Problem with dvd compatibility

Saint

Problem with dvd compatibility
I tried to post this in Vista General newsgroup but some people are getting
off subject and taking over my post so I will try this newsgroup,

The Name of the DVD Player in my notebook is Sony bc5500s Optiarc BD Rom

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook and tried to convert and burn a AVI movie
to Verbatim DVD-R ,I have to Format the disk first using the DVD Player and
it runs on my DVD player in the HP Notebook I am running
Windows Vista Home Premium, when I try to play the disk in my Samsung HD870
DVD
Player hooked to my plasma TV it will not work.

If I use the same DVD-R Disk and do the same thing on my Windows XP
Notebook The disk runs on my Samsung DVD Player and runs on my HP Notebook
DVD Player

Why does the DVD DISK I burn and convert on the Windows Vista Notebook not
want to work on my Samsung DVD player ??? , DO I need to make any changes
to the HP notebook DVD Recorder to have my disks become compatible so they
will run on all Home DVD Players, I would like the DVD'S I burn to be
compatible with all DVD home players, are there special DVD Disks that
will play on all DVD Home recorders I can buy.

I will be selling the DVD'S to the public and need them to play in all DVD
Players
Steve
Any help appreciated.

Steve

John Inzer

Re: Problem with dvd compatibility
Saint wrote:
> I tried to post this in Vista General newsgroup but some people are
> getting off subject and taking over my post so I will try this
> newsgroup,
> The Name of the DVD Player in my notebook is Sony bc5500s Optiarc BD
> Rom
> I have a HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook and tried to convert and burn a AVI
> movie to Verbatim DVD-R ,I have to Format the disk first using the
> DVD Player and it runs on my DVD player in the HP Notebook I am
> running Windows Vista Home Premium, when I try to play the disk in my
> Samsung
> HD870 DVD
> Player hooked to my plasma TV it will not work.
>
> If I use the same DVD-R Disk and do the same thing on my Windows XP
> Notebook The disk runs on my Samsung DVD Player and runs on my HP
> Notebook DVD Player
>
> Why does the DVD DISK I burn and convert on the Windows Vista
> Notebook not want to work on my Samsung DVD player ??? , DO I need to
> make any changes to the HP notebook DVD Recorder to have my disks
> become compatible so they will run on all Home DVD Players, I would
> like the DVD'S I burn to be compatible with all DVD home players, are
> there special DVD Disks that will play on all DVD Home recorders I can
> buy.
>
> I will be selling the DVD'S to the public and need them to play in
> all DVD Players
> Steve
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Steve

=====================================
If the disk was formatted when you elected to burn
a DVD you apparently used the Live File System
Format. In order for the DVD to be playable on
free standing DVD players...you need to use the
Mastered format.

Maybe the following articles will offer some ideas:

Windows Vista -
Burn a CD or DVD
http://tinyurl.com/29uy2o
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...316981033.mspx

Which CD or DVD format should I use?
http://tinyurl.com/2mybuf
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...06cbe1033.mspx

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Saint

Re: Problem with dvd compatibility
Can't thank you enough for the information John, I was not aware that there
were two different ways to format a DVD disk, I have been trying to format
the disk in Mastered but can't seem to figure out how to, It says there are
no file ready, but I would like too just put in a DVD and format it but it
says there are no files ready, I just want to get several DVD's ready but
can't get the computer too do it, anyway I'll keep trying or I'll just go
out and buy the DVD's already formatted.
Steve

Saint wrote:
> Can't thank you enough for the information John, I was not aware that
> there were two different ways to format a DVD disk, I have been
> trying to format the disk in Mastered but can't seem to figure out
> how to, It says there are no file ready, but I would like too just
> put in a DVD and format it but it says there are no files ready, I
> just want to get several DVD's ready but can't get the computer too
> do it, anyway I'll keep trying or I'll just go out and buy the DVD's
> already formatted. Steve

============================
You're welcome.

New blank DVDs don't need formatting