Problem opening pictures...

Scouts88

Problem opening pictures...

I am praying to the computer gods that someone on here has a solution to
my problem. I use Windows Vista Home Premium edition.
I was running out of space on my Dell XPS 1710 Laptop and
transferred all my photos and videos to an external hard drive. I
plugged the hard drive back into my laptop and now I can't view any of
my photos or videos. They are still there, taking up many, many GB's.
And on a few of the pictures, I can see them on the thumbnail. However,
when I go to open them a message pops up on Windows Photo Gallery
saying, *"Photo Gallery can't open this photo or video because it might
have been deleted or is in a location that is not available." *

I know I messed up bigtime by not backing them up. Is there any way
to save my files or am I out of luck. Any follow up questions you got,
send them my way. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

--
Scouts88
Scouts88

Re: Problem opening pictures...

An addendum,

I have been opening the files straight from my external hard drive.
When I attempt to copy the files to my laptop it says "Item not
found...this file is no longer in the F: etc..."
When I unplug the hard drive and plug it back in, I can view about
50-60% of the pictures in thumbnails and even open them...but after a
couple of minutes it gives me the same message about the file maybe
being deleted.

--
Scouts88
Blackbird

Re: Problem opening pictures...

"Scouts88" <guest@unknown-email.com> schreef in bericht

> An addendum,
>
> I have been opening the files straight from my external hard drive.
> When I attempt to copy the files to my laptop it says "Item not
> found...this file is no longer in the F: etc..."
> When I unplug the hard drive and plug it back in, I can view about
> 50-60% of the pictures in thumbnails and even open them...but after a
> couple of minutes it gives me the same message about the file maybe
> being deleted.
>

> --
> Scouts88

try the 'opening with' feature ater right clicking the pictures, and try to
open with another program. I'm sure that Irfanview will do the trick (free
download).

dbknox

Scouts88;945606 Wrote:
> An addendum,
>
> I have been opening the files straight from my external hard drive.
> When I attempt to copy the files to my laptop it says "Item not
> found...this file is no longer in the F: etc..."
> When I unplug the hard drive and plug it back in, I can view about
> 50-60% of the pictures in thumbnails and even open them...but after a
> couple of minutes it gives me the same message about the file maybe
> being deleted.

Just a thought maybe worth a try, you say that the disk shows "many
gbs" being used, have you tried plugging in the external hard drive on a
friends computer ( xp or vista) , to see if you can open your photos? It
may be a bad driver for your external hard drive that is fouling you up.
If it does work else where then we will have some place to work from.

--
dbknox