wmv files quit

Kathy T in MI

wmv files quit
Hi Group,
I've been lurking in this and other MS groups for some time hoping to
find the answer to my problem, but so far, nothing has worked.
Using Vista64 with 4g ram, with latest version of Windows Mail. McAfee
Security Center. Latest versions of Windows Media Player and Real Player.
Have scanned and found no virus or spyware (using McAfee).
Problem: Often, but not always, attached .wmv files received in email
will start in Windows Media Player, or in Real Player if I chose that one.
In both programs the .wmv file will start with audio and video. About 1/4
into the movie, it stops playing completely. Screen goes black with a
message imposed "Play Again>". No other error message.
This has been going on for a few months and it _seems_ like it was
around the time that comcast changed its email program. I did notice that
wmv's coming from comcast emailers would almost always behave as described,
but now I notice that it also comes (seldom) from other ISPs. I have tried
saving the files in a folder and then opening them by double clicking them
in Explorer, but it makes no difference. I've also tried opening them
directly from WMP with same results. I've updated my video driver (Nvidea),
still no joy.
I have been able to google the various .wav files and download and play
them completely but of course I'm not sure where the emailed file originated
online.
Sure hope some kind soul can help me figure this out so I can play all
emailed movies.
Kathy T in MI

Curious

Re: wmv files quit
Certainly sounds like an unrecoverable error in the files you are receiving.
Maybe there is a maximum file size that webmail program will let anyone send
you. Contact the person sending you the file and find out how big they are
then you can compare the size against the size of the ones you save,

"Kathy T in MI" <kathytabb@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
> I've been lurking in this and other MS groups for some time hoping to
> find the answer to my problem, but so far, nothing has worked.
> Using Vista64 with 4g ram, with latest version of Windows Mail. McAfee
> Security Center. Latest versions of Windows Media Player and Real Player.
> Have scanned and found no virus or spyware (using McAfee).
> Problem: Often, but not always, attached .wmv files received in email
> will start in Windows Media Player, or in Real Player if I chose that one.
> In both programs the .wmv file will start with audio and video. About 1/4
> into the movie, it stops playing completely. Screen goes black with a
> message imposed "Play Again>". No other error message.
> This has been going on for a few months and it _seems_ like it was
> around the time that comcast changed its email program. I did notice that
> wmv's coming from comcast emailers would almost always behave as
> described, but now I notice that it also comes (seldom) from other ISPs.
> I have tried saving the files in a folder and then opening them by double
> clicking them in Explorer, but it makes no difference. I've also tried
> opening them directly from WMP with same results. I've updated my video
> driver (Nvidea), still no joy.
> I have been able to google the various .wav files and download and play
> them completely but of course I'm not sure where the emailed file
> originated online.
> Sure hope some kind soul can help me figure this out so I can play all
> emailed movies.
> Kathy T in MI

Clevo

Re: wmv files quit

Kathy T in MI;959405 Wrote:
> Hi Group,
> I've been lurking in this and other MS groups for some time hoping to
> find the answer to my problem, but so far, nothing has worked.
> Using Vista64 with 4g ram, with latest version of Windows Mail. McAfee
> Security Center. Latest versions of Windows Media Player and Real
> Player.
> Have scanned and found no virus or spyware (using McAfee).
> Problem: Often, but not always, attached .wmv files received in email
> will start in Windows Media Player, or in Real Player if I chose that
> one.
> In both programs the .wmv file will start with audio and video. About
> 1/4
> into the movie, it stops playing completely. Screen goes black with a
> message imposed "Play Again>". No other error message.
> This has been going on for a few months and it _seems_ like it was
> around the time that comcast changed its email program. I did notice
> that
> wmv's coming from comcast emailers would almost always behave as
> described,
> but now I notice that it also comes (seldom) from other ISPs. I have
> tried
> saving the files in a folder and then opening them by double clicking
> them
> in Explorer, but it makes no difference. I've also tried opening them
> directly from WMP with same results. I've updated my video driver
> (Nvidea),
> still no joy.
> I have been able to google the various .wav files and download and play
> them completely but of course I'm not sure where the emailed file
> originated
> online.
> Sure hope some kind soul can help me figure this out so I can play all
> emailed movies.
> Kathy T in MI

_______________________

You could try the latest directX (manual download) I believe the latest
is Nov08. Try that but they must be very short clips you are receiving
but after scanning them for viruses you might want to try turning off
the virus scanner whilst playing.

To me it sounds more like the file has become corrupted during the
e-mail process.

and of course.... if you don;t know who's sending you the video clips
don;t play them at all...even after scanning says it's virus free...

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
Kathy T in MI

Re: wmv files quit
Sounded like a good idea about maximum fle size limit in sender's
email....except it isn't that. My daughter normally emails me humongous
files without problems. She just tried to send me a 3 mg file and it was
"corrupt" which has never happened with her email before. Without an error
message to refer to, is there any way to determine what kind of
"unrecoverable error" it might be? One other thing, when I receive the
email and attached wmv file, the file size is always shown and it's always
quite big like 2-5 mg. It just stops playing early into the playback.
Kathy T in MI

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Certainly sounds like an unrecoverable error in the files you are
> receiving. Maybe there is a maximum file size that webmail program will
> let anyone send you. Contact the person sending you the file and find out
> how big they are then you can compare the size against the size of the
> ones you save,
>
> "Kathy T in MI" <kathytabb@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Group,
>> I've been lurking in this and other MS groups for some time hoping to
>> find the answer to my problem, but so far, nothing has worked.
>> Using Vista64 with 4g ram, with latest version of Windows Mail. McAfee
>> Security Center. Latest versions of Windows Media Player and Real
>> Player. Have scanned and found no virus or spyware (using McAfee).
>> Problem: Often, but not always, attached .wmv files received in email
>> will start in Windows Media Player, or in Real Player if I chose that
>> one. In both programs the .wmv file will start with audio and video.
>> About 1/4 into the movie, it stops playing completely. Screen goes black
>> with a message imposed "Play Again>". No other error message.
>> This has been going on for a few months and it _seems_ like it was
>> around the time that comcast changed its email program. I did notice
>> that wmv's coming from comcast emailers would almost always behave as
>> described, but now I notice that it also comes (seldom) from other ISPs.
>> I have tried saving the files in a folder and then opening them by double
>> clicking them in Explorer, but it makes no difference. I've also tried
>> opening them directly from WMP with same results. I've updated my video
>> driver (Nvidea), still no joy.
>> I have been able to google the various .wav files and download and
>> play them completely but of course I'm not sure where the emailed file
>> originated online.
>> Sure hope some kind soul can help me figure this out so I can play all
>> emailed movies.
>> Kathy T in MI

Kathy T in MI

Re: wmv files quit

"Clevo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Kathy T in MI;959405 Wrote:
>> Hi Group,
>> I've been lurking in this and other MS groups for some time hoping to
>> find the answer to my problem, but so far, nothing has worked.
>> Using Vista64 with 4g ram, with latest version of Windows Mail. McAfee
>> Security Center. Latest versions of Windows Media Player and Real
>> Player.
>> Have scanned and found no virus or spyware (using McAfee).
>> Problem: Often, but not always, attached .wmv files received in email
>> will start in Windows Media Player, or in Real Player if I chose that
>> one.
>> In both programs the .wmv file will start with audio and video. About
>> 1/4
>> into the movie, it stops playing completely. Screen goes black with a
>> message imposed "Play Again>". No other error message.
>> This has been going on for a few months and it _seems_ like it was
>> around the time that comcast changed its email program. I did notice
>> that
>> wmv's coming from comcast emailers would almost always behave as
>> described,
>> but now I notice that it also comes (seldom) from other ISPs. I have
>> tried
>> saving the files in a folder and then opening them by double clicking
>> them
>> in Explorer, but it makes no difference. I've also tried opening them
>> directly from WMP with same results. I've updated my video driver
>> (Nvidea),
>> still no joy.
>> I have been able to google the various .wav files and download and play
>> them completely but of course I'm not sure where the emailed file
>> originated
>> online.
>> Sure hope some kind soul can help me figure this out so I can play all
>> emailed movies.
>> Kathy T in MI

> _______________________
>
> You could try the latest directX (manual download) I believe the latest
> is Nov08. Try that but they must be very short clips you are receiving
> but after scanning them for viruses you might want to try turning off
> the virus scanner whilst playing.
>
> To me it sounds more like the file has become corrupted during the
> e-mail process.
>
> and of course.... if you don;t know who's sending you the video clips
> don;t play them at all...even after scanning says it's virus free...
>

> --
> Clevo

I did a search for any direct x files and was surprised with dozens and
dozens. How would I determine which one to download (from where?) and where
to place it once the d/l is done?

No worry on who I'm getting files from. I always know who they are from and
they are virus checked. Speaking of which, is it possible that McAfee is
somehow corrupting these wmv files when scanning for virus?

I am a fanatic about virus. Never had one, scan all the time and keep virus
patterns totally up-to-date. Never go to sites that are questionable (as
determined by McAfee Site Advisor).

Thanks for your ideas. Got any more (she asks with a smile)?

Kathy