Problem With Video

Lisa

Problem With Video
I'm having a problem watching videos. About an hour into a movie, I lose the
video. My laptop freezes up and my screen goes black, although I still have
audio. I have to power it down and then restart Windows normally. I have
NVIDIA GeForce GO 7150 graphics w. 1071 mb shared video. It is set to "Let
3D Application Decide". Can anyone tell me what I need to do to stop these
abnormal shutdowns?

HP Pavilion Laptop
AMD Turion 64x2 Dual Core Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
3 GB memory
32 bit OS
250GB Hard Drive

Curious

Re: Problem With Video
If you still have audio then your laptop is not freezing up just your
graphics card is freezing up.
Is there any possibility that your laptop is overheating due to lack of
adequate ventilation through the vents on the bottom?
"Lisa" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem watching videos. About an hour into a movie, I lose
> the video. My laptop freezes up and my screen goes black, although I still
> have audio. I have to power it down and then restart Windows normally. I
> have NVIDIA GeForce GO 7150 graphics w. 1071 mb shared video. It is set to
> "Let 3D Application Decide". Can anyone tell me what I need to do to stop
> these abnormal shutdowns?
>
> HP Pavilion Laptop
> AMD Turion 64x2 Dual Core Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
> 3 GB memory
> 32 bit OS
> 250GB Hard Drive

Lisa

Re: Problem With Video
How could I determine if it's ventilation?

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> If you still have audio then your laptop is not freezing up just your
> graphics card is freezing up.
> Is there any possibility that your laptop is overheating due to lack of
> adequate ventilation through the vents on the bottom?
> "Lisa" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having a problem watching videos. About an hour into a movie, I lose
>> the video. My laptop freezes up and my screen goes black, although I
>> still have audio. I have to power it down and then restart Windows
>> normally. I have NVIDIA GeForce GO 7150 graphics w. 1071 mb shared video.
>> It is set to "Let 3D Application Decide". Can anyone tell me what I need
>> to do to stop these abnormal shutdowns?
>>
>> HP Pavilion Laptop
>> AMD Turion 64x2 Dual Core Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
>> 3 GB memory
>> 32 bit OS
>> 250GB Hard Drive

Curious

Re: Problem With Video
Well as long as your laptop is sitting on a hard surface so it can always
have ventilation and if you do not see dust collected on the bottom vents
then it is probably not a ventilation problem. If there is dust on the vents
such it out with a vacuum cleaner,
> How could I determine if it's ventilation?
>
> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> If you still have audio then your laptop is not freezing up just your
>> graphics card is freezing up.
>> Is there any possibility that your laptop is overheating due to lack of
>> adequate ventilation through the vents on the bottom?
>> "Lisa" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm having a problem watching videos. About an hour into a movie, I lose
>>> the video. My laptop freezes up and my screen goes black, although I
>>> still have audio. I have to power it down and then restart Windows
>>> normally. I have NVIDIA GeForce GO 7150 graphics w. 1071 mb shared
>>> video. It is set to "Let 3D Application Decide". Can anyone tell me what
>>> I need to do to stop these abnormal shutdowns?
>>>
>>> HP Pavilion Laptop
>>> AMD Turion 64x2 Dual Core Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
>>> 3 GB memory
>>> 32 bit OS
>>> 250GB Hard Drive

Lisa

Re: Problem With Video
When I watch movies, it's sitting on my lap; not a hard surface. I don't
see any dust in the vents but I vacuumed just in case. Could I need a more
powerful graphics card? My laptop is only 7 mos old.

> Well as long as your laptop is sitting on a hard surface so it can always
> have ventilation and if you do not see dust collected on the bottom vents
> then it is probably not a ventilation problem. If there is dust on the
> vents such it out with a vacuum cleaner,
> "Lisa" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> How could I determine if it's ventilation?
>>
>> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> If you still have audio then your laptop is not freezing up just your
>>> graphics card is freezing up.
>>> Is there any possibility that your laptop is overheating due to lack of
>>> adequate ventilation through the vents on the bottom?

Curious

Re: Problem With Video
That's your problem since the laptop in on your soft lap all or almost all
of the vents which have fans to suck air into the computer which are located
on the laptops bottom are blocked. Take a look and you will see them
> When I watch movies, it's sitting on my lap; not a hard surface. I don't
> see any dust in the vents but I vacuumed just in case. Could I need a
> more powerful graphics card? My laptop is only 7 mos old.
>

> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Well as long as your laptop is sitting on a hard surface so it can always
>> have ventilation and if you do not see dust collected on the bottom vents
>> then it is probably not a ventilation problem. If there is dust on the
>> vents such it out with a vacuum cleaner,
>> "Lisa" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> How could I determine if it's ventilation?

Lisa

Re: Problem With Video
Really? Well thanks so much. I'll try putting it on a hard surface.

> That's your problem since the laptop in on your soft lap all or almost all
> of the vents which have fans to suck air into the computer which are
> located on the laptops bottom are blocked. Take a look and you will see
> them
> "Lisa" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> When I watch movies, it's sitting on my lap; not a hard surface. I don't
>> see any dust in the vents but I vacuumed just in case. Could I need a
>> more powerful graphics card? My laptop is only 7 mos old.
>>

>> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Well as long as your laptop is sitting on a hard surface so it can
>>> always have ventilation and if you do not see dust collected on the
>>> bottom vents then it is probably not a ventilation problem. If there is
>>> dust on the vents such it out with a vacuum cleaner,

Curious

Re: Problem With Video
It works on a hard surface because the laptop has four feet to keep it
elevated over a hard surface.
> Really? Well thanks so much. I'll try putting it on a hard surface.
>

> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> That's your problem since the laptop in on your soft lap all or almost
>> all of the vents which have fans to suck air into the computer which are
>> located on the laptops bottom are blocked. Take a look and you will see
>> them
>> "Lisa" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> When I watch movies, it's sitting on my lap; not a hard surface. I
>>> don't see any dust in the vents but I vacuumed just in case. Could I
>>> need a more powerful graphics card? My laptop is only 7 mos old.

Lisa

Re: Problem With Video
Thank you so much. That's an easy problem to solve and inexpensive too! LOL!