Windows Essencials [sic s/b Essentials] Media Codecs Update Servic

ssalava

Windows Essencials [sic s/b Essentials] Media Codecs Update Servic
For the last couple of days, I have a pop-up window after booting up that says:
"Windows Essencials [sic] Media Codecs Update Service". (Yes, someone
misspelled 'Essentials'!?)

It lists several codec-like items and say OK or whatever and it starts and
seems to finish but always leaves blank screen that says: "The following
components have been successfully updated." Given that the window is blank,
it leaves me with the impression that nothing got updated.

I'm running Vista Home Premium with WMP 11 and both are up-to-date. Is the
above a function of WMP 11? Or something else? I have JPG files of the
screenshots.

S.
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Essencials [sic s/b Essentials] Media Codecs Update Servic

That sounds like malware to me.... what did you install previous to this?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"ssalava" <ssalava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For the last couple of days, I have a pop-up window after booting up that
> says:
> "Windows Essencials [sic] Media Codecs Update Service". (Yes, someone
> misspelled 'Essentials'!?)
>
> It lists several codec-like items and say OK or whatever and it starts and
> seems to finish but always leaves blank screen that says: "The following
> components have been successfully updated." Given that the window is
> blank,
> it leaves me with the impression that nothing got updated.
>
> I'm running Vista Home Premium with WMP 11 and both are up-to-date. Is
> the
> above a function of WMP 11? Or something else? I have JPG files of the
> screenshots.
>
> S.

Clevo

Re: Windows Essencials [sic s/b Essentials] Media Codecs Update Servic

Sounds like malware to me too....

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
jlmulanax

RE: Windows Essencials [sic s/b Essentials] Media Codecs Update Servic
I'm getting the same thing too, running XP Home. These codecs look like they
may be from AVS Media as I recently downloaded their Media files.

Thanks
Jesse

"ssalava" wrote:

> For the last couple of days, I have a pop-up window after booting up that says:
> "Windows Essencials [sic] Media Codecs Update Service". (Yes, someone
> misspelled 'Essentials'!?)
>
> It lists several codec-like items and say OK or whatever and it starts and
> seems to finish but always leaves blank screen that says: "The following
> components have been successfully updated." Given that the window is blank,
> it leaves me with the impression that nothing got updated.
>
> I'm running Vista Home Premium with WMP 11 and both are up-to-date. Is the
> above a function of WMP 11? Or something else? I have JPG files of the
> screenshots.
>
> S.

dogsticker

Re: Windows Essencials [sic s/b Essentials] Media Codecs Update Servic

I have been receiving the same message for a couple of weeks on one of
my desktops running Windows XP. My research indicates this is a "bona
fide" update to one of several media programs - in my case "Windows
Media Player Classic." Not a Microsoft program. The update to these
programs became available early in February and so the "automatic
update" feature of the original program has been activated. The program
to which the update is referring should be installed somewhere visably
in your system, probably in the "Programs" folder (XP.) Essencials is a
correct Spanish spelling and appears in some texts. For better
information than I can give see: 'Windows Essencials Media Codecs Update
Service : Windows Vista Setup : Windows Vista IT Pro : Microsoft TechNet
Forums'
(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-928be4441949/)
I'm a novice so just for what its worth.

--
dogsticker