Complete freeze of Vista 32bit upon accessing certain jpg/avi files

exemplify

Complete freeze of Vista 32bit upon accessing certain jpg/avi files

Hello!

I have had several problems on a Sony Vaio with Vista freezing, and
managed to get rid of most of them by disabling Superfetch, Windows
Search and indexing services. However, a few still persist, namely this
one: whenever I attempt to copy/paste a folder containing pictures and
short .avis to another location, the copy window appears and promptly
ceases to respond, and the entire system winds up deep freezing within
about 20 seconds (only option is the power button to escape this). I can
recreate this also by simply selecting all the files in said folder and
clicking the 'Details' tab in the Properties window. This same sort of
freeze happens when attempting to un/install MS Visual C++ 2008, as the
system froze and required a reset during installation.

All drivers are up to date.

Things I have tried so far:
-disabling thumbnails
-uninstalling all 3rd party codecs

Side note: I have discovered through several HDD diagnostic tools that
there are a few bad sectors on the HDD, and I am not qualified to
understand if there might be a connection there. I'm looking to back up
all my files and replace the HDD, but this problem makes it difficult.

I apologize if I've left out something obvious I needed to include!
Thanks very much!
~Ryan

--
exemplify
Clevo

Re: Complete freeze of Vista 32bit upon accessing certain jpg/avi files

Since you have diagnosed HDD problems I think it's safe to say that you
need to confirm those findings and either repair or start backing up the
HDD with the view of replacing it.

Random freezes on a suspected HDD with bad sectors is time for action.

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
munchicken

Re: Complete freeze of Vista 32bit upon accessing certain jpg/avi files

exemplify,
I am having the same problem with folders containing avi's. Anytime I
try to manupliate the folder Vista locks up. It can happen when I open
the folder, copy the folder, etc. I have updated my video drivers just
in case, and have the same problem. I have also associated all my video
files to Windows Media Player. But I think this is something other than
a "display" problem, as I can recreate this just by trying to expand the
folder, without actually trying to view the contents. As for the hard
drive, it is fine. I have had this problem for quite some time and
finally narrowed it down. I was surprised to find someone else having
the same problem.

--
munchicken