Problem formatting a dvd

Saint

Problem formatting a dvd
Well I figured out half of the problem, I now have figured out how to format
a DVD-R Disk, I only have to insert the DVD and the Autoplay box comes up
and I pick burn files to disk using Windows and click on Show formatting
options and select Mastered Formatting option.

But can someone help me do the same with a DVD-R Disk,
I insert the DVD-R Disk and nothing happens, the Autoplay box does not come
up so I can't select the format option, I go into My Computer and click on
the E: DVD DRIVE and if I go and click on format it only gives me one option
to fast format the DVD disk but then it will format it (Live File Format)
and I want Mastered Format, How do I format the DVD +R Disk as Mastered ???
Sorry for all the stupid questions but I am new to using DVD'S and am
struggling to figure this out.
Steve

John Inzer

Re: Problem formatting a dvd
Saint wrote:
> Well I figured out half of the problem, I now have figured out how to
> format a DVD-R Disk, I only have to insert the DVD and the Autoplay
> box comes up and I pick burn files to disk using Windows and click on
> Show formatting options and select Mastered Formatting option.
>
> But can someone help me do the same with a DVD-R Disk,
> I insert the DVD-R Disk and nothing happens, the Autoplay box does
> not come up so I can't select the format option, I go into My
> Computer and click on the E: DVD DRIVE and if I go and click on
> format it only gives me one option to fast format the DVD disk but
> then it will format it (Live File Format) and I want Mastered Format,
> How do I format the DVD +R Disk as Mastered ??? Sorry for all the
> stupid questions but I am new to using DVD'S and am struggling to
> figure this out. Steve

==================================
Just burn the disk...formatting is not an
issue when using the Mastered format.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Saint

Re: Problem formatting a dvd
Thanks for the reply, If I just fast format the DVD-R DISK then it will not
work when I put it in my Samsung DVD player that is connect to my plasma TV,
I guess I'm going to have to buy different DVD-R Disks and see if I can
find some that are compatible with my home DVD player.
Steve
"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> Saint wrote:
>> Well I figured out half of the problem, I now have figured out how to
>> format a DVD-R Disk, I only have to insert the DVD and the Autoplay
>> box comes up and I pick burn files to disk using Windows and click on
>> Show formatting options and select Mastered Formatting option.
>>
>> But can someone help me do the same with a DVD-R Disk,
>> I insert the DVD-R Disk and nothing happens, the Autoplay box does
>> not come up so I can't select the format option, I go into My
>> Computer and click on the E: DVD DRIVE and if I go and click on
>> format it only gives me one option to fast format the DVD disk but
>> then it will format it (Live File Format) and I want Mastered Format,
>> How do I format the DVD +R Disk as Mastered ??? Sorry for all the
>> stupid questions but I am new to using DVD'S and am struggling to
>> figure this out. Steve

> ==================================
> Just burn the disk...formatting is not an
> issue when using the Mastered format.
>
> --
>

> John Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience

Curious

Re: Problem formatting a dvd
DVD and CD disks are automatically formatted when you write to them. Just
make that they are Finished before you take them to another player if you
write unfinished option.

"Saint" <slstdenis@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply, If I just fast format the DVD-R DISK then it will
> not work when I put it in my Samsung DVD player that is connect to my
> plasma TV, I guess I'm going to have to buy different DVD-R Disks and see
> if I can find some that are compatible with my home DVD player.
> Steve
> "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
>> Saint wrote:
>>> Well I figured out half of the problem, I now have figured out how to
>>> format a DVD-R Disk, I only have to insert the DVD and the Autoplay
>>> box comes up and I pick burn files to disk using Windows and click on
>>> Show formatting options and select Mastered Formatting option.
>>>
>>> But can someone help me do the same with a DVD-R Disk,
>>> I insert the DVD-R Disk and nothing happens, the Autoplay box does
>>> not come up so I can't select the format option, I go into My
>>> Computer and click on the E: DVD DRIVE and if I go and click on
>>> format it only gives me one option to fast format the DVD disk but
>>> then it will format it (Live File Format) and I want Mastered Format,
>>> How do I format the DVD +R Disk as Mastered ??? Sorry for all the
>>> stupid questions but I am new to using DVD'S and am struggling to
>>> figure this out. Steve

>> ==================================
>> Just burn the disk...formatting is not an
>> issue when using the Mastered format.
>>
>> --
>>

>> John Inzer MS-MVP
>> Digital Media Experience

Saint

Re: Problem formatting a dvd
Well then I must have a problem with the DVD burner in the HP Pavilion dv7
notebook, On my Windows xp machine I started Convertxtodvd3 software and it
would convert my .avi movie and then burn the converted movie to my DVD-r
disk and everything was done the DVD-r disk would eject and it was finished.
Now with Vista Home Premium I try the same thing and CONVERTXTODVD3 software
converts the .AVI File and then stops and pops out the DVD-r and asks for a
disk to write to , it will not write to the disk unless it's formatted.

What I would like to do is format several disks and get them ready in
advance so I can then convert and burn in one session, but again I need to
format in mastered format, Why is it so hard to do a little thing like this
in Vista, it's unbelievable that I just can't put in a DVD-r disk and a box
would come up and give me a choice to either format in : format live file or
format mastered, this should not be rocket science and have me pulling my
hair out for several days and wasting several good DVD disk trying to figure
this out.

Is there a freeware program out there that will, when I put a disk into my
drive just come up and ask me if I want to do a live file format or
mastered.
thanks for try to help, I really appreacate all the post on this subject .
Steve

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> DVD and CD disks are automatically formatted when you write to them.
> Just make that they are Finished before you take them to another player if
> you write unfinished option.

Curious

Re: Problem formatting a dvd
2 things to try:
1. try formatting live and then closing/mastering when you are done.
2. Try not putting a blank DVD in the drive till the program asks you to.