Sounds works sometimes, then not, then again, ...

De Vee

Sounds works sometimes, then not, then again, ...
I've read interesting posts about realtek audio on Vista. I have a similar
problem as most of these people, except that I don't connect my WMCenter to
speakers, but to an amplifier.
THe connection cable is an optical one. So realtek audio displays an icon
for "realtek digital output" and one for "speakers". Through trial and error
in the past I found out that the first is for the digital connection (optical
cable), the latter for the analog connection (red/white cinch).
I've had problems in the past, which I was able to resolve by playing with
enabling and disabling devices or rebooting the PC, reconfiguring the sound
in the WMCenter application, ... but it was never clear what exactly resolved
my problem.
This time the problem occurred again: I listened to the radio on my WMC this
morning, switched off the PC (standby kind of mode on the ACER Media center
PC). When I wanted to listen to the radio again tonight no sound to be heard.
(not only in te WMCenter application, but no system sounds, nothing). I've
done the same checks as always. Everything should be working and the little
green "volume" bars next to my realtek output device icon in the "sound" box
move nicely up and down when playing test sounds, but no sound to be heard....
Any idea how I can resolve this problem once and for all??

dbknox

Re: Sounds works sometimes, then not, then again, ...

De Vee;931483 Wrote:
> I've read interesting posts about realtek audio on Vista. I have a
> similar
> problem as most of these people, except that I don't connect my
> WMCenter to
> speakers, but to an amplifier.
> THe connection cable is an optical one. So realtek audio displays an
> icon
> for "realtek digital output" and one for "speakers". Through trial and
> error
> in the past I found out that the first is for the digital connection
> (optical
> cable), the latter for the analog connection (red/white cinch).
> I've had problems in the past, which I was able to resolve by playing
> with
> enabling and disabling devices or rebooting the PC, reconfiguring the
> sound
> in the WMCenter application, ... but it was never clear what exactly
> resolved
> my problem.
> This time the problem occurred again: I listened to the radio on my WMC
> this
> morning, switched off the PC (standby kind of mode on the ACER Media
> center
> PC). When I wanted to listen to the radio again tonight no sound to be
> heard.
> (not only in te WMCenter application, but no system sounds, nothing).
> I've
> done the same checks as always. Everything should be working and the
> little
> green "volume" bars next to my realtek output device icon in the
> "sound" box
> move nicely up and down when playing test sounds, but no sound to be
> heard....
> Any idea how I can resolve this problem once and for all??

Hi *De Vee* I had a couple of friends computers that they asked me to
fix for them and after hooking up my speakers to one of them ( not sure
which one it was) and booting up my computer again, I had no sound with
all the same symptoms as you describe. I went into "device" manager and
uninstalled the sound card and rebooted. Vista installed the sound card
again and all is well. It doesn't hurt to try this, Hope it works for
you.

--
dbknox
De Vee

Re: Sounds works sometimes, then not, then again, ...
Thanks dbknox. I tried doing this. Unfortunately, apart from Windows crashing
and having to recover, nothing much happened...
It is really weird. I really have the impression it is related to the
standby mode. When I posted this message, I switched off the MC (in standby).
Next day when I switched it on everything worked fine again. For a couple of
days I was able to put it in standby and back on again without any problems.
Yesterday however I put the system in standby again and today, when I
switched it on, I lost my sounds again. I tried everything, from disabling
the device to uninstalling the sound card, but I still end up with a "Realtek
Digital Output" device in the "sound" menu that appears to be working
properly, but doesn't. Even when I play a test sound, the "volume bars" move
up temporarily, but no sound to be heard.
Could this be related to the Codec? I assume not since the volume bars
indicate that the sound is played back, meaning that the codec produces
sound...
I'll put it in standby again and hope that some magic elfs come and repair
it again tonite....