or crop to
take part of the image then make that the same size as the original
the increase no more than 150% "rule" applies.

If you must make the image larger, increase it several small steps,
first converting to some lossless file format. In order words if you
want to increase some image to 150% of it's original size, do it in
steps. The first would increase by 10%, save result, that end product
becomes the source of the next increase you increase by another 10%
and so on until you get it to the size you want. Photoshop excels at
this, more so than other applications.

Depending on file type any picture you over zoom in on unless it's a
high bitrate can start to get pixelated to varying degrees when you
view it on your monitor.

If you can upload a image to some public site where others can see it,
you might get more detailed answers.

Is the picture pixelated at all when viewed at 100% (no zooming)?
Curious

Re: My photo`s are pixelating
What is the resolution and size of your old display?
What is the resolution and size of your new display?

"Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I hope I can find an answer to my problem
>
> can anyone tell me why my photos pixelate when I zoom into them, they are
> okay for a few zoom clicks, but then they begin to pixelate, the problem
> seems to be the same on Photo shop, Picaso and my other programs, but its
> little bit better on Office Picture Manager (which I still have on a trial
> basis) the same pictures were perfectly okay on my old computer and I
> could
> zoom right into them without pixelation, my old computer is a far lower
> spec
> than my Sony vio so I expected the photo facilities to be as good or
> better
> on the Sony. The odd thing is that the photos look perfect when the screen
> saver slide show enlarges them, no pixelation at all!
>
> I`d really appreciate it if somone can help me withthis problem, I`m not
> very computery so I don`t know where to start looking, I need to use
> the
> photos for my artwork and its getting urgent Thank you so much X
>
> Pauline X

Pauline

Re: My photo`s are pixelating
Thanks for getting back to me

My graphics card on my old computer isn`t as high as on my sony vio lap top
and when I zoom into my picture by less than 100% it pixlates, this doesnt
happen on lager pics (2592 x 1944, dpi=720) it happenson the smaller pics
(640x481 dpi=230 and there abouts)

I`m zooming into my pics because I paint (amonst other subjects) pet
portraits, mainly dogs , and people send me their favorite photos to work
from, I need to zoom into the photo to get the minute details for the
portrait, I can`t ask people to send me bigger photos because on many
occassions the pet has passed on and sadley no more photos can be taken.

I don`t need the photo to stay zoomed into as a perminant thing, only while
I need to work on it for the artwork.

There`s no pixelation to the picture at all until I start to zoom to about
40 or 50 percent at a guess.

Many thanks
Pauline

"TruthSquad@hope.com" wrote:

> [...]

> the increase no more than 150% "rule" applies.
>
> If you must make the image larger, increase it several small steps,
> first converting to some lossless file format. In order words if you
> want to increase some image to 150% of it's original size, do it in
> steps. The first would increase by 10%, save result, that end product
> becomes the source of the next increase you increase by another 10%
> and so on until you get it to the size you want. Photoshop excels at
> this, more so than other applications.
>
> Depending on file type any picture you over zoom in on unless it's a
> high bitrate can start to get pixelated to varying degrees when you
> view it on your monitor.
>
> If you can upload a image to some public site where others can see it,
> you might get more detailed answers.
>
> Is the picture pixelated at all when viewed at 100% (no zooming)?

Resolution on old desk top computer = At Highest .... 1024 x 768 pixels
Colour = Highest (32
bit)
Resolution on new Sony VIO laptop = at Highest.....1440 x 900 pixels
Clours = Highest 32
bit
genericPAPmonitor on NVIDIA GeForce 8400MGT

Is that any help?

Thank you
Pauline X

"Curious" wrote:

> What is the resolution and size of your old display?
> What is the resolution and size of your new display?
>
> "Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I hope I can find an answer to my problem
> >
> > can anyone tell me why my photos pixelate when I zoom into them, they are
> > okay for a few zoom clicks, but then they begin to pixelate, the problem
> > seems to be the same on Photo shop, Picaso and my other programs, but its
> > little bit better on Office Picture Manager (which I still have on a trial
> > basis) the same pictures were perfectly okay on my old computer and I
> > could
> > zoom right into them without pixelation, my old computer is a far lower
> > spec
> > than my Sony vio so I expected the photo facilities to be as good or
> > better
> > on the Sony. The odd thing is that the photos look perfect when the screen
> > saver slide show enlarges them, no pixelation at all!
> >
> > I`d really appreciate it if somone can help me withthis problem, I`m not
> > very computery so I don`t know where to start looking, I need to use
> > the
> > photos for my artwork and its getting urgent Thank you so much X
> >
> > Pauline X

Curious

Re: My photo`s are pixel ting
The smaller the resolution of the Jpeg and
the higher resolution of the display and
the larger the physical size of the display
the more pixilation you will get as you zoom in as the number of pixels
being displayed is less and they are being spread across more screen pixels
and the physical size of the display is larger.

> Resolution on old desk top computer = At Highest .... 1024 x 768 pixels
> Colour = Highest
> (32
> bit)
> Resolution on new Sony VIO laptop = at Highest.....1440 x 900 pixels
> Clours = Highest 32
> bit
> genericPAPmonitor on NVIDIA GeForce 8400MGT
>
> Is that any help?
>
> Thank you
> Pauline X
>

> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> What is the resolution and size of your old display?
>> What is the resolution and size of your new display?
>>
>> "Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I hope I can find an answer to my problem
>> >
>> > can anyone tell me why my photos pixelate when I zoom into them, they
>> > are
>> > okay for a few zoom clicks, but then they begin to pixelate, the
>> > problem
>> > seems to be the same on Photo shop, Picaso and my other programs, but
>> > its
>> > little bit better on Office Picture Manager (which I still have on a
>> > trial
>> > basis) the same pictures were perfectly okay on my old computer and I
>> > could
>> > zoom right into them without pixelation, my old computer is a far lower
>> > spec
>> > than my Sony vio so I expected the photo facilities to be as good or
>> > better
>> > on the Sony. The odd thing is that the photos look perfect when the
>> > screen
>> > saver slide show enlarges them, no pixelation at all!
>> >
>> > I`d really appreciate it if somone can help me withthis problem, I`m
>> > not
>> > very computery so I don`t know where to start looking, I need to use
>> > the
>> > photos for my artwork and its getting urgent Thank you so much X
>> >
>> > Pauline X

TruthSquad@hope.com

Re: My photo`s are pixelating
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 04:44:01 -0800, Pauline
<Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Resolution on old desk top computer = At Highest .... 1024 x 768 pixels
> Colour = Highest (32
>bit)
>Resolution on new Sony VIO laptop = at Highest.....1440 x 900 pixels
> Clours = Highest 32
>bit
>genericPAPmonitor on NVIDIA GeForce 8400MGT
>
>Is that any help?

Apples and oranges!

You still haven't confirmed what your old and new computer's
resolution is CURRENTLY SET TOO, it doesn't matter what either is
capable of.

For a point of reference, a image who's size is 720x480 will appear
"larger" on a desktop running at 1024x768 as opposed to a laptop
that's running at 1440x900. Remember... the higher the resolution of
the monitor the less screen real estate any particular image takes up.
So as you go higher and higher in resolution your images look
"smaller" on screen, but they haven't changed their actual size.

To further muddy the water I'll wager you laptop's display dimensions
are smaller that the monitor you use for the desktop. So you have
multiple issues in trying to compare how the same image looks on a
lower resolution desktop compared to a higher resolution laptop that
on top of having a higher resolution also is being displayed on a
smaller physical screen.

Both these factors should make the images on the laptop look sharper
and therefore pixelate LESS, not more. Because you're reporting the
opposite, clearly something isn't the same.