New Vista pc - organizing photos question

FortuneSmiles

New Vista pc - organizing photos question

Hey all - looking for opinions. I have just moved to a new pc with
Vista Home Premium 64 bit and I am in the process of moving my old photo
collection. Previously (and possibly again depending on my feeling
about Windows Phot Gallery) my photos had been organized within the My
Photos folder. Adobe created it's own sub folder and then placed
additional sub folders within that for "digital camera photos", "scanned
photos" etc. When I imported pictures it would then place an additional
sub folder labeled by the date of import within the appropriate folder.
As I move my pics to my new pc I have been considering doing away with
all of these sub folders and just putting all photos directly into the
photos folder. With proper tagging - aren't these sub folders
completely unnecessary? Just wondering if I am missing anything.

--
FortuneSmiles
PhiAlv

RE: New Vista pc - organizing photos question
Hi FortuneSmiles:

In my opinion, if the number of files within any given sub-directory is
small, then you 'probably' can combine them in fewer but larger directories.
However, if those directories end up containing lots of images (and if those
images are large) then your image browser (e.g., Adobe Photoshop Bridge)
might run slowly (or crash) as it tries to deal with the load. It's your call
as to how much it can handle within any given directory. That said, I've yet
to come up with a good system for managing images. I think it requires more
thought and effort than I've given it yet.

Regards,
Phil

"FortuneSmiles" wrote:

> Hey all - looking for opinions. I have just moved to a new pc with
> Vista Home Premium 64 bit and I am in the process of moving my old photo
> collection. Previously (and possibly again depending on my feeling
> about Windows Phot Gallery) my photos had been organized within the My
> Photos folder. Adobe created it's own sub folder and then placed
> additional sub folders within that for "digital camera photos", "scanned
> photos" etc. When I imported pictures it would then place an additional
> sub folder labeled by the date of import within the appropriate folder.
> As I move my pics to my new pc I have been considering doing away with
> all of these sub folders and just putting all photos directly into the
> photos folder. With proper tagging - aren't these sub folders
> completely unnecessary? Just wondering if I am missing anything.
>

> --
> FortuneSmiles

FortuneSmiles

Re: New Vista pc - organizing photos question

Thanks. I have put some thought into it and haven't come up with a
great solution. I tend to be a organization freak and so I want my
folders organized. I also do not want there to be an excessive amount
of folders. I guess I should get over that. Good photo organizing
software - like Adobe Photoshop Elements (or even the one built into
Vista) allows for tagging and gallery creation and without concern for
where the photo actually resides. I guess I should allow it to continue
to create date of import folders within the Digital Camera folder within
the Adobe folder for imported pictures and within date scanned folders
within the scanned photos folder within the Adobe folder for scanned
pictures or slides. Method to it's madness I suppose. I have more than
3000 photos - most taken with a 7mp camera or scanned at high resolution
and so they are large.

--
FortuneSmiles
C.Skaggs

Re: New Vista pc - organizing photos question
Take a look at Google Picasa
It's one of the best photo managers I've used
If you have a gmail account, it comes with a gig of online storage to share
your photos with family and friends.