Play DVDs on RealPlayer or VLC Players?

John Inzer

Re: Play DVDs on RealPlayer or VLC Players?
Lonestar wrote:
> As was posted earlier, my Vista Home Premium will not play DVDs in
> Media Player like it's supposed to (colored, blocky video). It may
> be the CODECS, but I'll play with that later. Meanwhile, can I
> download free RealPlayer or VLC and play DVDs, or do these need an
> extra set of CODECS to play commercial DVDs?
>
> I'm at a loss -- my super-duper Vista Home Premium SHOULD play DVDs,
> but no...
>
> Thanks.
>
> EW

====================
VLC should play the DVDs.

VLC Media Player
http://www.videolan.org/

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Play DVDs on RealPlayer or VLC Players?

The version on Windows Update should be free of crippling driver errors but
could potentially have visual problems like you see. The version on the
vendor's web site may have better user-level (visual) functionality than
that on Windows Update.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Lonestar" <ewyatt_del_me_@excite.com> wrote in message

> "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
>> Lonestar wrote:
>> > As was posted earlier, my Vista Home Premium will not play DVDs in
>> > Media Player like it's supposed to (colored, blocky video). It may
>> > be the CODECS, but I'll play with that later. Meanwhile, can I
>> > download free RealPlayer or VLC and play DVDs, or do these need an
>> > extra set of CODECS to play commercial DVDs?
>> >
>> > I'm at a loss -- my super-duper Vista Home Premium SHOULD play DVDs,
>> > but no...
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > EW

>> ====================
>> VLC should play the DVDs.
>>
>> VLC Media Player
>> http://www.videolan.org/
>>

> John,
>
> Thanks for the info. Now suppose that my problem is not with WMP or Media
> Center, or the Vista Codecs. Is it possible that my video card (nVidia LE
> 7300) has driver problems? Note: the card plays EVERYTHING else --
> Internet
> streaming video, you name it. Microsoft Update shows my drivers to be up
> date and I have all MS updates on my Vista SP1 system. Perhaps the ONLY
> way
> to tell if it's my video card is to try VLC player. If that player also
> shows blocky, pixilated colored video, then it must be the my video card
> system, since VLC contains it own codecs (I'm mumbling to myself).
>
> Any more thoughts? This problem has showed up before to other users on
> various newsgroups. Solutions vary, but mostly there are no good answers.
>
> Thanks.....
>
> EW

Lonestar

Re: Play DVDs on RealPlayer or VLC Players?

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> Lonestar wrote:
> > As was posted earlier, my Vista Home Premium will not play DVDs in
> > Media Player like it's supposed to (colored, blocky video). It may
> > be the CODECS, but I'll play with that later. Meanwhile, can I
> > download free RealPlayer or VLC and play DVDs, or do these need an
> > extra set of CODECS to play commercial DVDs?
> >
> > I'm at a loss -- my super-duper Vista Home Premium SHOULD play DVDs,
> > but no...
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > EW

> VLC should play the DVDs.
>
> VLC Media Player
> http://www.videolan.org/

John,

Thanks for the info. Now suppose that my problem is not with WMP or Media
Center, or the Vista Codecs. Is it possible that my video card (nVidia LE
7300) has driver problems? Note: the card plays EVERYTHING else -- Internet
streaming video, you name it. Microsoft Update shows my drivers to be up to