Missing Pictures

David Williams

Missing Pictures
I keep my photos in folders by subjects in Pictures. I have just noticed
that some of the folders are empty. I have done a search but only got photos
listed in Pictures and Indexed locations so I can't tell if they have been
moved somewhere else.
Does any one know what has happened. How do I get a jpg search on the whole
of my computer. I can't see a tab for that.

--
David G Williams

Adam Albright

Re: Missing Pictures
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:22:51 +0100, "David Williams"
<dgw@llain.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I keep my photos in folders by subjects in Pictures. I have just noticed
>that some of the folders are empty. I have done a search but only got photos
>listed in Pictures and Indexed locations so I can't tell if they have been
>moved somewhere else.
>Does any one know what has happened. How do I get a jpg search on the whole
>of my computer. I can't see a tab for that.

Actaully SEARCH is much better in Vista, once you learn how to use it.

Click on the advanced search option. By default it is limited to only
search indexed folders, unclick that and pick one of the other options
on the menu. Also you may wish to CHECK non-indexed and hidden files,
also a option on the advanced menu page.

It can be confusing. If you begin searching for "Bob" you may get a
whole bunch of hits with every file on your system containing the word
"Bob", then if use advanced search to look for .jpg, instead of
getting all you images with a file extension of .jpg, you'll now get
only files that match Bob.jpg. This is Vista Helping you. Well, it
tries.

Instead you need to use the search box at the top right, and clear
anything already there, then enter your search, example to find all
your .jpg files, regardless where they are located just enter .jpg,
(top right under advanced search) making sure before you start you
again have set to search "everywhere" or a whole drive you know it has
to be on, and also remember to check include non indexed.

Confusing? Yes! ;-)

For example Search has some build in intelligence. If you do a search
for Bill.jpg (remember the file extension if you only want .jpg images
of Bill) is also will return all images of Billy. The reason being
obviously Billy as Bill in it. So this time it works to your
advantage.

You can also limit the search by other parameters, like a date range
or by tags which you've added to files. Vista can also look inside
files. So if you wrote a Word document and can't remember the name of
it but do know it as the word "Internet" somewhere in the document,
you can search that way also. That can be very slow, and the few times
I tired it caused a run time error crashing Explorer.

David Williams

Re: Missing Pictures
Adam,
Thank you very much, that was brilliant.
I revealed lots of files that hadn't shown up on my previous searches.
Sadly, I couldn't find the missing ones. Why some of the folders should have
emptied and not the others is a mystery.
Thanks again
David

--
David G Williams

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:22:51 +0100, "David Williams"
> <dgw@llain.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I keep my photos in folders by subjects in Pictures. I have just noticed
>>that some of the folders are empty. I have done a search but only got
>>photos
>>listed in Pictures and Indexed locations so I can't tell if they have been
>>moved somewhere else.
>>Does any one know what has happened. How do I get a jpg search on the
>>whole
>>of my computer. I can't see a tab for that.

> Actaully SEARCH is much better in Vista, once you learn how to use it.
>
> Click on the advanced search option. By default it is limited to only
> search indexed folders, unclick that and pick one of the other options
> on the menu. Also you may wish to CHECK non-indexed and hidden files,
> also a option on the advanced menu page.
>
> It can be confusing. If you begin searching for "Bob" you may get a
> whole bunch of hits with every file on your system containing the word
> "Bob", then if use advanced search to look for .jpg, instead of
> getting all you images with a file extension of .jpg, you'll now get
> only files that match Bob.jpg. This is Vista Helping you. Well, it
> tries.
>
> Instead you need to use the search box at the top right, and clear
> anything already there, then enter your search, example to find all
> your .jpg files, regardless where they are located just enter .jpg,
> (top right under advanced search) making sure before you start you
> again have set to search "everywhere" or a whole drive you know it has
> to be on, and also remember to check include non indexed.
>
> Confusing? Yes! ;-)
>
> For example Search has some build in intelligence. If you do a search
> for Bill.jpg (remember the file extension if you only want .jpg images
> of Bill) is also will return all images of Billy. The reason being
> obviously Billy as Bill in it. So this time it works to your
> advantage.
>
> You can also limit the search by other parameters, like a date range
> or by tags which you've added to files. Vista can also look inside
> files. So if you wrote a Word document and can't remember the name of
> it but do know it as the word "Internet" somewhere in the document,
> you can search that way also. That can be very slow, and the few times
> I tired it caused a run time error crashing Explorer.

Adam Albright

Re: Missing Pictures
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:54:23 +0100, "David Williams"
<dgw@llain.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Adam,
>Thank you very much, that was brilliant.
>I revealed lots of files that hadn't shown up on my previous searches.
>Sadly, I couldn't find the missing ones. Why some of the folders should have
>emptied and not the others is a mystery.
>Thanks again
>David

You're welcome. What you can also do manually to help find files is
use Windows Explorer. (the File shell, not the browser) I just wrote a
response in the general group which may help since it is related. That
reply is shown below. I have lots of files on my system, over a
million. Sometimes is sure does get hard to find one. Several ways
Explorer can help. If you know what folder the file should be in, go
to that folder. Next set to show detail view. Now the following pretty
much covers it. I frequently change the sort to 'type'. This way, very
quickly, all the .jpg files get sorted, then any other types.

>I'm trying to find latest (or newest) files.

A two step process most of the time. First go to the folder you want
to sort by dates, first if not already change to view details so you
see the columns in the right window pane.

Right click on a blank area, then Sort by. Do you see the option you
want to sort by on the list? If so, check it. If not, click the more
option.

Oh geez... now there are hundreds of options to pick from. Scan the
list and check the ones you want to add. Now try again. If you don't
see the option you checked the trick part is to go back to the more
list then move the options you want further up on the list by clicking
repeatedly on the move up button. Now try.

Bonus tricks:

# 1 Note that if you hover your mouse over any vertical boundry
between columns in the column heading row while holding down your
left mouse button you can resize the column's width.

# 2 Now if your want to rearrage how the columns appear, move your
mouse over a column header until it is highlighted and changes
color. Again while holding down your left mouse drag the column
left or right to change it's relative position. This only impacts
how the columns appear, not how they get sorted.

# 3 You can sort by any column as well by just clicking on the
column heading. Example, if you had a 1,000 files, you may
want to sort by date modified. To do that, just click on
that column heading, assuming you added a date modifed column.

By the way, that's the option you want to add, date modified from the
more list if you want to sort by date. But there are several similar
options to try too.

Now the best tip. Vista uses basic AI to decide what to show in
folders. That isn't always the best choice, but it tries. Since you
mentioned music try this:

Make a folder that has nothing but audio files. Vista should by itself
add some fields like Artist, Album, Genre, track number and a star
ranking system. With just a few clicks like explained above you could
sort your music by type, artist, etc..

Since the fields are editable, you can modify them to your own tastes
like changing genre or adding notes. To do that, right click on a
file, properties, detail tab. Now the trick here is click in the white
space under the detail column in the window that opens. It should show
a small text box where you can add/change details on many fields that
get remembered.

David Williams

Re: Missing Pictures
Thanks again, Adam.