CP problem with media player with generic monitor

Paul

CP problem with media player with generic monitor
Vista 32bit sp1:

Main monitor is a older CRT and I have disabled EDID (with needle nose
pliers) in order to get the high resolution I need in vista. The problem
with this is that when in clone mode (with a flat panel tv) media player
refuses to play DVDs due to content protection. I think this is a built in
restriction with monitors that won't plug and play, in this case my generic
monitor, not the tv. I think they are afraid my unknown monitor could be a
high speed DVD reproduction robot, ha! The fix is to use VLC. Seems a shame
though. Either they should fix the resolution lockdown on monitors, or fix
the content protection chain nonsense. Can any of the experts here comment
on this stuff?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: CP problem with media player with generic monitor

I wonder if the other player you're naming seems to be ignoring content
playback restrictions that would get most companies in hot water. If you're
seriously interested in this arena, you might want to investigate MPEG-LA
and that sort of thing. But this is purely speculation.

--
Speaking for myself only.

Paul

Re: CP problem with media player with generic monitor
Yes vlc must be ignoring the 'illegal' monitor. I know it's CP on the
generic monitor because if I unplug that monitor, make the hdtv the primary
monitor, DVDs will play in media player.

From the blogs I have read, microsoft added CP so they wouldn't get sued...
they have very deep pockets and would be the main litigation target. This
makes the users go to alternatives to do something that should be a built
in no brainer. If they keep doing this I will eventually have to go to
linux for home theater. Consumers are like the internet, we route around
damage...

> I wonder if the other player you're naming seems to be ignoring content
> playback restrictions that would get most companies in hot water. If
> you're seriously interested in this arena, you might want to investigate
> MPEG-LA and that sort of thing. But this is purely speculation.

Clevo

Re: CP problem with media player with generic monitor

I'm no expert and the only comment I can think of is to buy a LCD
monitor...sure to be some bargains somewhere and you'll save on
electricity

--
Clevo

Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1