WMM 6.0 won't work with .avi

RyaAndersen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WMM 6.0 won't work with .avi
Okay, i have tried and tried and still can't get this thing to work.

What i am trying to do:
Split up a vid i made using a camcorder. The original format of the vid is mpeg-4, BUT i used a converter and made it a .avi.

What i have done:
I used said converter to make mpeg-4 file a .avi file. It is readable by windows media player (same as the mpeg-4 file was). Before when the file was mpeg-4, windows movie maker wouldn't even recognize the file as anything (when i tried to import it). I tried forcing it into movie maker and only sound would play. Now that i have the AVI version, it recognizes it through the import but still does not play video.
I have also downloaded codecs and codec packets and everything. I can get other .avi vids to work with it, just not the ones i converted.

If you don't wish to read the jibberish above, Basically:
mpeg-4 converted to .avi will not run right in windows movie maker. Downloaded codecs, still didn't work.

Also, if my problem is the converter, any suggestions on a real good free download converter would make my day.
John Inzer

Re: WMM 6.0 won't work with .avi
RyaAndersen wrote:
> Okay, i have tried and tried and still can't get this thing to
> work.
>
> What i am trying to do:
> Split up a vid i made using a camcorder. The original format of the
> vid is mpeg-4, BUT i used a converter and made it a .avi.
>
> What i have done:
> I used said converter to make mpeg-4 file a .avi file. It is readable
> by windows media player (same as the mpeg-4 file was). Before when the
> file was mpeg-4, windows movie maker wouldn't even recognize the file
> as anything (when i tried to import it). I tried forcing it into movie
> maker and only sound would play. Now that i have the AVI version, it
> recognizes it through the import but still does not play video.
> I have also downloaded codecs and codec packets and everything. I can
> get other .avi vids to work with it, just not the ones i converted.
>
> If you don't wish to read the jibberish above, Basically:
> mpeg-4 converted to .avi will not run right in windows movie maker.
> Downloaded codecs, still didn't work.
>
> Also, if my problem is the converter, any suggestions on a real good
> free download converter would make my day.

No guarantees but...the free Quick Media
Converter may be worth a try:

Quick Media Converter
http://tinyurl.com/a35y6n
or...
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/index....92&Itemi d=72
(may the .wmv format would be a good choice)

Open the program.

Drag / Drop the video file into the program

Click the WMV icon on the tool bar

Choose...Windows Media Player format .wmv (custom resize)

Click...Start Conversion button

Good luck...

--

John Inzer MS-MVP