Problems setting network buffering when inside IE window. - Vista

msftSkeptic

Problems setting network buffering when inside IE window. - Vista
Having trouble viewing live streaming video from a webpage that feeds a
windows media player data stream. The provider states a 748kb connection is
the minimum supported. Have a 1mb connection, (tested), and get constant
pausing every few seconds. Tried setting the performance tab in Windows
Media player but it does not cary over to the instance within IE. When I
right click on the window and try to change the settings in the IE window it
does not take or if it does get a message something like "buffering media"
and then have the pleasure of seeing a blank page.

It looks like the settings in HKCU\software\microsoft\mediaplay\preferences
are NOT USED.

Really frustrating. Any help greatly appreciated.

--
Always Curious, John G.
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Problems setting network buffering when inside IE window. - Vista

Most tests tend to count the high-end spike as the maximum, not the overall
line speed.
How do you see a blank page? That part doesn't make any sense at all.... ?
Or are you just saying that the video doesn't initially(?) show up?
What do the Statistics properties of the player say during playback of this
troublesome cliip?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"msftSkeptic" <msftSkeptic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having trouble viewing live streaming video from a webpage that feeds a
> windows media player data stream. The provider states a 748kb connection
> is
> the minimum supported. Have a 1mb connection, (tested), and get constant
> pausing every few seconds. Tried setting the performance tab in Windows
> Media player but it does not cary over to the instance within IE. When I
> right click on the window and try to change the settings in the IE window
> it
> does not take or if it does get a message something like "buffering media"
> and then have the pleasure of seeing a blank page.
>
> It looks like the settings in
> HKCU\software\microsoft\mediaplay\preferences
> are NOT USED.
>
> Really frustrating. Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Always Curious, John G.

msftSkeptic

Re: Problems setting network buffering when inside IE window. - Vi
Thanks for the response, the "window" that the clip is supposed to show in
is totally blank. Also no sound. As a curious additional piece of
information, another Vista machine at the same location (32 bit not the 64bit
that has the problem allows me to adjust the buffer size). I assume the
issue somehow is complicated/caused by Vista(64). Is it possible that the
64bit Vista machine has IE running in its own VM or address space and not
picking up the registry or WMP settings somehow? As you can see I know just
enough to be dangerous.

--
Always Curious, John G.